Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Quick Question - Pattern Mixing

ttodd
9 years ago

I am doing DD's room (6yrs) in a hodge lodge Bohemian like mix of Simply Shabby Chic patterns.

DD doesn't know but yes, she is all about the frilly feminine floral, pink everything & consistently tells me how much she likes SSC whenever she looks at my books w/ me.

I've been acquiring all different individual pieces of the bedding in all colors for her bed. Pink, green, purple, blue. Her walls are soft white, her furniture a mix of antique oak, mahogany & white

My question for you is this: Would it be crazy to mix window panel patterns for her 2 windows? Like 4 different floral panels? Her bed will have at least 6 different patterns all from the SSC collection. The panels will also be from the SSC collection.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (12)

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i'm all for mixing prints. i love stripes and florals, but for it to look non chaotic and intentional rather than punky brewster's room, i'd keep the windows all the same. unless you're going for punky brewster's room, then go ahead, i'm just not sure what vibe we're going for. there's a thin line between whimsy and crazy with mixing prints.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Try it and see if you like the look. I love mixing patterns and the SSC colors are lovely. An alternative might be to use white panels on both ends of each window and then a print on the inside for the two inside panels of each window.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

.......or do 2 different prints, outside and inside.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love that look! But I like boho....

sorry for oversharing pics. I really want to do this someday :)

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I think the windows might warrant some mixing, you don't want to isolate it on the bed.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Boop, that is wonderful! Thank you so much for posting those pics. I love it!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Those pics look like FUN! :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I like the toile mixed with checks, dots, plaids, stripes, florals and pin dots.

Make sure patterns are not same sized. I love toiles mixed with all the following. All kinds of prints can go with all kinds of prints as long as the colors are in keeping with the rest of the colors in the room and with one another. If you have a check, make sure the second check is much larger or much smaller. Florals can be small, tiny florals and the second floral a big floral. Pin dots can be mixed with large polka dots. Plaids can be mixed with checks as long as the plaids are very large and the checks small. Large stripes with small stripes. All need to have a common denominator of color. They can all be used in the same room.

I don't like that Punky Brewster look. I would have to take Valium to live with that but others love it which means there is something for everyone and it certainly is neat to look at but for me, not to live with.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The patterns will likely all be floral. If I recall correctly the SSC curtains only came in florals. I could be wrong. There are various pattern sizes. I will be purchasing them panel by panel off of ebay as I can afford them. SSC used to do light control patterned panels but now they only do the viola and we need more privacy than that.

I am sticking w/ only SSC because I know that all of the colors will work together. So far I have 3 different patterns for her bed.

I just love those pics!!!!!! Wow!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You do such a great job of decorating, I am sure you will do it beautifully.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patricia,
    That was so nice - Thank you!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Glad you liked them! I can't wait to see what you do. I agree, whatever you do always comes out fantastic!

I started my family room abotu a year ago and still have not finished. :(

I I think the wispy is too light with the heavy wood walls. I bought pink and white striped fabric to make curtains to hang on the side. Just didnt get to it yet. I would like to paint the hutch pink too I think.

Someday! i try not to stress over not finishing anything. Someday the kids will be older and hopefully I will have a bit more time then :)