Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri0611

TV and fireplace on opposite walls, please HELP!

terri0611
10 years ago

My living room has a very weird layout, please help me brainstorm some ideas on how to place the furnitures. It has a fireplace on one wall with windows on both sides and the opposite wall is meant for a tv since all the cables are there. I have a sketch of a potential layout, what do you think? I don't care for the fireplace, so I decided to use my 60in tv/entertainment system as the focal point. It's a little awkward but I can't think of anything else. The good thing is I don't have any furnitures at the moment so I'm open to all suggestions :)

My living is a mess right now, I will take a picture once I clear all the boxes. Thnx!

Comments (12)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Even though you don't like your fireplace, have you considered having two back-to-back love seats? That set up works really well for situations like yours. You may, at some point, fix up the fireplace so you do like it. You could add chairs for extra seating.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I would create some kind of seating facing the fireplace -- a love seat, bench, pair of chairs, but create two seating areas. I would also shy away from an L shaped sectional in that room unless it is one that you can rearrange.

• amykath
    10 years ago

If by change you can have two couches facing each other with the coffee table in between. One would go along the window and the other along the entrance. You can then add some nice ottomans you can move around or two chairs and two ottomans?

• madeyna
    10 years ago

How about moving the cables so the tv sits over the fireplace. Right now it sits right across from a lot of windows which could cause viewing problems as well as the furnature placement problems your already having.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

As an alternative to the two sofas, you could also place one sofa parallel to the window wall with a chair grouping (swivel is awesome) opposite.You can turn the fireplace wall into an art wall to make it more attractive to you.

For the longest time, my sofa was perpendicular to the TV. I loved this arrangement because I could lay down on it and watch without having to turn my head, LOL! However, you saw the back of it from the entrance to the house. We're trying something different now that we've cleared the room for new flooring.

• pps7
    10 years ago

Can you put a tv in front of the fireplace? That is what we did in our previous home.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could also investigate a backless sofa in the middle with side chairs on both sides so it could be used as part of a conversational area in front of either the tv or fireplace. Backless sofas may see weird until you realize that it's really like having a bed in you living room from which to watch tv.

Here's an example where it is placed in such a way that it can be used with either or both conversational clusters...

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Chicago Architects & Designers Burns and Beyerl Architects

• rosie
    10 years ago

My usual strong preference for rooms that are meant to be lived in is to plan them to serve us in a variety of ways, and floating a couch in the middle of a normal-size room focused only on a TV, its back to...nothing, is so limited. Doesn't matter how many people have been doing this, there's more to family living than watching TV and a living room needs to accommodate other activities. Like chatting quietly with a friend, sitting together or on the phone. Organizing a club project. Building a dinosaur while dad keeps an eye on the TV.

If it were mine, I'd sell the entertainment system and probably put a couch on that end wall, consider reconfiguring the sectional so the short piece backed to the wide top doorway, but the long stretch facing out into the room. Flat screen TV on the short wall in the lower left corner (happily hidden from entry too). Easy chair, or even two, in the middle (swiveling?).

A secondary conversation area (chairs or chair and loveseat) by the fireplace. Or a reading corner and in the other perhaps a small card/games/project table or a desk and chair (facing out into the room). All open and sociable.

The idea for a backless sofa is also an extremely nice one, but with the combination of a normal-size room and all those doorways/fireplace I would personally definitely pass on two full sofas with backs and otherwise keep the arrangements nicely open to each other for active living. (No neck strain from trying to admire the dinosaur without getting up.)

• nehendry
    6 years ago

Hello! I have the SAME ROOM!!! I don't know what to do with it. Terri0611, what did you decide to do and are you happy with your choice? I would LOVE your input. Thanks!

• breenthumb
    6 years ago

Sounds like my inlaws house I sold back in '08, only 15 years old. Large traditional living room. The North wall had a sliding glass door and two large windows with chairs& tables . East: sofa, coffee table & side tables. South: open arch, large media center. West: couple of chairs w table between. Lots of open space in center under high ceiling fan.

We closed day before Thanksgiving. Next Christmas season I got a call asking if I'd like to come see what they'd done. Sure. Love it. There was a beautiful fireplace on the East wall replacing the sofa (first thing you notice coming in the front door) and a large screen TV on the upper West wall. In the middle, previously empty area, was a pair of comfortable swivel chairs and small tables Other furniture, of course, around the room but she explained "when we want to watch TV we turn this way, to enjoy a fire,this way." Nice comfortable visit with neither fire or TV.

• nehendry
    6 years ago

Thank you for your reply breenthumb. Gives me some ideas for a difficult room.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville