Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Searching for a nice *clean* beige paint for my hallway...

lauren0319
12 years ago

Love my hardworking husband, but he moves SO fast! I mentioned yesterday (seriously- yesterday!!!) that I would love to repaint our blue upstairs halllway... the blue is really random (was done by the previous owner) and is visible from downstairs. Our entire house is a darker beige and I want something a little lighter, crisper, and cleaner. We are big fans of Sherwin Williams paint. I want to avoid anything with pink undertones.... just a clean crisp color. Any recs?

Thanks so much! :)

Comments (28)

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my hardworking husband- baseboards are already taped off and he has started priming- so I guess I need to make a decision soon ;)

• pps7
    12 years ago

I'm not familiar with SW colors but BM edgecomb gray or manchester tan are very popular.

• prairiemom61
    12 years ago

I don't have a SW color suggestion, but I'm really happy with Behr premium paint, primer+paint. It really does cover with one coat and the satin looks great in one of our empty nest rooms. I used Pecan Sandie. It only read pink after I hung the drapes. It's a nice light tan without the red drapes. Ignore the green carpet, it will be changed soon to a light brown. You don't even want to see the before pics!

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

SW Duration, Extra White base, Bone White custom match:
    Basic Colorant 02 32 64 128
    N1 Raw Umber ---- 8 -----1
    R3 Magenta ---------- 1 -1
    Y3 Deep Gold ---- 12--1

In our home this is the perfect warm, not pink neutral in our library. Reads very clean, not at all muddy which I despise. SW Creamy trim. HTH

• jenes
    12 years ago

I did half my house in Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige before selling it and received many compliments.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige is a really great color. A friend used it for her kitchen and it was warm but no funny undertones.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

We used SW Wool Skein in our living room and dining room. We used SW Quiver Tan (on the same color strip as Wool Skein) under the chair rail in the DR. I like it. :) SOrry, I don't have a recent picture for you.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I stumbled upon BM Sail Cloth and it's intriguing me. She refers to it as beige, I see it as more of a linen/parchment.

I know, not SW. Sorry! I'm not as familiar with SW.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Sail Cloth in rooms

• User
    12 years ago

I have a SW fan deck and the Kilim Beige is very pretty and has a yellowish tone to it.

The SW Wool Skein is a nice color too but it has a grayish tone. The Quiver tan is nice too but surprisingly dark.

Beige can be a hard color to get right, lighting can really make a difference too I think. The SW Fan decks are not expensive and worth the investment. I would pick one up and look through the colors to see what works best with what you already have on the walls as well as your lighting.

• dk4mich
    12 years ago

I recently used Kilim Beige to cover up my blue foyer and upstairs hallway. LOVE, LOVE the color. To me, it is very clean and has no undertones.

I had the Sherwin Williams colorist come to my house and she suggested Kilim Beige or Wool Skein. I, too, thought the Wool Skein had gray undertones. My kitchen is painted Butter Yellow by Valspar (Lowe's). The kitchen is visible at the end of the foyer. The adjoining living room is painted Sherwin Williams Rainwashed.

I don't think you could go wrong with Kilim Beige.

• newhouseorbust
    12 years ago

Love SW Perfect Greige

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

"I stumbled upon BM Sail Cloth and it's intriguing me. She refers to it as beige, I see it as more of a linen/parchment."
    hijack - Steph, I found the same blog when googling Sail Cloth & debating colors, and thus I just finished painting my kitchen & living room in Sail Cloth! I'd call it a pale beige or off-white, but my handyman asked what color I was painting and when I showed him, he said "oh, linen". It can have a slight pink/peach hue depending on lighting, though (could be the unfortunate purple in my room though, and I really only notice this when I'm home on lunch break, not morning or evening). Overall, I think Sail Cloth is a nice warm neutral. Definitely good for renting & selling, and reminds me a bit of Ballards catalog.

Lauren, wish I was more familiar with Sherwin Williams colors to offer help! I know I love the look of Rice Grain in other people's homes, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as "beige".

Here is a link that might be useful: This Favorite Colors blog has some Sherwin Williams colors listed

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Another vote for SW Kilim Beige as a good neutral. We have Antique White in most rooms (much more yellow than you want, I think) but a friend of mine has Kilim Beige throughout her house and it's beautiful.

You probably know this, but do take home a sample jar and paint a good big patch on the wall before you commit. Light and surroundings make a huge difference.

• CRD3
    12 years ago

I am painting my house with Behr Brown TeePee. My sister has it in her house and I love it!

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all :) We went to SW yesterday and I pinked up a sample of Kilim Beige. That's actually the color we painted our first house, and I know it's super common... we used to receive many compliments. I'm going to paint a sample today and see how it looks w/ the lighting. My only concern in the darker beige throughout our first floor. No clue what it is... but hopefully they will compliment each other, bc we are not planning on painting the entire house!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

It's super common for a reason, it's such a nice color.

• zaara10
    12 years ago

We love SW paint too and i'm currently working with 15 sw samples for our house! For our hallways and foyer, we're doing SW believable buff. it's very nice and neutral. another color which may work for u is SW realist beige. it didn't go with my other colors, but might be what you're looking for. wool skein is nice too, but it's a little grayish.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

FWIW, the Wool Skein does not have a grey undertone to it at all. In fact, if anything it has a slighly sagey-green undertone.

• User
    12 years ago

Well, if you look at Wool Skein using the fan deck with all the other beige's around it, it does. Just like on the fan deck Kilim Beige looks to have a yellow undertone.

• User
    12 years ago

Seriously I need to ask you how you trained your dh to be so motivated and does he give lessons?????

I was also going to suggest a great color SW Colony Buff. I never hear it mentioned, but I was very strongly considering it a while ago. I needed BM paints and when I went to colorcharts.org, it was listed as a good equivalent to the BM paints I selected and love (Putnam Ivory).

• nini804
    12 years ago

This may be too late...but one of the colors we are using in our new build is SW Grecian Ivory...it is just lovely, clean and does not compete with other colors. Good luck with your project!

• steph2000
    12 years ago

jessicaml - I'm glad I popped back in here so I could see your hijack. Interesting that you are seeing pinky/peachy undertones in your sail cloth, I would have never predicted that! I wonder if it has anything to do with your purple or not... Hmm...not minding the Ballards look, but surely not wanting the place to look like a rental.

Good luck with the splotching, Lauren. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Steph - actually, I might have to revise my thinking. I think it takes me a while to adjust to colors sometimes. I'm no longer really thinking of the paint as having peach hues, but if there are, the purple and yet-to-be-painted orange wood are likely to blame. I posted a couple pics on Domesticah's post about kitchen colors because Sail Cloth was a color she was considering. The rental comment was prompted by the fact that I first saw this color in the beautiful old apartment you linked to. In that case, I think it was a rental worth aspiring to! And while my home is much too modest to compare to Ballards, that's still what this color brings to mind. My mom is considering Sail Cloth for her house, too, since Palace White is more yellow than she wanted.

lauren - I'm sorry for continuing this hijack! I couldn't figure out how to send Steph a message off-forum or I would have. How did your samples turn out? Did you paint this weekend?

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

SW softer tan

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I used BM Bone White with BM White Trim and the walls are creamy but not yellow and show up as a warm light tan that is so neutral and peaceful.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I'm not trying to start an argument about the SW Wool Skein. I have the fan deck and it does look cooler than the other beiges, but on the wall it does not have a grey undertone...at least not in the 3 rooms in my house that I have it.

• kayec28
    12 years ago

BM Tapestry Beige. It's a favorite with designers, for what that's worth. No pink undertones.

Here is a link that might be useful: