Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

My house came without handles

violetwest
9 years ago

no handles or knobs on any of the kitchen or bath cabinets.

So -- do I need to add them? Is it weird not to have them? I don't really like not having them.

Should I put a knob/handle on every single drawer and cabinet front? Should they all match?

Is it a fairly easy DIY project to do so? (assuming I ever get around to learning how to use my drill)

Comments (15)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Doors and drawers get dirty if there is no handle or knob to use. However, I've lived in tons of apartments that didn't have handles and just washed the area that gets used when open and closing the door or drawer as a part of my cleaning routine. Also, I broke quite a few fingernails over the years opening drawers without a handle/knob.

It's really up to you and your budget whether you want to add handles or knobs. As for the DIY aspect, you can measure the first one of each type carefully and make a template so that all the others of that type can be drilled quickly while matching the placement of the first one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like handles and knobs much better...easier to grab and saves your fingernails and keeps the cabinets cleaner. Plus I like the "jewelry" it adds to the room...makes it look a lot richer.

If it's not a job you feel comfortable doing, learn how and then hire a kid from your high school who the shop teacher recommends. Then make sure s/he does it right...using a template to put the handles in the right place. A professional can do it but it will cost a lot more. Else find a retiree who likes to do odd jobs.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I didn,t add any to my new kitchen. They are just not needed .Even the drawers open and close easily with just a finger. Do whatever your comfortable with.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I think cabinets look unfinished/bare without some sort of pulls or knobs so I'd definitely add them. My preference is pulls. Make sure you make a jig so they are all in the same spot on every door/drawer. It's an easy DIY project.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"pulls" would be a handle type, right? I want something smooth that won't give me bruises when I (inevitably) run into it

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Yes, pulls are handles. I have never run into any cabinet hardware in any kitchen I've ever been in.

My pulls stick out 1-1/4" from the door front. It's a little further than the counter top edge. Never had a problem.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My old cabinet doors and drawer fronts didn't have knobs or pulls, same with my vanities. The had little carved out hand things in the back. I don't like the look or the hand grease build-up. Even on new sleek cabinets, I don't like the look. Just add what you like. I know people with the same cabinets I had and I say, you know, you can put knobs or pulls on those. They look at me like I'm speaking Martian.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

After roughly 18 years of using our kitchen w/o handles, the finish was worn off many corners. We did a facelift - painted the cabinets and walls and had new counters installed, and my absolute favorite thing was the addition of knobs and handles! DH installed them all, and only drilled one door in the wrong corner. :)

Donna

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

It's a very easy DIY project. You can pick up a set of plastic templates from HD/Lowes for $5 or so, one for drawers that hooks over the top and one for cabinets that hooks on the corner.

Then you just take a pencil and mark through the template holes, then drill through the pencil mark with the right-sized drill bit. Poke the screw through, screw down the knob, and you're done!

Easy-peasy. And much better looking than plain cabinets, IMO. Like jewelry.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

okay, guys -- thanks. This will go on my list. You may eventually see another post asking for opinions on specific handles.

dammit, another reason to learn to use the drill!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Definitely add hardware. It gives your cabinets a finished look. My DD gave her darling galley style kitchen a refresh and found knobs and pulls that were on clearance from Lowe's for a song. I love her kitchen and the hardware adds such a nice touch.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Out of everything new in my kitchen, the cabinet hardware was the only thing I never regretted and like as much today as I did then.

Beware: There are many choices from which to choose. I just spent a bundle on samples for my vanity and ended up going with the most inexpensive, old-fashioned knob of the bunch.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

You could do something like this....no template needed....you would just need a measure to center them on a drawer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finger pulls

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, too modern I think. I want something smooth that doesn't stick out too much. because I'm just that clumsy

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I've always been a proponent of knobs over handles because they only require one hole versus two to install, so they are easier to change out when you want to do an update. However, I am klutzy and catch my sleeve or pockets on the ones in the kitchen all of the time. (Yes, I am height challenged in addition to being a klutz.) The lever handles on room doors tend to grab my clothing, too.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida