Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

What color shutters would work with the yellow siding?

positano
14 years ago

The shutters are an ugly brown color and the roof is orangey brown. The roof has a few more years in it, but I would like to change the shutters now. What color would work with the yellow and the brown roof? I was thinking a Sag Harbor grey color or maybe white?

OR should I just wait a few years till the roof becomes a grey color?

Any photoshop help?

From April 2009

Comments (32)

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

How about a caramel color?

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Having difficulty focusing on your question because of the cute dog in the doorway.:)

Your lower roof dominates the color scheme, so you have to get a color that works with it. There are several shades of orange to brown in the roof. Would you consider a burnt orange or rust color for the shutters?

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really wanted to get away from the rust and orange. Maybe the best thing is to wait till I get a new roof.

Can anyone photoshop a new roof with different shutters? Maybe a grey green, black and white?

Yes graywings....Daisy is a very cute cocker spaniel. She loves to sit in the door and watch the street!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

With this roof, the browns and rusts are the best combo. Plus gray does not look good with yellow siding. Are you changing that too? You could do black shutters - they go with everything.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

What about if you went with a real cedar shutter with like a tung oil finish on it? I think it would bring a nice natural element to your house.

Cute doggie:)

Smiles:)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Your siding doesn't look at all yellow to me. ? It's more of a grey-beigey color. It's actually a pale yellow, similar to the above pic?

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes squirrelheaven...it's very yellow. Anyway you could do a little of your photoshop magic?

• User
    14 years ago

The siding on our house is very similar to yours in color. In 2007 we put a new roof on that's a charcoal gray and it works well. Unfortunately, our shudders are forest green, which doesn't thrill me, but we're waiting to change them until next summer. I've always wanted to have light green siding with white shutters & trim. It's a popular combination in our area for colonials and I love the way it looks.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Sure, but the house color should be accurate. Is it anything like this?

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's the right shade of yellow! I would love to change the siding too, but we don't have the money to do it anytime soon.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Or, this clearer one. Posting anyway, just in case it's closer.

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the first one is closer, it's not a lemony yellow.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You're welcome. That one it is, then!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I know you're thinking of colors other than brown, but the roof is tough. Here are some other shades, trying for a cohesive whole. Also included an olive.

Burnt Sienna Brown #1
    {{!gwi}}

Chocolate Sienna Brown #2

Chocolate Brown #2

Deep Dark Blackish Brown #3

Darkish Olive #1

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your so sweet to do all that! I think they all have the same look I have now though. It wouldn't be much of a change. Could you try it with white shutters?

And is there anyway you could do a mockup of a grey roof? Maybe try black shutters and a gray green shutter color like sag harbor grey?

Thank you, thank you....you are one talented lady!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the more chocolate sienna, but adding some color in the landscape and some nice big window boxes. They may not be your favorite colors, but it looks great until you can make the changes you'd like to the roofing. Very homey and charming! : )

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Yes, I set up the roof and we can play with that, too, for future reference. Will try a black and sage shutter like your inspiration house, with the gray roof is what I think you meant. That house has a lot of gray stone tying it all together, though. I didn't think your home got the same effect with a gray roof.

If you didn't notice, I put wider paneled shutters on, which give a more substantial look for your house, imo.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

ok, venturing into new territory : ) I'm going to have to pick up some white shutters, as these get too glowy. Here's a variety of things to look at:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's a stab at white:

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

The white is not enough contrast.

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow!! Love the landscaping you added. We really need some color ,and the window boxes are so cute!

The white shutters are definitely out....doesn't work at all.

We like #11 and all of the grey green colors. Is #12 black?

Could you add some landscaping and window boxes to #18?

You've given me some great inspiration. You rock! Thanks again.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the darkish blue-gray. I believe this is #18:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Same darkish blue-gray (has some teal to it also) with gray roofing.

Darker, cool, grounding:

Light, warmish:

Light, cool:

Very light, cool:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Excuse me, that was #11 !

Yes, #12 was supposed to be black but it looks kind of very dark brown in some places.

Here's #18:

White flower boxes:

Sage flower boxes (note the shutters have a tad of blue to them):

Darker cool gray roof:

Darker green shutters:

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Our home is more of a creamy yellow, but the shingles are pretty close to yours. We have deep blue gables and will be adding matching shutters as in the virtual below.

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks squirrelheaven!! I really like the darker roof and the last two pictures. Just need to save some money for a new roof! In the mean time we'll work on some landscaping to make it prettier and work with the brown roof.

Your time and effort is really appreciated!!

Positano

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Realized I didn't put the light green (bluish) with the curent roof.

Light bluish-green:

More of a sage green:
    {{!gwi}}

More of a sage green, light, cool, gray similar to inspiration:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

JustGotta, the navy works nicely on your house. Positano, here is a blue that looks nice on yours:

Changing the garden colors a bit. Painting the lampost black would be good too : )

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

Wow. Isn't it amazing what landscaping does for curb appeal?

Cute house (and pup), positano.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thank you Squirrelheaven. I did that back when I had the programs you told me about. That computer went bust so I don't have them anymore. Do you remember the names of them by any chance? They were free online. I've tried to look and haven't found them.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

GottaBe, you've got mail!