Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Seaside Themed Nursery

nhb22
10 years ago

I am another proud grandmother wanting to show off her grandsons nursery (and the new grandson).

Roe

His room can go from nursery to 'big boy' room by simply removing the crib. The furniture belonged to Roe's great-grandparents (my parents wedding suite). The curtains are a lightweight burlap. Pillows and lamp are Pottery Barn. New beige carpet.

I wish I had a photo of the inside of the closet. It is fitted with a dark open bookshelf that holds shoes, books (daughter is a teacher), and also divides the two closet sides into 'now outfits' and later outfits'. A laundry hamper sits on one side and larger baby things on the other. A shelf runs across the top of the closet for extra storage.

The water color, antique sailboat and oars belonged to Roe's uncle (my son). The lamps are Pottery Barn knock-offs. The binoculars were Roe's great, great grandfathers (my grandfather). The clear paint can on the desk is now filled with seashells that I brought back from a trip to Key West.

The blue rocker w/ scalloped shell design was Roe's great grandmother (my mothers bedroom chair). There is a gray and white striped prayer shawl on the back that was given to my father when he entered Hospice 18 months ago. My mother also used it before she passed away a year ago. Neither was able to meet their great grandson. The pillow and ottoman came from Target. Not sure about the framed fish. The rocking horse belonged to Roe's father. The shelves are now filled with shells, books and stuffed animals.

Walls are a light blue-gray. Entrance to a painted stripe bathroom of the same color.

Jack and Jill bath with new beige tile, painted stripes and white panels/trim added.

Changing table in sun filled dormer widow. Roe loves looking out the window at the green trees. The paper flowers are from a baby shower. They give a punch of color and visual stimulation during diaper changes.

Tub and Toilet. My daughter is having two 8x10's, from a baby photo shoot, framed to put over the toilet. The colors are similar to the shower curtain.

That's about it. Thank you for looking.

Comments (21)

• alex9179
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

His photo jump started all of my mommy instincts! What a cutie.

Wonderful room. I like how the theme was integrated. Not over the top and very charming. I just saw your comment on another thread about an overhead light fixture. You're right! It would look great in there.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh how lovely! Roe is indeed a handsome baby. Aren't grandbabies just the best?

How wonderful that Roe is surrounded by beautiful keepsake from his ancestors. I love the theme of his room. My grandfather was quite the fisherman and one of my most valued possessions is his creel. I also have my mother's tiny boat that she actually used as a toddler.

I just love the bedspread on Roe's some day big boy's bed. Could you tell me where it came from?

I am going to have my DD look at how lovely this room is. Thank you so much for sharing.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone!

The bedspread is actually a lightweight quilt that was in my mothers home. My daughter thought about a PB quilt and then decided this would look just as good and a lot less expensive!

Forgot to say that the crib is from Babies R Us. The 'R' is now hanging on the wall. It was a shower gift.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:29

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well done! Such a lovely room.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What a cute baby and what a pretty room! However, I have to say that my son would have dismantled a lot of the treasures in a very short time. Babyproofing went far beyond what's "normal," e.g. removing pulls from kitchen drawers because he'd use them as a ladder to climb to the top of the fridge.
    Also, the big boy bed may need a railing initially or you may have to put the mattress on the floor.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

What a pretty room. It's nice to use family things in them too.

She might want to get blackout curtains to go behind the pretty ones. DD2 watched a Harvard doctor's webinar about sleeping when her son was not sleeping all night (as an almost 1yo, he's almost 2yo now). Once she made the room completely dark and bought a sound machine, he has been sleeping from 8pm to 7 or 8am. I just kept our granddaughter while son/wife were out of town, used a sound machine, and made a believer out of them after they returned and she was sleeping much better (only waking up once during the night instead of several times). She just turned 1yo.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom - Not much he will be able to dismantle. The oars and letter R are screwed into the walls. The seashells are in the see-thru paint can. I had a time trying to pry the lid open -WITH a flat edged screw driving- when putting the shells inside.

I think everything else will be fine, but you never know. My daughter and husband already have all the child-proof devices ready to put on when Roe starts crawling. As for the bed when he is older?...yes, they will have rails for the bed. I am more worried about him crawling out of the crib!

allison0704 - I'll mention the black-out thing to my daughter. Currently, the windows have blinds that cut out most light. Roe sleeps from about 10:30pm to 6:30am at 2 months old. He sleeps in his room only at night. Naps are being given in their family room, so he is used to light and sounds (barking dogs, TV, phones) My daughter must have listened to another doctor. LOL

Roe WAS sleeping with a white noise machine, but I think that was turned off early so that mama could hear the baby when she was sleeping in his room. Not sure though. Both parents and grandparents sleep with white noise and couldn't sleep without.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

What a wonderful bedroom, filled with love and treasures passed down from generation to generation! Thank you for sharing!!

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

Your grandson is precious. Congrats! Very lovely room. I think it's great when family items are incorporated.

• CAGiselle
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Roe is absolutely precious and his room is wonderfully furnished and filled with family love. dh says if he'd known how much fun grandchildren were he would have had them first:)

• ttodd
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness I love it! And Roe! It's so tasteful and well thought out w/ both old and new. The repurposing is right up my alley because I'm sentimental and I think that it makes a house a home. Lovely job on both room and baby front!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I wish I could post a full photo of Roe, but we are not "putting him out there" on the media. I am pretty sure that my daughter is not putting photos up on Facebook. I probably should have asked if I could post his profile on this forum. eeeek!

All the decorating credit goes to my daughter, although I did hang the curtains for her. :) I'd also like to find the light fixture shown on the "aged brass" thread (in the link below)and paint it to look like a Maritime porthole. Currently, there is a builders, square glass fixture on the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light fixture

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

What a perfect room (and baby!) I wish I had had the space for a bed as well as a crib in my kid's rooms. Those late night feedings usually ended up in our bed and having to make our way back to the crib afterwards was a hard journey.

• my4cowboys
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Do you happen to know the paint brand and color? It is the perfect subtle blue-gray.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My daughter says it's from the Sherwin Williams - their Kids Collection (see link).

SW 0055
    Light French Gray

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams - Glam

• busybee3
    10 years ago

very nice!!!

having a connecting bathroom to the nursery and the changing table in the bathroom is absolutely ideal!!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, my daughter says having the changing table in the bathroom is wonderful with access to water. She can toss soiled clothes in the sink for rinsing. The location also keeps the nursery smelling fresh. ;)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Been meaning to add this photo. Purchased the seahorse at Cracker Barrel and the colors are perfect for the nursery bathroom.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Cracker Barrel the restaurant? The seahorse really is just perfect. I love, love, love the room. Best of all is that sweet baby!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Cute baby!
    The room is lovely. As others mentioned, incorporating decor items from past generations makes it extra special!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the restaurant. :)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 21:15

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner