|My 1970's house is dark choco color and we decided to change the color to a lighter shade.
The roof is light gray and the trim is white.
I have seen that newer homes have matching roofs or coordinating colors to go with the exterior and trim colors.
I used Sherwin williams online color software and when I painted a light grey roofed house with beige or green, it did not look great at all.I am thinking of changing to a cream color and white trim to give it a clean look.
1. Can anyone think of any other colors that would go well with my current roof color.
2. Can you recommend any cream shades that has been tried and tested. I am going with california paints, but i can have it matched to other brands.
3.Pictures of homes with the same color as my roof, would help too.
Here is a picture of my house.
Thanks in advance.
|What about a midtone gray or a mossy green? I'm not sure I see cream with the gray roof.|
|Did you know there's paint out there to paint shingles? Check with Ho De or Lowes.|
|I think you need to stick with darker or cooler colors. Beige and green don't go with light gray too well. |
I'd try a blue gray color with the white trim, or I think maybe even paint the house white and have dark gray trim with black shutters.
How old is your roof? If it needs to be replaced soon, maybe you can just hold off and repaint once you get a new roof. Just remember to not get a roof in a trendy color - go with a dark brown or a very dark gray - goes with everything.
|Is this your current house color in this photo? You mentioned a choco color, this looks dark gray to me. Maybe it's my monitor?? In any event, I agree with Carol that a dark blue/gray would be pretty. In the article I linked below they talk about the best colors for a gray roof to be gray, blue, white or yellow. ;c) |
Here is a link that might be useful: Roof Color/Exterior color article
|I'm glad you are changing the color of your house. The dark color of the siding is harsh against that light colored roof. |
I think white or yellow would not be attractive at all (IMHO) but a blue-gray or medium gray would be striking. Gray is a cool color and the cream/browns/yellow are warm and so they would not blend well. Stick to a cool color...
|Thanks everyone..for your ideas. Lindybarts, the link was indeed useful.|
Return to the Home Decorating Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here