Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Need help with windows...

fivefootzero
9 years ago

Hi...trying to get window coverings for this room in our shore house. I'm pulling my hair out over it. The windows are wide and short (the 3-windows are 94" wide with molding, the 2-windows are 64" with molding). I have no clue where to start. I've tried to order blinds and shades, but chicken out because I'm afraid if it's custom that I won't be able to return if it doesn't work out right. I've looked at some blinds that have 3 on one headrail, but they're pretty expensive.

During the day they will mostly be open. I would probably close them, at least partially, at night for some privacy and our houses are close together.

There is now dark gray carpet in the room and the window trim is white. The room is open to another living area and the kitchen, and is right when you walk in. I was originally thinking matchstick/bamboo woven shades, but not sure how they will mount, especially if I have to do individual windows. And I can't do inside mount...has to be outside since there is no room.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm open to curtains, blinds, or any other suggestions.

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You should be able to do an inside mount with those windows.

I'd recommend getting top-down cellular blinds since it's a shore house. that way, you can lower just the top to let air in (assuming those windows open from the top down too) while still having privacy.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can't do inside mount...I'd be mounting into the window itself. There is no depth to them.

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Removed duplicate post.

This post was edited by fivefootzero on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 14:42

• nhb22
    9 years ago

The matchstick blinds that I had in a previous home, hung from hooks that screwed into the upper window casing. You should be able to do the same with your windows.

I also have individual blinds in my current home that have 3 single blinds on one headrail.

The only other thing I can think that would work would be long, floor length curtains, on a long rod that you would close at night.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I have used many different shades in the homes in which I have lived. I have usually purchased my shades from Overstock, JCPenny and Home Depot/Lowes.

Here is a link to overstock. These shades are super affordable. Not sure if they will work with your dimensions, but you can peruse the site and see what might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Shades

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd get inexpensive matchstick blind, 2 for the 64" windows, 3 for the 94" windows. Then mount them outside the windows. It looks like there's enough space, so they just meet at the frame in the middle of the windows.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Aliso Viejo Interior Designers & Decorators D for Design
    This last picture is a bit weird with the drapes mounted on the blinds, but you get the idea. If you're worried about how it looks, make a mock-up with (news)paper first.

I have two outside mounted shades, and it looks nice. You can play with how far to mount it on the outsides (left/right) of the windows to have just the right space in the middle, so don't need custom sizes.

The other option is to buy a standard size and cut it to size. Google for instructions.

Would you be able to install an inside roller shade?
    I came across some detailed instructions for the IKEA roller shades, Enje --- which are also a nice option.

And if you are so inclined, you can even paint or silk print on them.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Enje roller shade

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all the help. A day later and I can see clearly. I can't do any inside mount because it's basically the vinyl of the window I'd be mounting to...and I don't want to break the vinyl.

I think I found a solution though. Country Curtains has plain and simple white rod pocket curtains that I can get in 36" length (or 40" if I need more for the same price). What do you think about just plain curtains there? There will be other decor around to make up for the "boringness" but since we have a sectional going in that corner, I thought it might be the best option to get shorter and I can put on rings to make sure they can open and close easily.

Keep'em coming!!!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

White will be fine, but how are you mounting the curtain rods?

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can mount the curtain rods either across the top part of the molding (in the wall though) or just above. There's enough space there for that.

Keep'em coming!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Ok, sounds good. Make sure that your curtains are long enough, but not too long. The best thing is to put them on the rod before hanging the rod.