Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

front door & shutter ideas (pics)

mpmg46
11 years ago

Hi all!

I'm hoping to head outside this week (only in the 70's--yay--versus the 90's last week!) to repaint our front door and shutters. I'm thinking about changing the colors, since they need to be repainted anyway. We live in a traditional community, so the colors need to stay that way.

Our house is a light gray, with blue shutters currently. I don't care for the blue so much anymore.

I'm hoping for suggestions on door color and shutter color.

Hope the pics help. I'm thinking maybe black shutters. ??? Maybe a black door? Or a red door? I don't know!!

Help please! Thanks!!

{{!gwi}}

close up:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

What's your favorite color?

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

My preference, black shutters and a dark red door (not fire engine).

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Black shutters and a red door are certainly traditional.

If you want to consider some other options, look at the Sherwin Williams website's color cards.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW exterior color schemes

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie-good question. I actually do like blues quite a bit. But I think I may go with something different for a change. It's been this way for 8 years.

Thanks ratherbesewing and graywings for your input and link.

I think I'll go for black shutters with a dark red door. It's the door I'm not so sure about. But if I don't like it, I can always repaint it black too. We face the sun...so I'd rather not have a door that burns me when I touch it!

Thanks again! Hopefully, I'll get to this in the next week and will be back to post pics. :)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Late to the party, but how about dark grey shutters and a deep mustardy gold door?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If blue is a favorite color, why not put it on the front door....you can still go with black shutters. Maybe paint the door BM november skies or jamestown blue. It would be quite different from the blue you have now.

• pensivern
    11 years ago

I like black shutters and black door.....OR, black shutters with a deep rich fuscia door. I saw this Combo once on a stately colonial such as yours and it looked very striking, less generic looking than a red door also.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the temps spiked to the high 90's this week. No painting happening right now!

Thanks all. Annie, I was thinking of that very idea when I backed out of the driveway this week. Blue door with black shutters. I will have to look up those 2 colors specifically and see.

Fun2bhere: I think that would look nice, but yellow is not one of my top colors...I'm not sure I could do it.

Alittleapple: The house is a very light gray in reality, so I don't know that I could do a light shutter color. Could I?

Pensivern: Hmm...I'll have to think about that one. I tend to be a "blend into the background type of girl", and my house reflects that.

Thanks again all! I do appreciate the input!

• myfoursquare
    11 years ago

We live in a house with gray siding and it had similar colored shutters when we moved in. When we repainted, we did a deep dark navy for the shutters and an apple-olivey type green for the door. Not super-bright green, kind of the color of the surrounding landscaping. I enjoy the color combo.