Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flymom65

(x-post) Need Advice on Front Door

flymom65
9 years ago

I posted this in the paint forum, but I know this forum has more traffic and often gives awesome advice on paint, painting, and paint products.

Our front door is stained wood. We have already had it redone once in the past - been here 6 years. The sun is really doing a number on it and the stain is peeling off. I am thinking of painting the door black to match our shutters. I have never attempted a project like this but saw CEFreeman's posts about the Citristrip. I was wondering if you would recommend the product for this type of application. I want to make certain that I get all the stain off the door. We hired someone to do it the last time and I don't think he sanded it enough so the finished product looked a little "gooped up". Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to do a good job since this is the "first impression" people get when they come to visit. Also, I am hoping that paint will last longer than the stain. What type of paint would you recommend? I know I need an oil based primer, but I have read recommendations for latex and oil based paint.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022