Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lynninnewmexico - you'll love this (I think!)

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:39

Lynn I thought of you immediately - not in your beloved Michigan but a bit closer ;-) Such a gorgeous house and property, about 5 miles from me. I far prefer your wall color, though, and the consistency in your home. If this was painted your color I'd like it much more, but the detail in this house is stunning no matter the color. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Mexico Adobe in Lake Forest, IL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lynninnewmexico - you'll love this (I think!)

Don't know about Lynn.....but I love it!!!!

o

That's amazing! Dlm, it's not Lynn's beloved Michigan, but it's getting closer! (She'll love it!)

o

OMG, that is one very authentic New Mexico style home . . . thanks DLM! I was preparing myself to see the cliched-New Mexico things that we hate out here: the howling coyotes and kokopelli's on everything; cheap tacky wall art, bright pink and turquoise "Indian" pots made in China, etc. . . but there is none of that in this home. The beamed and latilla ceilings with the corbels, kiva fireplaces, furniture, saltillo tile floors, beautiful, authentic, tasteful art and rugs, real bancos (built-in benches) and nichos (wall niches for art); undulating stuccoed patio walls and more are all what I see every day around here. It's obvious that they spared no expense in creating their dream, authentic New Mexican home in Illinois and it's a beauty!

Only one thing, they would never refer to it as an "adobe home" out here if it wasn't made out of real adobe bricks, but that's a moot point for people not very familiar with the New Mexico vernacular. Our home is a true adobe, but there are many, many stucco over block homes out here . . . probably more of those than true adobes these days as the price to build them is through the roof now. They get that thick adobe look by attaching chicken wire over the block walls and then stuccoing over that. It looks very nice, too.

I'm off to go look at all the pics again. What a great home! Thanks for showing me it, DLM!
Lynn

o

Lynn I'm so glad you like it and don't think it's a wannabee house! It's just a *tad* over our price range or I'd certainly consider it - ha! The setting is one of a kind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here