Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peacampboca

Paint color help needed for small FL home

Patty C
9 years ago

I know you are the experts so please help us if you can. DH and I are completely inept at choosing colors.

We live in S. Florida in a small wood-sided home with a casual Key West feel. It was painted the bright yellow when we bought, and although I actually like the color, I'd love to give it a fresh look.

The garage is on the side of the house, the window on the left of the front view is a garage window. There is a long breezeway between the garage and house that leads to the front door.

In the back we have a covered patio that runs almost the length of the house, which is where we spend most of our time.

Would like to keep the wood ceiling of the breezeway and patio white to simplify things. The metal roof and pavers will stay.

This is the front of the house. More pics will follow.

Comments (29)

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side of house:

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Breezeway

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back of house

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about a coral or salmon color? Too much?

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I like the yellow - maybe tweak the color and add a contrasting color door. A red or something. Very nice space!

I'm having my own color issues between white and beige so take my input with a grain of salt :). Good luck!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

A light blue or turquoise would be very pretty with the brick(?) pavers as well as the pool. I can't tell the color of the front door. I agree with rubyclaire that a contrasting color would be nice for that.

Very nice house. I love the breezeway.

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions! One of our immediate neighbors already has a salmon colored house. The other houses adjacent and across from ours are moss green, pale blue, periwinkle and another lighter salmon.

I guess I'd say we seem to be most attracted to greens and blues, so I was thinking some shade of aqua as junco suggested. Even if we decided to stick with the yellow main color, maybe doing the front door in aqua. Right now the front door is a faux wood and I definitely want to change it.

Here's a pic of some colors I like together. Think it's too much?

• lovemrmewey
    9 years ago

Love the example! The color is just peaceful, perfect for the beach!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

That would be beautiful! Maybe you could add shutters to the windows on the front--garage on the left and the others on the right. I think you would need a third color for the front door--maybe yellow?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That minty green is beautiful!

Or reverse it: do a pale yellow with mint green doors and trim

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I love the shade of aqua you posted, but be aware of the color of your pool. That's a lot of ... aqua. And if you're not careful, the two shades of aqua will not play well together. And even if they do, that's a LOT of aqua.

I like the yellow, but the color you have now is a bit mustardy. What about a lighter, brighter, sunny yellow?

Here is a house on St. Vincent... and notice the purple shutter!

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The yellow is pretty, but I'd go with a lighter shade of yellow. Reminds me of my parents' house in FL...dad planted the front with bright red geraniums and it looked so nice!

You didn't ask, but I will mention that the large vegetation that blocks the windows is a security issue....great place for bad ones to hide while they're breaking into your home. We lived in a very safe neighborhood, but someone used the high plants on the side of our house that covered our windows for shelter while they broke in. We immediately cut them down, left the windows clear and had no problems after that.

• User
    9 years ago

I would repaint the house in a much softer yellow and add white Bermuda shutters. Greens and aquas are difficult to get right in that Florida sun, IMO....so many of them looking like relics of the 1950s.

Strongly agree with cutting your landscaping WAY back, shrubs should never grow above the bottom window ledge, for appearance as well as security.

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the yellow mclarke posted. She's right - our current yellow is too mustardy. I'm afraid if I go too soft or light on the yellow our little house will disappear from view completely. There are some beautiful soft yellow houses in the neighborhood, but they are so big compared to our house and they don't get lost with the yellow.

I'm not concerned with too much aqua or blue. The pool can't be seen unless you are looking out from the back of the house. But I do agree with kswl that if we go that route we need to very careful in choosing. I've seen some aqua and green houses that look outdated even though they are recently painted.

My thought was to add just one bermuda shutter to the garage window to add a little color and interest to the house. They aren't cheap (about $300-400 each) and I don't think we can afford to do all 4 right now. You can't really see the ones on the right from the street anyway, and our living room is already quite shaded because of the tall scrubs you all mentioned. I know you're both right and they are too tall, but DH and I love the privacy it provides since this is where we spend most of our time, and we are usually in pajamas as soon as we get home from work.

Here's another blue house I love, but maybe it's just that I think the house is so cute. I'm leaning towards the 1st combo, but it does worry me that it might be hard to pull off. Still thinking about the yellows too, but this is my 3rd yellow house, so I'd love to try something different.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I'll offer a dissenting voice on the landscaping. Most houses in my neighborhood have fairly dense front-yard landscaping with portions of windows obscured. I love the look of a lush and layered front yard and would not trim everything to beneath the window.

As for concerns about bad guys, I figure they'd probably use a side or back window or door instead of trying to break in from the front yard. I suppose it would be different if the side and back weren't accessible due to locking gates and such, but that's not the case for us.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

As a life-long Floridian, I don't think you can have too much aqua in this climate, really (although the shade of aqua can be too strong, for sure). A lot of colors that look just fine in areas that have winter are very fatiguing in FL most of the year because they make you feel like it's ten degrees hotter.

(I will NEVER understand the mania for ochres and umbers here when Tuscan was all the range. It makes everything seem like 4:00 in the afternoon in a parking lot in August all the time.)

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I really like the yellow but if you want a change would you consider white with a yellow or blue door?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Love the aqua!
    Or a pale yellow and aqua/turquoise shutters, door, etc.

Or:

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Peacamp, I love the one you posted at 17:55. The colors are just soft enough.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with mtnrdredux.
    Go for it!
    It's a lovely color scheme and "not too much"

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps this tone?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Seaside Resort 725

• teacats
    9 years ago

This yellow?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Moonlight 2020-60

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help! I am in awe of how knowledgeable you all are. I loved every house, door and color that was suggested. And I'm not just saying that to be nice. I think we're going to go for it (the aqua with the yellow door). Maybe a shade lighter/greener that the one teacat posted, but I'm not sure because colors drive me crazy.

And thanks for looking out for us on the security issue with our landscaping in front. I can't argue with it, but just like lazydaisynot said, the bad guys can easily get in our side gates anyway, and once they do that they have all the privacy they need to break in at a leisurely pace.

One more question though if you have time to give an opinion. Should the garage door be painted yellow like the front door, or would you leave it white?

I'll be sure and post some pics to let you know how it turned out.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd probably paint the garage door white, and have just the front door in yellow to really highlight it.

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thought I would post a follow-up with some photos of our house just after painting. I wouldn't have had the nerve to go with the aqua/yellow combination without your help, and I'm so glad I did. I do think I missed the boat a bit on the yellow paint selection; I wanted something a bit sunnier. So we may repaint the front door and garage. Maybe the garage door should go back to white. It looks fine in the pale yellow shade it has now, but maybe a sunnier yellow would be too much.

Still to do - clean and seal the pavers, a new doormat, endless weeding/pruning.and bahama shutters when they fit in our budget.

Thanks again for your help so far. All suggestions are welcome!

Front of house:

Close-up of entry:

This close-up is probably closest to actual color of front door. The new HW made a huge difference:

Side of house:

Breezeway:

Back of house (it is a lot of aqua, but I don't mind it):

Patio bar top looks so pretty with the new paint:

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the aqua and yellow!! Looks great. I would keep garage door yellow. I do agree that I would like a sunnier yellow, like how it looks in garage picture. But overall it's beautiful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Very nice, very cheerful!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, so pretty!!!
    Agree to paint the door like in the garage or from a distance pictures, but either way, itôs a winner!

• Patty C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mamorella, Annie and nosoccermom: Thanks! I really do love the aqua. BTW I used encycolorpedia.com, which I read about on this forum, as a starting point with my inspiration photo, and it did lead me to the aqua I chose. The yellow door didn't work so well, and I ended up with lemon-lime colors. I tried to go more to the yellow side of the spectrum myself, but the color I chose does have a bit of a green tinge to it.

So now I am going crazy with the yellow on the front door. The first row shows the current door color, which looks very creamy on the door. Then second row shows the yellows that are up one shade.

I'm leaning towards yellow lotus because it is more towards gold than green. But I'm afraid it might be too much on the garage door and DH will kill me if I'm not happy with my 2nd choice since he will be painting.

Any suggestions? I have searched for examples of the colors in rooms and not been too successful. And we did put up samples of the current yellow in multiple places on the house before painting and it looked great. But once it was officially on the doors, it looked just ok. Light and creamy instead of sunny and yellow.