Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Library in the Foyer?

jeri
14 years ago

What do you think of this idea?

Our family would love to have a library with one of those ladders that slide along the wall. We are buying a new place (a fixer upper) and have what we think is a unique idea.

The foyer of this single story house is fairly large with a vaulted ceiling. Once inside, you either head left to the kitchen, LR, FR, DR or right to the bedrooms. There is a wall to the right of the front door that is apx 11 ft deep and the ceiling height is 9ft at the door side, angling up to the vaulted height where the hall to the bedrooms begin.

We were thinking of turning this wall into a library wall, complete with sliding ladder. Behind this wall is the master closet which measures 11 x 11, so we can take some of this space to recess the wall a bit, so as to not crowd the door which it doesnÂt come close to doing even now.

You may need a pic or 2 to visualize this space, but I wanted to see what you thought about the idea in general. There would also be room in this foyer for a couple of small chairs and a lamp.

Comments (22)

• kgsd
    14 years ago

If the foyer is large enough, I think it sounds like a great idea. Especially with the chairs, it shouldn't feel crowded, but I'd love to see that right inside the entrance.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Brillant idea! -- just to be sure to that the books are protected from too much wind or weather as the door opens/closes!

Can't WAIT to see some photos! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• caminnc
    14 years ago

Sounds lovely!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Sure, it's a great idea! What I like the most in people's homes are unexpected places for books. Like hallways, if one has a hallway wide enough. If you have a long foyer wall, then I say go for it!

Only thing I'd do differently is to get a good step stool instead of a ladder.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I don't think your idea is crazy at all. I think it's brilliant . . . if your new foyer can pull it off. As Kgsd mentioned, it would look best if you can include a nice, reading chair, table and lamp in there as well. A wingback would be lovely.
    Lynn

• jlsch
    14 years ago

Here is a photo of someone who did just that in their foyer. Not exactly as your are explaining it, but looks wonderful just the same! I think it would be a wonderful idea. wig

Here is a link that might be useful: library in foyer

• equest17
    14 years ago

I love the idea! What a great way to greet friends and visitors. And I think your vision of a rolling ladder is perfect. They can be very expensive, but I was just looking through the Outwater catalog and saw that you can buy all the hardware and track components and build your own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling ladder kit

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I think it's perfect. If I had a foyer of any sort I'd do it in an instant! (I don't think my teeny section of tile counts . . .) What would be more of a "welcome home" sign than to see your favorite books as you step through the door?

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

Great idea! And while a stool is practical I understand your desire for a coolness factor with the ladder :-) Go for it!

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much everyone! I am more excited now than ever!

Thanks for all the links too! I had only thought about the one wall holding books  but we may be able to expand this more  just like in the linked foyer. And my husband would *love* to build his own ladder!

We went over to the new place last evening  itÂs not even ours yet, but it already feels like it is. I just walked from room to room dreaming of all the possibilities this wonderful (but sadly mistreated) house has to offer. :-)

• houstonmom_gw
    14 years ago

I just have to chime in and tell you I really LOVE the idea. The ladder is a MUST...that is an integral and MAJOR part of the design. Good luck, and please post pictures when you are done!

• casajakada
    14 years ago

What a great idea! It will lend an immediate feeling of welcome and warmth to your home. I agree with the idea of a wing chair, small side table and lamp. I'd also include the ladder as a "must have". I've always wanted a library and pictured the ladder there, too. Good luck with your new home!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

My you have good taste. What a wonderful idea!

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi!

I wanted to post the dimensions of our foyer and see if you still like this idea for our space. I can take some pictures if that would help.

Below is a layout of the whole house so that you have perspective. The foyer closet would become shelves. Second is a layout change that I would love to get some feedback on. As you can see, we move the opening of the living room which will give us more wall space for the library. We would only do this if we move forward with the great room idea for the kitchen and family room modification.

In the foyer itself, the ceiling height starts at 9 feet where the front door is and slopes up to 14 feet at the back wall. There is also a lovely dormer window in the center of the foyer which lets in a lot of indirect light and houses a beautiful (yet simple in design) chandelier.

Please let me know what you think!

Jeri

• nancyvh
    14 years ago

I think it's a great idea! One of my neighbors did this in her 2 story foyer and it was gorgeous(no ladder though)! When she sold her home, it was a real selling point.Buyers loved it!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

As a person who has millions of books in her home, I love the idea. I have one caveat. Books, like everything else, get very dusty. If the foyer is much-used, your books will suffer, and maintenance will be a nightmare.

I have books lining the walls of our dining room that is in the center of the house and gets walked through many times a day, more books in my bedroom, and books in the library/office that we keep the door closed on a good part of the time. Those are the books that need the least attention, despite the daily use of the library.

It's something I think you should consider if that is the main entrance to the house or gets a lot of trafic. Unless, of course, you love to dust! But in my opinion, I HATE DUSTING BOOKS!

It looks like a gorgeous house!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Still voting your this wonderful idea!!! How about a round table in the middle of the new foyer/library? With a large floral arrangement -- and piles of books on the table!

Jan

• User
    14 years ago

I'll be right over, with a few boxes of books.

That's a marvelous layout.

• yogacat
    14 years ago

I'm one of those people who loves floor to ceiling, wall to wall books everywhere except kitchens and bathrooms, so a library/foyer is very appealing. Library ladders can be a risk for tripping, but it looks like there is enough space between the door and the soon-to-be-former closet to be safe enough.

Please pay attention to the light from the dormer. Sun fades dust jackets and bindings very quickly, so you'll want to protect any collectible editions by putting them elsewhere or inside clamshell boxes.

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

So, you all think I have enough room in this area to pull this off? If you all think I do, then itÂs a go. :-)

We were in CostCo last evening and found a couple of chairs that we think will be perfect for this area. I wish I had a photo of them. I think you would all agree. IÂll be sure to remember the table with flowers  that will be the perfect welcome to our home.

I hate to dust, so IÂll have to work something out there. And the sunlight in this area is indirect, but I will be watchful of this as well.

No one has commented on the floor plan change. I did post that over in Building a Home, but no feedback yet. Should I start a new thread on that? Does that belong on this forum???

• User
    14 years ago

Jeri, what a beautiful home. I think the changed doorway into the living is a very good idea. Where will you be adding a chair for reading?