Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

my3dogs question

kjmama
11 years ago

Hello My3dogs

I was wondering the height of the beadboard in your bathrooms? Thanks! Love your house:)

Comments (13)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Thanks! I do, too, and as I read the post on what makes a house welcoming, I thought that my little house is.

The beadboard is actually different heights. In the upstairs bath, I had taken out the original heavy matched pine that was there and just put the same height back up. In the upstairs bath with the wallpaper, it's 47" high, including the trim on top. In the half bath, it's 49" including the trim.

Upstairs

Half bath

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Is that a custom vanity made from a piece of furniture? It's really pretty!

Also, what shade of green is in your half bath? After seeing that color with you decor, I might consider green for my country kitchen.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome! Thanks so much! We are adding some this week and I was contemplating that height. It makes me feel better to see it done well. Yes your home is very welcoming. I'd like to move on in! :)
    Blessings.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

any peek at my3dogs is a good peek!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

What a wonderful way to start my Saturday! Thanks, ladies!

bleigh, I make my vanities from old bureaus/dressers. That one was purchased from an elderly friend for $100. I had to cut about 8" off the legs as it was taller than would work. Having the top drawer be deeper from front to back helped a lot as I could buy a larger sink.

This is one that I put in my cellar bathroom last year. This one is the more typical size, which measures about 18" front to back, as does my upstairs bath. The only sink I was able to find that would fit in is the Kohler Serif. The drawers in all of them have been cut away so that they are usable for storage.

The green paint is Behr Ryegrass, and it is a wonderful color that goes with so many other colors.

kj and cooper - awww - you're so nice!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I second that cooper! And ,it is not only her sense of color and style, but she does everything on a shoestring budget and is also talented enough to do things herself.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Ellendi! Thanks so much! I didn't mention that the cellar bureau/vanity was $30 on Craigslist, but needed a lot of work.
    It started out like this; pic from the CL ad -

And after re-painting and graining, it looked like this. Not bad for $30 and a bit of craft paint.

I buy remnants of stone from a nearby stone yard, which are half the cost of a slab per sq. foot.

Today, I am dismembering this bergere chair that I got on CL for $90. I have always wanted one this style, and when I saw that it was Drexel Heritage and in like-new condition, I jumped at it. I am going to attempt reupholstering it, and here is where the real bargain comes in. The fabric that I bought to re-do it was from Country Curtains, marked down from $30.50 per yard to $3.99! It's made in the USA at their factory. So instead of $152.50 for fabric, I paid $19.95!

Pics from the CL ad.

Front of the 'Belvedere' fabric from CC. The small piece of fabric on these pics is a swatch of what my office loveseat is being redone in (by a 'real upholsterer'). It's Robert Allen 'Edwina', which lists for $82.00 a yard and I got mine for $7.00 a yard!

This is the back side, which I prefer and hope to use facing out. I MAY make the welt cord with the red side facing out for a bit of contrast, I have to play with it and see how it will look. I absolutely LOVE doing stuff like this, which I think you have realized! :-)

• fripper
    11 years ago

My3dogs, didn't I read in a previous post that the beadboard you used is a vinyl (or something similar) instead of wood? If so, where did you purchase it and are you still pleased with it?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

fripper, yes, it is vinyl and I got it at Home Depot. I LOVE it. I painted it my trim color, as it comes in pure white. My sister installed wooden beadboard and she likes mine much better.

• fripper
    11 years ago

I didn't even realize they made vinyl beadboard until I read your previous post. That's definitely the way I'll go when we get ready to redo our little bath. BTW, the fabric for your chair is gorgeous! Thanks so much!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

i remember that dresser! It made a beautiful vanity.

• lefleur1
    11 years ago

I am also a big fan of all your projects...so talented...and such a dedicated, hard worker you are! I love thinking about *doing* a lot of projects, but, but, I'm a much better dreamer than I am a *doer*.

Your vinyl beadboard looks wonderful...did you need a special paint that adheres to vinyl?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Hi, lafleur1,

No special paint needed. I just used the same Sherwin Williams semi-gloss trim paint that is all through the house. I painted the 'panels' of beadboard before we installed them, and then just did touch-up once they were cut to size and put up.

I just found the type that I used at HD and put the link below. Mine was taller, though, and we cut it down on a table saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl beadboard