Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauracrawford28

Sea Salt color match

lauracrawford28
9 years ago

Has anyone had SW Sea Salt color matched by another company? My painter only uses Pittsburgh paint. I have been reading that Sea Salt doesn't color match well. I know color matching isn't completely accurate but have never had it to be way off before. If not, does anyone know of a Pittsburgh color that is similar. Thanks

Comments (12)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Hmm, we got it in Valspar last year, and it turned out very nicely. We left the SW test patch up for a while to see how close the color match was, and it was quite accurate. The only difference I noted was that in artificial light (night time), the Valspar color looked just a touch more green than the SW. I just love the color.

Is it common for painters to only work with one company? (I've only ever DIYed paint jobs, so this is a question from sheer ignorance...)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Check PPG Gale force.
    Yes painters will choose paint they are familiar with.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/color/paint-colors/gale-force-atc-59

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I may get a sample size color matched before I go all the way with it! I think Gale force may be a bit bluer. I love that Sea salt has the gray/green/blue depending on the light.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Get a sample of .....
    Bay of Fundy
    Falling star
    White Clover

Along with a color matched Sea Salt

Throw them all up and see how you feel in a day or two..

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

PPG Bay of Fundy would be closest, unless the paint store will try to color match it even closer.

• olympia776
    9 years ago

I've just had a color nightmare trying to match a BM color to SW. Then went and just bought it at BM and it doesn't match either. Have made 4 trips to 2 paint store and need to go again. I put up a sample or BM paint and because I bought it in Aura it's not even the same pigments. I feel a bait and switch and I'm pretty annoyed about it. Anyway, possibly pre commiserating with you?
    In the future I don't think I'll try to go with any color matching. I'm particular and it's too much of a headache. Just my recent $.02.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your 2 cents:) I am certain that I am putting way to much time and effort into selecting paint. I am having a house built which is taking ridiculously long time!! During this period of hurry up and wait, I am stressing completely over the paint. My furnishings will be all new and I will probably wait to furnish it until after it's built and see what my fund situation is! So therefore, I can't paint as to what my furniture will be. Ugh!!! I wish my painter would use SW but unfortunately that will be added cost because he has a contract with the local Pittsburgh paint dealer. And to make matters worse, I am reading on here about north facing rooms and lack of light so now my paint colors may have to change again. Who knew home decorating could make a person go crazy!!! (sorry for the rant!) Oh, and my husband may kill me if I go get any more samples mixed:/

• flymom65
    9 years ago

I thought I loved the color, too. I painted a windowless half bath and a windowless jack & jill bath in it (from SW). One looks more blue and the other green. Artificial light makes it look greener while fluorescent light makes it appear a beautiful bluish tint. Depending on the lighting and the time of day, I either love it or hate it. The green reminds me of a hospital green, Ugh.

• osugirl
    9 years ago

I'm in the process of choosing a bedroom paint color and somehow ended up with a sample of Sea Salt from SW and one color matched from Lowe's. They look identical. Hopefully your PPG sample will match up!

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses! Love your photo stephf!! I think I am going to just go get a sample size colormatched and stop stressing. I probably should just pick one plain neutral and do the whole house in it. That way I won't have to be freaking out over the 3 colors that I am allowed by the builder to choose! Also, I love to see rooms already painted before I pick the color but finding rooms online painted in different PPG paints are quite few and far between:(

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am oh so excited! I just found out that the company my painter uses also carries Glidden. I found a color that is so close to SW Sea Salt, called Gentle Tide. The color has been discontinued but can still be mixed. I can't wait to get a sample mixed up!