Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danceme

Terra cotta and blue

danceme
9 years ago

I really like our house. I've been decorating in shades of blue bc that has always been my favorite color. We are about to paint our bedroom Wythe Blue. The family who built our house did a great job with lots of things, but it looks like when they got to the bathroom tile, maybe they were out of money and got whatever was on clearance. I hate the color of this tile. What would you call it? Terra cotta? We have spent a ton of money on the basement, the yard, etc., and ripping out this tile just bc I don't like it isn't an option right now. The only think we've done in there was replace the countertop. It was a concrete veneer in a greenish black and it was cracking, so when we replaced the cracked concrete veneer in the kitchen, we just did all the bathrooms. We put in a granite called Blue Flower. I love it. Because of the tile, I just didn't know what to do in there, so I've done nothing. Then I saw this house and I thought maybe I could do all the trim and doors in aqua and it would go with the tile. My tile is more red than theirs. What do you think? Yay? Nay?
http://www.elmueble.com/articulo/casas/5642/una_casa_sur_llena_buenos_momentos.html#gallery-10

Comments (9)

• danceme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another house decorated in similar colors

Here is a link that might be useful: Another turquoise and terra cotta house

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

To me this tile looks pink-beige and gold beige (the accent). I think the current paint is too yellow on my monitor. I think blue/aqua can look great with terracotta which is a stronger and more orange tone, but it might make this tile look more pink. My sister has similar tile, and we picked a color that pulled out the lighter tones in the background of the larger tile--the paint color we picked probably has a slightly pink undertone, but it just sort of blends everything together rather than creating contrast. It's a tough tile to work with--but one that seems to be very popular in new builds in certain areas.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would try a truer blue rather than a blue-green or aqua. A warmer tone for the wall paint would help too -- something at least a beige cream rather than the buttery cream it appears on my monitor. The yellow just accentuates the pink/red factor.

• danceme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pictures and tones on monitors are so hard. The color on the walls is really neutral. It is called Sawyer's fence - just in case that means anything to anyone. It is definitely more on the beige-y tan side. I don't know if this picture helps see it better. We had a mishap with the mirror, and it has to be replaced now. And I don't love the color of the cabinets, but changing that isn't an option right now. I have to work with what I've got. What you see over in the lower right corner is more accurate, at least on my monitor.

So any suggestions of how to decorate with that color of tile? I'm going for a French Cottage thing in the whole rest of the house and exterior, but this room is just hard. I'm not wanting to go crazy in there, but something nice to make it...better? I like blues, apple green, gray, a little red. I like cool colors.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It's hard for me to really see what the tile looks like. On your second picture it looks more reddish.

I personally love any shade of blue and turquoise. However, because it looks like your tub is white, I probably would keep the window trim white, too.

I'd get some artwork and accessories in blue, maybe even a more cobalt blue or Greek blue (think Mykonos), lavender, or a more Turkish palette.

I don't know if it would be cheesy to get some photographs of sunsets over the ocean or French cityscapes and pull colors from that.

French bedroom

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I think I'd go with one of the deep gray colors of your granite.

• danceme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess calling it terra cotta was wishful thinking on my part. It is more pink/red, which is even worse.

I love Revere Pewter, and it would be a great transition from the Wythe Blue in the bedroom. It never occurred to me that gray would look good with that tile. It would look fantastic with the granite for sure. We are currently out of town visiting my family, and the painters are there working while we are gone bc they have to use KILZ on the wainscoting. So I can't put a paint chip up to that tile. I guess I could ask my contractor to and take a picture. Assuming it comes across right on the screen.

I would love to tone down the pink. I guess gray goes with everything. I confess I struggle to see tones on a small paint chip. It's not until it is on my wall and big as life that I see it. I love the Greek blues, and it is part of my color scheme, so accessorizing with that would be great. My dining room is painted a china blue. More navy than royal, but still very happy and bright. That room is mostly windows with white trim and gets a lot of light, so it really works. I even have two prints from our trip to Greece that we haven't framed. I haven't looked at them for years so I need to see what is in them. And I do have a big blank wall that needs something on it, so a print that incorporates the colors is a great idea.

I'm open to anymore ideas! Thanks everyone!

• danceme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So does anyone know what this tile is called? Since I'm not home while they are painting, I'd like to go buy a sample and put it with the paint so i can make sure it works for us.