Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamomof2_gw

Curb appeal help for brick house

gamomof2
14 years ago

I welcome any suggestions for improving the curb appeal of our home. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:11161}}

Comments (28)

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

I'm no expert, but the first thing that caught my eye were the porch lights. Maybe beefier ones would make more of a statement.

You have a beautiful home!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

I think it is a very nice house. I like the idea of beefier porch lights, but I don't know that it really "needs" anything other than that. Are you maybe wanting some variety in color and texture? Maybe a trellis (or nail and wire invisible trellis) to the right of the leftmost set of windows.

• stella54220
    14 years ago

Looking for the perfect item to add to your home? Look no further! You will find your perfect item and much more at Stella's Gifts Central.

ALL FIRST TIME BUYERS WILL RECEIVE A $10.00 VIRTUAL GIFT CERTIFICATE TOWARDS YOUR FIRST PURCHANCE.

Please visit my website at www.stellasgiftscentral.com
    Please email me at stella54220@gmail.com for your gift certificate.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Wow. These spammers are getting clever.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- another vote for much larger lanterns on each side of the door.

Tall black urns would look great on the porch with a tall thin tree in each surrounded by flowers.

Consider expanding the front garden (on the left-hand side of the photo) up to the edge of the front walkway. IF possible you could even add more gardens along the outer edge of the walkway too.

Add lots of white flowers in the gardens! Check with your local garden center for possible plant choices (and any necessary additions of compost etc.)

Perhaps remove a few of the round bushes under the large window (on the left-hand side of the doorway) -- and add some height with another type of tree (ex. Japanese maple?) that would work in your area? OR -- for a different look -- perhaps add a classic tall fountain in front of the window?

Just some thoughts!

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Here is a direct link to your house...

{{gwi:11161}}

• qs777
    14 years ago

I agree with larger lights. I'd also like to see some colorful flowers, less structured bushes and maybe some color on the door although I don't know what color. There are great minds here who I am sure can help with that. It really is a beautiful home!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Maybe a deep green or red front door?

• teacats
    14 years ago

Your home style is so classic -- perhaps a classic high-gloss black door?

Jan

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Guys, I believe the OP is a spammer. She just registered today, then voila!, a spam reply came along. Coincidence? Nah. ;)

• teacats
    14 years ago

Well -- thats IT! :(

Backing away and sliding back under my rock ....

so much for replying or trying to help.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

maybe some of the window/door trim should be a different color so it stands out more? I've seen those on tv shows pick out 2 or 3 colors for their trim so it separates parts of it. I think the door needs visually separated from the window over it.

also, I don't like round/oval ball bushes myself. I'd want something more natural there that also blooms so there'd be some color.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

LOL, tea. She got us GOOD.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

First off, remove the sign indicating that you have an alarm system.

Second off, remove those gumdrop bushes.

Third off, remove yourself.

Spammer.

• roobear
    14 years ago

I'm not sure the OP is spam- if you do a search on Stella's website you'll find the same ad appeared on two other garden web forums and one of those OPs has been a member since 2001.

The Garden Party Forum-Arm chair sailing thread

The Gardening with Stone Forum-Pouring large concrete 'stones' in place thread

Registering for two accounts on different days, uploading a pic on photobucket, waiting to post twice on one thread seems like a lot of bother for spam.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I agree with Teacats (always do!!) - classic glossy black for the door. Bigger lanterns & urns for around the door. I would consider taking the strip of grass out by the sidewalk & flowerbeds (less weedeating & edging) & extending the flowerbed to the sidewalk - adding the brick around the flowerbeds with some small columns and annuals - then pansies in the winter. Add the blackest mulch you can find.

Beautiful house. You must be in the South - my sister has classic red brick/ white trim/ black shutters/ black door/ green, green bermuda grass/ big black urns & her house is gorgeous!!

Smiles:)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Okay, I'll play. :) The house is begging for flowers. I'd turn the whole area on the other side of the sidewalk into a flower garden.

And I'd get bigger porch lights. Other than that, the home is beautiful.

• enailes
    14 years ago

I would use bigger brass or black coach lights by the front door. Your foundation needs a little more variation and contrast, I would add either liriope or hostas with annuals intermixed in and a light mixture of grasses or daylillies to soften the edge. I would also open up the blinds, shades and personally prefer dark brown mulch which would give more visual impact to the beds. Your house is beautiful...

• lindac
    14 years ago

On the outside chance that this is a real person and not "spam bait"...
    That house looks like on one lives there....get some variation in the "green meat ball" shrubbery, get some flowers, paint the door, get a little vine going to soften the corners....but above all get that butcher paper off of the windows and open it up. Let's see the edges of some draperies ( lined of course) perhaps a valance. At least the blinds on the garage are open.
    Put some really big urns at the bottom of the steps, get rid of the security system sign....put a bird house in the tree, and hang a huge chandelier in the front entry hall....and turn on the light.
    But the house is cold and forbidding, no sign that real people live there.

• gamomof2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. A lot of these ideas are great. I've already ordered some large black lanterns, removed the sign, and I'm going to paint the door black just as soon as the weather cools down a bit. We live in GA and you don't want your door open when it's in the 90's.

With regards to the previous comment, I don't have butcher paper on the windows-ha! They are white wooden blinds and they're closed because of the sun.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

As for removing the security sign...Isn't it there to ward off potential intruders? I vote for function over form on this one! Lovely home, and the closed blinds are, again, practicality over aesthetics, i.e. living in the real world:>)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here are a few ideas to warm things up. This is Spring with azaleas and a dogwood, if there's a spot for it.
    If you should ever repaint, I'd consider a warmer white (2nd pic) to soften it up a bit also:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

• teacats
    14 years ago

Squirrel! Those are simply wonderful virtuals! :)

You are WAY WAY good! :)

LOVE the taller bushes and the white lantern posts -- very classic!

Jan

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Well, thanks Teacats!! : ))

Here are a couple other ideas. Maybe you've got a spot for a Cherry Blossom that wouldn't obscure the house too much.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Maybe a small Weeping Cherry : )

{{!gwi}}

• clumsycook
    14 years ago

I was thinking about two small evergreens by the door and squirrelheaven's pictures look great!

gamomof2 - I wanted to ask you what kind of material is framing your windows. Is is stucco, wood, hardiplank, etc..? I LOVE that look.

• gamomof2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. We seem to be the only house in our neighborhood without shutters. It's stucco and it's virtually maintenance free.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz