Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Kitchen and bath window treatments: may I ask for your help?

SparklingWater
9 years ago

We redid our galley kitchen last summer and are enjoying it immensely. Currently the kitchen and bath (the latter is directly down from kitchen window some 25') have half curtains which must go. As these windows are the only natural light and connect, I think the same color treatments are the way to go. I'm not really fond of planation shutters for a non-southern colonial. For blinds, I have looked at cellular as well as woven natural bamboo shades, regular as well as top down, bottom up which may be needed for bath.

The kitchen window has only 1/4" inside mounting available, which means going above to the frame or putting in a very narrow rolling shade. The bathroom window has 3/4" inside to mount on and needs lower half privacy. I've been toying largely with top down, bottom up (at least for the bathroom) as it fits the needs and still covers lower half in a more modern look. Most manufactures interior depth are 1" to 11/2" so it looks like this means what is chosen must be mounted on the outside of the window, unless simple slim roller shades are chosen. I've had half curtains for years and want to bump it up a little. Budget is $$ to $$$, but not $$$$.

I'm including photos of the kitchen and bath. The walls in both rooms are painted F&B Cornforth White (a pretty neutral gray white). The kitchen countertops are carrara. The cabinets are Elkay Innermost Arctic White. Finishes are satin nickel and stainless steel (except haven't changed out door knobs yet).The floors are hardwood walnut stain. The bathroom is separated by a hall from the kitchen yet the windows are across from one another. The bathroom is white tile/black trim original 1940's. The kitchen contrast elements are some black (wrought iron stair well, range knobs) and warm tones: china in gold/green/plum/peach; large artwork with gray/black background and vase with flowers in red/yellow/purple and green in black frame. Lighting is layered: recessed, under cabinet, and flush in BR. Brightens up nicely.

I welcome your suggestions on how to finish off these two windows.

Sole double hung kitchen east facing window:
{{gwi:1725235}}

Interior dimensions (HxWxD): 48.5"x35"x 1/4" (pretty much rules out inside mount due to 1/4" wood depth)

Exterior dimensions: 52"x40.4"x1/4"
Smoothest point on window trim for mounting is at 37.5" centered-leaves 1.5" of window trim horizontally on each side. Would this look odd?

Double hung bathroom window facing west and to front of house and directly across from kitchen window some 25' away.

{{gwi:1725237}}

Dimensions:
Interior: (HxWxD) 60"x39"x3/4" (limited by 3/4")
Exterior: 63 1/2"x45"x3/4" (top and side trim is 3") (flat part of trim is 43" centered for mounting considerations, leaves 1 inch on each side)

Kitchen with floor (walnut tone)

{{gwi:1725238}}

Thank you.

Comments (15)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Am I reading your post right when I think you are saying that you want natural light but some privacy in the bathroom and design in the kitchen?

What I'd do is frost the bathroom window and have no window treatment, and in the kitchen, I'd put pretty lace curtains up on an inside mount that are no longer than the bottom of the window.

Or, frost the bathroom window AND put matching lace curtains on that window as well. And they'd compliment that gorgeous chandelier too! Like these.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you're reading right.

Frosting window panes is a method I am unfamiliar with but recently saw on Houzz. I wonder if once you put them on, you can remove them or are they forever on. They'd need to be opaque; just the bottom half.

Thanks for the suggestion of the lace. I've seen it put inside glass window cabinets in arts and craft homes.

My kitchen space is transitional. I'm wondering if introducing natural grass treatments might coordinate with the wood floor. Maybe bamboo. But they'd have to be centered over the windows on the upper trim. Just not sure any treatment that doesn't fit inside the window is acceptable nowadays.

Please keep making suggestions. This is difficult for me.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or plain film/frosting:

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do agree that mounting inside the window is desirable.

This is a favorite Houzz kitchen and love the window. Perhaps a Roman Shade in the kitchen and same fabric grommet half curtain in the bath?

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/golf-club-renovation-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~3449083)

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Cheryl Scrymgeour Designs

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

If you go with frosting the window, do just the bottom half, unless it is absolutely necessary to do the top. I have one bathroom with the window frosted both top and bottom, and I hate it. If I want to look out the window in that area, I have to open the window to look out. Also, found out a week after we moved into this house, that the frosting isnt all that great for privacy, I stood outside the house and could see my husband in the bathroom. Next day, I put blinds on the window. Mine is factory frost, and I dont think there is any way to remove it, or it would be long gone.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I've got the privacy film from Gila up on one of my porch windows and it works great. Can't see a thing, but it also doesn't darken the porch. It's very opaque. that might be the way to go, and if you some day decide you don't like it, you can just peel it off. Very easy to put on.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think of fabric curtains? Recently a colorist who visited said open windows are where it's at. I'm a tad more private although I don't cover my windows, just layer them to allow sunlight.

Here's a modern Jim Thompson toile window treatment in yellow/gold that would go well with the Cornforth White (grey white) room paint and introduce warmth. This fabric is discontinued.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~131752)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Far Hills Interior Designers & Decorators J. Stephens Interiors

Here is Jim Thompson's Gables print in cotton:
    {{gwi:1725302}}

Farrow and Ball Cornforth White:

Unlike the colorist, I think window fabric treatments are fine as lone as they are not dated and are fresh (not saggy, on appropriate rods etc). With imagination, I could see the bath window with the same fabric on the lower half, with tabs or ribbons trisecting the curtain on a nice large rod. Just drop the above down, add length and mount it half way. For the kitchen, do it as a valance or roman shade.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:06

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I have a window in my master bath (40Wx84L) that needs privacy but is too shallow for an inside mount. There's also a large window above the tub. I plan to do top down shades mounted on the wall right above the molding, and cover the molding on each side. I do think it would look strange to only partially cover the molding. My seamstress is making them out of fabric to coordinate with our bedroom.

Front window, partially-the only pic I have on my iPad.

• olympia776
    9 years ago

The POs put frosting on the lower windows in the kitchen. I really didn't like it at first but the kitchen uppers are frosted as well. Anyway, fast forward two years and I still have it up. I think I prefer the look of no window treatments. It allows light into the room but it's not direct streaming light from the lower windows. I think it'd be great in the bath and somehow I like it in my own kitchen. I've thought about adding some kind of natural fiber blinds in the kitchen instead but I need privacy on the lower half of the window rather than the upper. If I had a retro kitchen I'd do cafe curtains.

Anyway, probably not too much help but I've liked the frosting more than I thought I would.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Tibbex and browneyes, I can definitely see the value of lower window frosting. It certainly frees up any need for window curtains or shades, while providing needed privacy. I'm going to look at these non-adhesive DIY sites I found on Houzz:

http://www.artscape-inc.com/products/
    http://gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx
    www.solyxfilms.com

jackson2348, what a pretty kitchen! I love the cabinets and floor together. Your kitchen window is very similar but longer than what I'm dealing with. Top down treatments are a good solution for a bath, and one I had not thought about. Is there one less cord than the up/down mechanism? I'm thinking about what you said about mounting above the trim: you're doing the full width of the window trim then? If you can remember to post a photo when your seamstress is done and they are up, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you all.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just hung this picture behind the spiral stairs. It's a good example of how I'm bringing in warm colors with the light gray wall paint, countertops and white cabinets.

{{gwi:1725305}}

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what I plan to replace the table/chairs with. I notice the window treatment is covering the trim. Reminds me of a Smith & Noble product.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 14:39

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

In my old house, I shirred lace top and bottom and mounted it directly onto the window frame in my bathroom....the part that slides up and down. This way I was able to have privacy, still open the window for ventilation and enjoy the daylight and view above. Sorry, I don't have any pics of it...got the idea from a showhouse I went to and found it very practical.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lace is very pretty by nature and I have it lace in my bed room. For the kitchen and bath, I want warm colors to soften the gray/white in the room. I may have to wait until I plan the banquette seat colors. I could go neutral with the windows as in the banquette photo or reverse it and go neutral on the banquette seating. Trying to make some decisions to move along.

{{gwi:1725310}}

{{gwi:1725312}}
    {{gwi:1725314}}

{{gwi:1725315}}

{{gwi:1725316}}