Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdel_gw

(uncovered) patio furniture- cushions yea or nay?

ncdel
9 years ago

I love the look and comfort of the cushioned patio furniture, both a seat cushion for dining and sofa/chair seating area. However, I find it hard to believe that those cushions can actually be left out in the rain and hold up for any amount of time, so if my only option is to be putting cushions in & out of some storage box or elsewhere, I am wondering I am better off getting some of the super low maintenance aluminum furniture (as long as it is comfortable).

Any insight from anyone who has owned cushioned furniture (brands to recommend or not recommend,, how to care for it, etc) would be great.

We are likely looking in the mid-price range, not the highest end brands but not the lower end either.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I live in southern California, so patio furniture is usable all year. Unfortunately, I've never discovered a way to keep cushions clean. There's no way I would cover and uncover them every time I want to use them. So, I purchased a version with woven vinyl straps for seats and backs that are comfortable without cushions. This way, I can hose off the furniture and I don't have to mess about with cushions. I've linked the ones I bought below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roma

• chispa
    9 years ago

It depends where you live. When we lived in the northeast I would never have left cushions out all the time, but now in CA they stay out year round. We have O.W. Lee wrought iron furniture that come with sunbrella cushions. I hose them off once in a while and beat/shake the dust/pollen off when we use them.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I think the best of both worlds is to buy furniture that can used with or without cushions. That way in the guestionable times of year (spring and winter) you can store the cushions and still use the furniture with out them thing bring the cushions outside for the summer when your probly using the outdoor furniture most any way.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I own cast aluminum furniture. It won't blow away in high wind.....something to consider. I don't own seat cushions for the patio set & it's not all that comfortable without. Metal also heats up in the sun, If it's really hot you could burn yourself on the furniture......seriously!

I just recovered cushions & put a new sling on a BIG porch swing. It's really comfortable, the arms are plastic....nothing metal touches you....but I keep it covered when not in use. Hassle! But it's bird poop free when we sit on it! :0)

Sling furniture you throw out when it rots in the sun.

I don't think there is a perfect outdoor product. Look @ price and style....and just go for it!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

If you want cushions on your outdoor furniture, and many people do, you should invest in certified EZ-Dri closed cell foam cushions. This is an outdoor foam cushion that sheds water, dries in minutes - and they will not mold or mildew like most regular upholstery foam cushions do.

Put Sunbrella or another exterior-grade fabric covers on them, and you can leave them out year round. Most people donâÂÂt know to request exterior rated closed cell foam cushions, and donâÂÂt want to pay the added money that they cost, but they are worth it. ThatâÂÂs the only foam I sell in my Etsy shop when the buyer tells me the cushions are for the outdoors.....unless they want to haul them all inside each and every time rainy weather threatens.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I have chairs on my patio with cushions that sit outside 365 days a year. I live in north Texas and we get an average of 35 inches of rain a year, hot weather, cold weather, and even snow now and then.

The cushions hold up fine. After it rains I usually tip the chairs sideways so the cushions drain but it's ok if I don't. I have some that are probably 10 years old and they look great.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by happyladi on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:35

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years