Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

11+ Pounds of RH Catalogs

chicagoans
9 years ago

I just received a collection of Restoration Hardware catalogs (or "source books" as I think they call them.) Over 11 pounds worth. (Yes I weighed them - 11.6 lbs.) They were delivered by UPS, not regular mail.

I have ordered from RH once: 2 commemorative Wrigley Field baseballs ordered in their local store but shipped to me from wherever. The first shipment was two beautiful topiaries ordered by, and meant for, someone else (and much more expensive than what I had ordered.) That was cleared up with a phone call and they picked up the wrong items and delivered the right ones.

Between the wrong shipment delivery/pickup and the barrage of print catalogs delivered via courier, they have spent more on me than I have spent with them.

I just found a spot online to unsubscribe from their mailings. It's under FAQs if you're interested. Wish I had done this long before the wasted resources of sending me all this paper.

Comments (11)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Mine arrived and I just got an email confirmation from RH that they have been delivered. There was an earlier thread on this....some people were going to have UPS pick them up and return to RH. Either way, I feel sorry for the UPS guys.

And, uh, can't we see these products online? No matter the low carbon footprint and sustainability...it's still a waste of resources and money.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Your post made me crack up! RH sends me catalogs and I've never ordered from them either. While their stuff is nice, everything looks alike year after year.

Joanie, don't feel sorry for the UPS guy, catalogs pay them. The postman told me once that the catalogs is what keeps them in business.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Enormous waste of paper, and one reason RH is so expensive.

I hate waste.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i received the catalogs too... and yes, it is a large pack, but at least they aren't sending me things in the mail every other week which some companies seem to! if i added up the weight/ht of the catalogs i receive every 2-3 weeks, it probably would = about the RH wt... so much junk mail! and, many of the catalogs i have never ordered from! it would really bother me if we didn't recycle... i can only imagine that all of these businesses must feel like these frequent or bulk mailings really helps their sales, even in this tech age!
    but, i am not totally green/with the times since i still get a daily paper (have cut it back to 1!) and delivered magazines ... i recycle those too, but they are also very wasteful really!

• chicagoans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

busybee I get one daily paper too. It's a bit silly because at least for the Sunday paper there is so much filler that I don't read. (I do recycle it but it still feels like a waste.) It's expensive, too! But my kooky dog has one job: to fetch the paper from the end of the driveway. He does this every day, rain or shine. Once after he brought ours in, he ran out again to the neighbor's house and brought me theirs! So I think if I stopped getting the paper he'd be confused, out of a job, and I'd be constantly returning the neighbor's paper.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Don't get me started on mail! I live in a rural area where we have to pick up our mail from the Post Office. All of my bills are paperless. But I still have to go empty that damn box of JUNK once a week, or the workers get all pissy with me for it being stuffed full.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

chicagoans--- that makes me laugh because our puppy is just learning to do the same thing and is so proud of himself!! right now i am trying to teach him how to bring it gently so i use the bag for our dogs' pickups!!!

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Pleasures of small town living . . . the UPS guy was making a stop at my husband's office and just dropped mine off there. His staff got a laugh and then he had to tote that package home!

• springroz
    9 years ago

I am thoroughly insulted, as I HAVE ordered from them, and did NOT receive my 11 lbs of catalog.....maybe I unsubscribed after the last one.

Nancy

• voila
    9 years ago

My husband was in the garage today when the UPS truck pulled up and beeped. My confused husband walked over to the truck only to be handed the heavy RH bundle. When he came in and handed it to me, I said, It's the Restoration Hardware catalogs.". I knew that because I read about it here! Do you think the UPS delivery man is getting a little tired of it? My husband probably thought I ordered it. : P

• chicagoans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well since we're talking about mail and waste... does anyone else have a high school junior? As soon as she took the PSAT her sophomore year, and then the SAT and ACT this year, we have a flood of college mailings. I keep thinking, how about not sending me an expensive full color brochure and just lower your tuition/room and board so it's not over $40k / year?! (And those are the cheap schools. Sheesh.)

I stand over the recycle bin as I sort through the mail, and probably 4 or more college mailings/day go in there.