Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

What size area rug for dining room?

nini804
9 years ago

Hi! I am finally ready to get a rug for my dining room, and have been getting conflicting information regarding size. My dining room is 12 x 16, so I will need a rectangular rug. I was thinking 9 x 12, but somewhere I read 10 x 15 was the standard for a room that size. That seems quite big to me! I really don't want to cover up that much of the hardwoods. Attached is a photo. I am contemplating purchasing an antique sideboard to go on the wall with my son's portrait, in which case I would move that chest or remove it from the room entirely (I live in fear of "cluttering up" my rooms!) I am planning on getting a "sisal-look" wool rug, with a tone on tone diamond pattern.

Here is room:

Comments (12)

• selcier
    9 years ago

I agree that the 10' seems too wide. I think as long as you can push the chair out and stand up without it falling off the rug, you are fine.

Love the drapes!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm with Selcier. The easiest way to figure this out is to set in the chair at the table and slide it back to easily get out. Use that as a guide to what size rug you need.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Your room is lovely. You have been given good advice.

• nini804
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! That was great advice! I pulled the chairs out and used my handy-dandy tape measure. Actually, 8' would be fine for the width according to that...but since I have 12' to work with...I am thinking about going with 9'. As far as standard rug sizes go...I think 8' x 10' is the standard size for the 8' width, and I just think that would look too small. And, I occasionally use the leaves in the table, so the extra 2' feet in length would come in handy (9' x 12' size.)

I might be able to do a custom size, though, depending on where I get the rug from...would you recommend going a bit longer (9' x 13'?) or sticking with a 9' x 12' if any size were possible? Again, thanks so much!!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Love your room! A 9x12 would be perfect. Try one out by going to your local oriental rug dealer and bringing a couple of rugs home. It will be the best way to determine the appropriate size. All chair legs should remain on the rug when in the pulled out position.

What style are you looking for? Such a fun project!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I think you made a good choice. To give you a visual of how that size would look in your room use painters tape.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You want 4 - 6 inches on the perimeter, so that would be an 8X12, with 4 inches, or 6 X 10.

• Jules
    9 years ago

Beautiful room! I love your window treatments and floor.

Sounds like you have the size figured out. Have you already selected a rug?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would love to see what you have chosen! Your dining room is so elegant. I love the warmth, the high ceilings, crown molding, the curtains, the chandelierâ¦. etc etc. I would love to sit down and have a lovely dinner there!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Nini, you have a beautiful room. I love it! please post photos once you have your new rug in place.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Have always loved your home. Can't wait to see the DR with your rug choice.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the room already! When choosing a rug you should take into account any increased length from leaves you will add for additional seating.