Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mllinden

help with front door color

mllinden
14 years ago

I am about to paint my front door cottage red. My quandary is whether to paint the sidelights and storm white or keep them black. I am afraid if I paint them white, it will be too much white with our "trim beams."

Michelle

I will attempt to post a pic.

Comments (39)

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The house is called mesa verde tan from benjamin moore. The sun was pretty bright when I took the pic.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

It's a very pretty house. Is there any chance you can post a photo showing the whole house, from farther back?

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a little further back shot, but not much.

I will go take some more pics, because I am insure about deck/railing color also.

FYI- the whole house was a BORING pale grey before. I painted the entire house myself last summer. When nearly done, last Labor Day, I fell from a ladder trimming a window and tore my ACL, MCL, and broke my leg in three places. I was in braces, therapy, etc. until January. Now it is time to finish!!!!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I love the exterior of your home, but the black needs to go bye bye. Well mostly. Here's a virual paint job I did for you. Something to think about.....adding more red then just on your door. Make your entrance the focal point of your home.
    {{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh my mllinden! I was "painting" and missed your post. You poor dear. Ladders scare the heck out of me.
    I like the black in this last picture you posted without the red door. It's a beautiful home what every color you paint it.

• teacats
    14 years ago

I would paint the sidelight area in the fresh white.

Or in a sage green (which would work with craftsman/arts & craft look too ..... and would work with the red door. IF you choose the sage green then paint the flower barrel in the same color.

Then add a white-painted wood plaque with craftsman-style house numbers on the right-hand side of the door.

Add a craftmans/art & crafts large light above the garage doors.

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the back.

{{!gwi}}

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Side.
    {{!gwi}}

Bigger front.

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a lame attempt at sage greeen (my photoshop skills are limited).

{{!gwi}}

justgotabme- I love your version, but hubby did NOT approve- he's a fuddyduddy, very traditional. I can't believe he is ok with a red door!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Why is it most men are afraid of color? My hubby was like that until, while building and working on finishing the interior of our home, he caught my creative bug. Boy has he come up with some awesome ideas. Tell your hubby he needs to loosen up and live a little!

I like the idea of what you were going for in your last post. It looks more gray then sage to me. Could be my monitor. How about this one with where the red was in a few shades deeper than the main house color. Kidding beside, we do want to keep our hubby's happy.
    {{!gwi}}
    And here's a few plays with greens. It's hard to get greens on MSPaint. Which is what I'm using.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    This last one is probably too dark and just off in color completely.
    Well I have to go and do some real painting now. I hope you find something you and hubby both love. Oh and make sure he knows I was just givin' him a hard time with the guy and colors thing. One of the greatest part of my hubby's and my marriage is we laugh together. Other good stuff too ofcourse. {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Love the red, GottaBe! I also like the black, but would like to see it brightened up. Here's a rendition of that:

brass:

antique brass:

pewter or satin nickel:

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So you guys like the black? Would you keep the black and do the door red? WHAT does anyone think of doing the sidelights white and door red?

Like so

{{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Your house is charming. Bless your heart for painting the whole thing by yourself, I painted my last huge house twice by myself -- with a brush, and lots of on the ladder. I'm SO sorry you fell and got hurt so badly! Owie-owie-owie-owie just thinking about it! I'm glad you're all healed.

I love that last house you painted. I'd go with the white surrounding. I just painted my door red and I have all white trim (please pardon the steps that need to be pressure washed after a long winter)...

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's a deep red and teal:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here are some reds & white.

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Oceanna- the last pics that I posted were from this board (jan in wisconsin, I believe), not a previous house I painted. I used it as an example because I thought it was so pretty! I don't want to try to take credit though.

Michelle

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Okay, time to tell the truth. If that were MY door, I'd do Gallery Glass in those sidelights. In fact, I might make DH add more windows above. Here's some examples of what could be done. And yes, dear Mllinden, if you are talented enough to paint your house, you are certainly talented enough to make these windows for yourself (no glass cutting, just taping and painting involved). You can buy what you need at Michaels. Now I'm showing you some different door/glass styles, but hey, if you want a different door, there's always CL. And your little side panels, just knock out the wood below and extend that glass all the way down if you want. Anyway, here's what you could do...

ALL of you -- if you want something like one of these, you can have it. You can either pay someone to do it, or do it yourself. You can do it with the real thing (take a class, but $$$) or you can do it with Gallery Glass, which is a lot cheaper.

Remember...

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I re-read that and I meant to say you "posted", not you "painted." Sorry about that. It is absolutely lovely, whosever it is. But how about stained glass?

• booboo60
    14 years ago

Just to add another idea....what if you got rid of that trim above the front door? I find that it makes for too many "lines" around the door. What if it was just painted the solid color of the house above the door? Then the sidelights would show up more trimmed in white?

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I love the idea of the glass. If it had a design on the glass, I think simple would be better . . .I am imagining green trim and maybe the door stained some kind of rich, warm wood tone?

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I agree with twotogo, I'd paint the three vertical trim pieces above the door the house color. I'd paint the sidelights either the trim white and the door and storm door red or paint the sidelights, storm door and front door red.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like the contemporary trimwork. I think it gives the house its distinctive appeal. It also looks very nice, without, though. I also think the blacktop is sharp and goes well with the house, so I'm puttin' it back : ) The contemporary door works much better, too.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Squirrel, I like your first pic best. Extending the windows all the way down, and doing a GG treatment to them would make it all very special! It would let more light in the house, be gorgeous lit up at night from the outside, and be pretty on the inside all the time. It would also add privacy.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

GG in the sidelights. In the last pic, they are more transparent.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I too love the sidelight stained glass look, but her doors only have a partial window, so unless she's planning on replacing her entire door, I think you should try what it would look like on her original photo.

Now that I see the sidelights in white, I do agree that the above trim looks nice in white too. I'd paint it exactly how it is in the last photo.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the GG in the current door with the divided sidelights.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I too love the sidelight stained glass look, but her doors only have a partial window, so unless she's planning on replacing her entire door, I think you should try what it would look like on her original photo.

The shorty sidelights generally have a board under them for easy removal, rather than a regular wall -- they're designed to be reconfigured into full length, or double doors, or whatever, at least on the more modern homes. It would likely be very simple and quite inexpensive to extend her windows full length -- just the price of the plain glass if they do it themselves. I always like to brainstorm the heck out of things, and know all sorts of possibilities before I make my final decision. I thought that was normal but what the heck do I know -- I'm an artist, so I think outside the box. I think all, or almost all of the configurations I posted in the stained glass are possible to do in this opening. But really, it's not hard to go from the shorty windows to longer ones.

Now... Mllinden, come back! Whereforeart thou, Mllinden?

• Oakley
    14 years ago

At first I really liked the red door with red trimmed sidelights, but it makes the house way too modern.

I really like the red door with the white trimmed sidelights. It brightens up the whole area.

• mllinden_aol_com
    14 years ago

Sorry I have been gone so long guys. I've been soooo busy.

Thanks for all your replies. There are a lot of creative people on this forum.

To be honest, I am not real fond of Gallery Glass, but that is just my personal taste.

I painted just the front door red so far to see how I liked it. I left the storm and sidelights black. To be honest, you can hardly even tell. I will post a pic tomorrow when it is light enough to snap a pic.

So now I have to decide what to do with the storm and sidelights- leave black, paint red, or paint white.

I have a terrible time with paint decisions.

Michelle

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

Oh, I love your house! I am glad you went with a red door. How fun. I can't believe you painted your house yourself. I think my house needs painting and was considering doing it myself knowing it will take forever.

Back to your sidelights. To be honest I think the black is too much. I think adding some landscaping to the front of the house would give your house the punch you need. Consider adding a bed in front of the walkway?

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The black was there originally. Do you think I should go white or red instead? I'll go take a pic.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like the white sidelights with the red door (pic above, hahaha).

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is just the door red. You can hardly tell. Maybe I should paint the storm red too????

a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/mllinden/?action=view&current=IMG_5139.jpg"; target="_blank">

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrelheaven-

Do you mean your first pic in your last post?

Then I should probably paint the storm red?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That has the gallery glass, but it isn't very visible, so yes, kinda like that. It's up at Sun 0:29 also. Yes, I was painting the storm also. I see we did the black & red at Sat 23:53 also, with the storm black. Maybe that's what you are shooting for. That does look like a very deep (and pretty with your house color) red. Which one is it?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's your new color, storm too, surrounded in white. It may show a bit more red than this, without all the black reflecting around it, but looks to be verry dark. Like a black cherry. Yes? No?

• mllinden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The red is cottage red from Benjamin Moore. It looks so much darker than the example I posted from another house. Must be the black surrounding it. ?????

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That is very dark effect on Cottage Red. Will be interesting to see how it goes up on the storm and affects the door color itself. It can be hard to see the doors behind glass storms.

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Pittsburgh Paints has the Frank Lloyd Wright pallet. It includes Cherokee Red (one of FLWs favorites) which is distinctly red but with some brown in it. I do think it would go with the style of your (really cool) house. Do skip the black.