Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Posting pictures, every which way but up?

Oakley
9 years ago

I'm starting to lose my mind here because no one is commenting on this in any of the threads I've read.

About 75% of pictures posted are sideways. Is it just me? I usually read the board on my PC.

I can't even comment about anything if a picture is off kilter.

Is this happening to anybody else?

Comments (23)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

It's GW's buggy software. Try this: right click on the pic and choose (if it comes up) "open in new tab / window". Ninety nine times out of ninety nine, it comes up perfectly in the new tab or window.

Then just switch back and forth as needed.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

It's not just you, oak. But if you just click the pic it will resolve in a new window as cold weather said. But then you have to remember to close that window, not the browser. It's not all the pics. Like you I use a pc, not a tablet.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

This happens a lot, I'm guessing mostly those who take pics on an iPad or other tablet. Even though on the tablet the photo will turn itself right-side-up, depending on how you held it, it often will come up here on its original orientation. There are entire threads about this. I think I read that this can be permanently corrected if you open the photo (e.g., iPhoto) and save it. The correct orientation becomes part of the photo.

But, it is irritating to try to follow a thread and have to right the image. It seems easy enough to avoid to me, but I realize not everyone enjoys solving tech problems.

• joeymc96
    9 years ago

One of the pictures I posted was sideways. I posted on my phone and it looks the right direction there. I didn't even realize it was sideways until I looked at it on my laptop at work today. The second picture I posted immediately after was the correct direction. I don't understand how it happened.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

It used to make me crazy until I realized that I could click on the picture and it would be correctly oriented.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I have posted this until I am blue in the face, but lots of new (and old) members do not see, read or know it. But I know lots of people are sick of reading it in my posts:

Cell phone and tablet photos should be taken in landscape mode, bottom of your phone to your right, and you will never have orientation issues.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll definitely try right clicking next time. This past week it's gotten really bad for some reason.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

love my yard,
    I've tried taking pix with my iPad in every direction and they can still show up wonky depending on if viewed by an iPad or PC. When it was upside down to the iPad view it was right side up on the PC and vice-versa - even when the camera button was on the right.

• suero
    9 years ago

What happens when you preview your message? Does the picture display differently in your message when you look at it on your iPad than it does on your PC?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have noticed it too Oakley but I know that I have posted wonky pics before and didn't realize it until I viewed it on my pc rather than my ipad. I love taking pics with my ipad because it is so quick but I have stopped doing it because I never know if it will be oriented correctly. I hate having to drag out my Canon take pics, download them to the pc before I can post.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Suero,
    Is your question for me? I don't remember because I did the fooling around with it when I first got my iPad January 2013. I rarely use my PC or laptop any more and I try not to post many pix because of the known orientation problem. I just remember the end result was the pix showed up differently on PC vs iPad.

Sometimes others mention a pix (not one of mine) is the wrong way to them and it's fine for me on my iPad. Last pix I posted where in the waterlogue thread on the conversation side. I don't think anyone mentioned an orientation issue with those. Since I don't have a MAC, only an iPad, I don't have iPhoto to adjust pix.

ETA: I can rotate pic on the iPad but if if shows up for me correctly in the preview (and I don't double check it on the PC or laptop) I wouldn't rotate it.

This post was edited by hhireno on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 17:18

• Bunny
    9 years ago

There is an iPhoto app for the iPad, but it's $4.99. Still, if you take photos with your iPad, I think it's worth it.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Seen one sideways, otherwise no problems here. Tilt your head and look, they're not Picaso masterpieces. Camera is easy & quick, stick the card in the slot and be done.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

I keep waiting for the websites (in general) to fix this obvious glitch but it hasn't happened yet, I don't get upset with the photo poster because it doesn't look wrong-oriented to them but to many of us viewers they're sideways or upside down and a hassle to constantly do something to right-side them.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankfully I don't know what to do with a picture after I take one on my iPad. lol. I always keep my camera out so it's easier to just use it and download it to my PC.

Besides, the pics I take on my iPad are lousy! :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Linelle, thanks for that tip. I will gladly pay $4.99 to save the hassle of getting my large camera out of the camera bag. Small price to pay for the convenience.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

holly-kay, I agree. I think it's $4.99 well spent.

• flymom65
    9 years ago

I got my large camera out and when I used tinypic, it flipped the photos. Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Sorry for the headaches oakleyok!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip about clicking on the photo. I usually just hit the back button when the picture is sideways or upside down.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Linelle, I downloaded the iPhoto last evening. When I get home I am going to try posting a pic using that app.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

There is so much discussion out there about this issue. The Apple forums are full of threads. Some cite a Mac/Windows issue, but I see sideways photos on my Mac devices, so it's not necessarily that.

There is an orientation flag embedded in photos, indicating right-side-up. Clearly it doesn't always work, e.g., here on GW. Maybe it's the board software?

I have both an iPhone and iPad. I never take pics with my iPad, which isn't the current model. I have an iPhone 5S and take photos in both portrait and landscape modes all the time. Whether I'm sending one as an email attachment, directly to Facebook or to Flickr (where all my photos posted here reside), I never get orientation mishaps.

I never post directly from my iPhone to GW. I always import into iPhoto, crop if necessary, save to my Desktop with a logical filename, and then upload to Flickr. If you take a photo in landscape orientation, even if your iPad thoughtfully rotates it for you in viewing mode, the image file may still think it belongs laying on its side. When you import into, say, iPhoto, you can rotate the file and it gets saved that way, esp. if you export it to your Desktop with a new filename. Yes, an extra step or two, but just part of a workflow that corrects the issue.

• mfnJsb0809
    9 years ago

Testing

• Bunny
    9 years ago

mfn, right side up. Cute kitty.