Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selcier

Where are all the vignettes?

selcier
9 years ago

I love vignettes. But, they are a total mis-representation of what a whole room design looks like. Has anyone been successful in integrating them into a big-ish room such as a living or bedroom? The only time I have seen them in a 'whole picture' design is in the entryway.

Pictures please!!

Comments (36)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Ooh, I'd love to see pictures too! I'm lousy at making vignettes, no imagination.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

A vignette can be a composition of plants, of art work, pottery, lamps, chotskies, candles, a composition of two chairs plus a table and lamp on the table, or a collection of baskets.

Even your cookware can be made into a vignette by using creative ideas of how to place on a shelf and position other types or aggregates of cookware, i.e., I have a shelf on the peninsula onto which I have several pieces of calphalon, adjacent to Le Creuset of several colors, an area of stacked Corning ware and situated to create division, I have a selection of pepper sauces, jams, and wines. Vignettes of dishes can be made from dessert ware, soup bowls, wine bottles. You can always add flowers in small vases in a grouping to create a vignette, just as you do with candles. A composition of wall art quotes in the kitchen can serve as a vignette.

Situating your plants in a composition along the entryway is composition. The wreath, garland and decor at Christmas on your door are a vignette.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

While looking at nosoccermom's "Introvert/Extrovert" topic and seeing the pictures in her link, I do have a vignette!

I posted this picture when I bought my coffee table so some have already seen it.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

could you please explain what you mean by vignette in terms of home decor? Not getting it.

ETA: Okay, I see what you mean, as described above. I mean, I know what the common usage of vignette, but was confused about the OP's questioning where they were. Interestingly, if you look up the definition of vignette . . . this is not what it means.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:58

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

None IRL, but I am working on that. Not enough "stuff" in my house to create one!

I do have some pics saved . . .below is my Pinterest board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vignettes

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Violet, perhaps the link below will help. A vignette is simply a grouping of objects to create an interesting arrangement be it on a coffee table, in the corner of a room, a desktop or table scape or end table. It's just a place for your eye to rest to appreciate objects that are assembled in an attractive way.

For example, this niche has a nice arrangement of greenery, art and sculpture.

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by New York Architects & Building Designers Incorporated

Or look at how the shapes, textures and colors work together to create an attractive scene in this entry way.

[Contemporary Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2103) by New York Architects & Building Designers GRADE

Here is a link that might be useful: create a vignette

• nicole__
    9 years ago

In the kitchen:

My tang horse & orchid:

My new southwest jewelry purchase:

Breakfast with some of my Van Briggle pieces:

Things sitting on my server:

Meatballs anyone?:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

One vignette that comes to mind is the view down the enfilade between the library and DR into the dressing room. I have a chinoiserie chest from my mother topped with a dried flower arrangement...housewarming gift from a friend, with the needle point I did many moons ago. It dresses up what is really a blank wall in the dressing room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The window nook in my bedroom creates a nice vignette.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Here's one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think looking into DH's study is a nice vignette of the desk, the french grandfather clock and the window.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think the OP was asking to see the vignettes in terms of a whole room picture, so she could see how they play with the rest of the room, rather than in a close-up as we usually see them (and how most in this thread are).

Maybe I am wrong, but that it how it sounded to me.
    :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Annie, enjoyed the pictures of your beautiful home.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, Patricia.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Based on cyn's interpretation of the OP's request. Here are wider shots. From the doorway looking in...

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Okay...I'll share a few.

Dining room with doggie photo bomb

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

This is the same room, taken from in front of one of those windows.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

"Library with no books" plus doggie photobomb.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Close up of "library with no books", other wall in dining room and the baseboard that needed painting when we finished our addition two or three years ago.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

And here's the last close up of the library with no books - turns out our bookcase was too wide for the space, which is the original dining room in the house. Fortunately you can't see the baseboard that needed painting....

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My bedside table. My room is small so difficult to get a shot showing it in the context of the rest of the room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You've done such a nice job, hollykay!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Bee, your show house room came out so nice!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Oakley, LOVE your new coffee table!
    Nicole: gorgeous, especially the one with your Tang horse! The jewelry is Navajo, right?
    Bee: is that your bedroom??? OMG, wonderful!

Here are a few of mine in my dining room:
    2 angel santos, 3 Spanish-style votive candle holders, oil painting from Spain.

On the other side of the French doors, a vignette centered around my Peruvian Madonna painting:

And, a photo of the entire dining room:

This last pic was taken in the Winter (my birthday flowers). From May through September, though, I keep this Talavara planter on the table:

Lynn

• selcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I did mean in the context of the entire room. You guys are also so good at integrating them. So far I can only get side tables to look right...

• fully2
    9 years ago

On our deck

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you Annie. I am really enjoying my room. I have to have drapes done and figure out the other side of my small master bedroom. When I'm ready to tackle that I will be posting for help. I always love seeing pictures of your home. It is lovely.

1929 I love your library. Your antique chest is beautiful and I love your little photo bombing Yorkie?

Lynn I adore your decorating style and always enjoy seeing pictures of it.

Bee, your show home certainly lives up to it's name. Love it!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This is in my living room.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

The master of vignettes is judithva, who used to post on this forum but who hasn't posted in a while. Don't mistake me, this forum has many posters with great talent and a keen eye for decorating. But she created vignettes that were so richly layered and simply perfect, IMHO. I've enjoyed those from lynninnewmexico, cliff and Joann and my3dogs too. And many others whose names I can't recall.

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 22:38

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Bee, your show house is a lovely place!!

Holly-Kay, beautiful but the kitties are the best.

Lynn, Spanish, and all were lovely.

NAPlants, there was a lady from California who posted along with JudithVA about 2006, who was relocating to Kentucky (if I recall correctly) who had beautiful vignettes as well. She had a very English style with a collection of dogs (might have been King Charles dogs) and beautiful blue plates. I wish I could recall her name. I believe she was a culinary arts teacher if I recall correctly.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

One of my favorite vignettes, in a library we visited in Prague...there was just something special about the window niche, the light, the art. Would that it were in my home!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Katy-D, love the garden in the pot. Is that lobelia? If you tell me yes, I am going to be so jealous. I cannot grow it in the heat and humidity and it is beautiful.

Annie, that is beautiful. I can see why one could wish for such a beauty. I love it as well. It is a nice picture to have, if even in my mind. I will cherish the vision this day.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Just a few of the many vignettes in my home.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.vignettedesign.net/

It's somewhat difficult to navigate, but once you get the hang of it, she has many beautiful vignettes of all kinds.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Patricia, you must be talking about catnap! I don't think that's how she spelled it though. I followed her for a while on an HGTV board but haven't checked there in some time.

tina

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Yes, that is exactly who it is, Catnap. Sweet, sweet person with such a talent for creating vignettes, decorating and cooking. She gave me some recipes that I treasure.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz