Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transitioning paint on bullnose corners

Posted by sdionnemoore (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 14:18

Hi all! We're in the process of having our drywall finished (new home)and have decided to go with bullnose (rounded) corners instead of regular corner bead. One thing I hadn't really considered was how to transition paint color from room to room, so now I'm asking you all. Does anyone have pictures or can offer suggestions on how to transition paint colors when you have no clean corner to make the break?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transitioning paint on bullnose corners

I don't have them but have seen them done to the end of the bull nose then use painters tape to get a nice edge. I also run caulk done the tape so it doesn't bleed under.

o

I have new construction with rounded corners, too. Just looked at mine and the painter rounded the corner with one color and then started the next. He taped and painted.

o

Thanks dd and parma. Could either of you supply a picture? I think I know what you mean, but a pic would clinch it for me. I'm very visual. Thanks!

o

Rounded corners!? This is a new one for me.

Inside corners or outside corners?

Can someone post a photo?

o

How funny! I'm wondering the same thing! My builder did the bullnose and I love the look of it but am stumped with paint. I also would love to see pictures!
Thanks!

o

I snapped a few pictures of this and the crown / base molding that goes around the bull-nose. Hope it helps!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Tinker's is just like the way my corners are painted.

o

Great! Thanks again. I love bullnose corners.

mclarke: Instead of an outside corner being a sharp right angle, they are rounded. It's just a little detail that is different but adds interest. HTH.

o

sdionnemoore we have bullnose corners in our current house as well as our last house. I prefer to change colors at a corner in the room instead of on the bullnose. I always do my own painting though. Tape just didn't give me a clean line (and straight lines are not my thing). I haven't heard of dd50's tip of running caulk down the tape. What kind of caulk? Clear silicone that can be pealed off?

Here is an example of what was at our new house. I don't suggest putting these two colors together at the bullnose :)
(the green was much brighter in person - like grass green)
Photobucket

o

I have seen homes with a line like this, but I have never seen a clean, straight line. I have been looking into this because I am trying to talk my husband into painting the kitchen but he doesn't want to end up with a jagged ugly line going into the hall and dining room. I found a tool that actually blends the colors on the corner at blendmate.com. Has anyone tried it? I have not seen them anywhere but they do sell them from the web.

Here is a link that might be useful: blendmate.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here