Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheat Paste

Posted by betsyhac (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 14:13

I bought some vintage wallpaper, and it was suggested that I use wheat paste. I was going to hire someone to install the paper for me, but she's very against wheat paste. I don't really know why wheat paste is good or bad. Can anyone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheat Paste

I've found the answer to my own question. I talked to Charlene at Rosie's and she said that she recommends wheat paste bc that was what was recommended by the manufacturer of the paper.

o

Wheat paste is flour and water, isn't it? I would use a commercial paste product for the paper.

o

Well, here's the def from Wikipedia: Wheatpaste (also known as potato paste, flour paste, rice paste, Marxist glue, or simply paste) is a liquid adhesive made from vegetable starch and water. It has been used since ancient times for various arts and crafts such as book binding, decoupage, collage, and papier-m�ch�. It is also made for the purpose of adhering paper posters to walls and other surfaces (often in graffiti). Closely resembling wallpaper paste, it is often made by mixing roughly equal portions of flour and water and heating it until it thickens, or by smearing cooked rice into a paste.

Why would you use commercial paste instead?

o

I use a commercial paste called "cellulose paste"...pretty much what wheat paste is...but the commercial stuff mixes smoother and easier without lumps, dries clear in case you mess up.....and costs more!
Linda C

o

Hanging wallpaper well is hard enough without adding in a cooking project where you are hoping to get it the right consistency and hoping it doesn't dry out along the way. I imagine - but don't know - that prepared wallpaper paste contains products to resist mildew.

o

Also, isn't there an issue with bugs liking to eat wheat paste?

o

Actually, graywings, I think it's already been cooked when you buy the powder, but lumpiness is an issue and, as you say, it's difficult enough. The mildew is an issue that I'm VERY concerned about.

terriks, I hadn't even thought of that! Really good point. Someone once recommended a wheat cat litter to me and it was horrible - a mess of bugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here