Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of a blanket vs a quilt or coverlet for top of bed...

Posted by ajc9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 14:43

Hello all!

With a duvet and shams...I don't really think I want a coverlet for my guest bed. Anyone ever use a blanket for the top of your bed? Check out my link below...this is a substantial blanket...very pretty in gray!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of a blanket vs a quilt or coverlet for top of bed...

My experience with blankets on the top of the bed is that they usually don't lay very nice and they are not even, end to end. But I agree, that one is a very pretty one. Maybe this one would be different.

o

Is this over the duvet ? It is a beautiful blanket...but I am confused. Thought a duvet would be the top layer?

o

Joanie...I thought about that...hmmm. I guess I just like the blanket and the color goes well with what I'm going for...so I want it to show. I called today...the blanket is 8 pounds...not sure how thick it is which would help with it looking hefty I suppose. Most blankets seemed to be 5 or so pounds on their site. They r sending a swatch which will help!

Anni...Im for sure no expert in putting together a bed! Hence the reason I've been posting so many questions about it..haha! What I was thinking..is the blanket would go over the sheeting...with a duvet over top, folder in half at the end of the bed? So, with the shams and such...maybe a foot and a half or so of the blanket would be showing. Weird sounding?

o

No...I think that sounds perfect

o

That's the way I make my bed. I have the duvet folded at the bottom and the top sheet folded back over the top of the blanket/quilt/coverlet so that you see a swath of the blanket/quilt/coverlet between the sheet and the duvet. Then the pillows are placed at the head of the bed in layers. I imagine that the blanket you linked will look nice.

o

Ok...thank you again! The swatch should be here in a few days. It's more than I prefer to spend on a blanket...but it may be worth the splurge;)

o

I did this with a very heavy, winter blanket from Peacock Alley. It had a satin finish on all four borders and looked very pretty. Since I already had it and it was right color, I saw no reason to buy anything else at the time.

o

Sometimes that arrangement looks best when the blanket and top sheet border are tucked in all the way around. I like it - it's layered, but not too much, and welcoming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here