Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Beyond the window views...show us the rest!

stinky-gardener
11 years ago

It was fun to get a peek at what many here see as they look through their windows and doors, but what lies beyond? It would be fun to see more of your outdoor spaces! No limits here.

Comments (52)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Nice white water view, Sueb20. Gorgeous sunset, Lynn.

• colorblind1961
    11 years ago

Can't see to well, but there is an acre and a half on the other side of the pool.

Looking down to the rest of my neighborhood...

Front path looking down my street...

Looking back up at the house...

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue, what an adorable, quaint place to spend your summer! I know I love the inside of your cottage! Fun to see the surrounding area.

Lynn, what wonderful sitting areas! Wow! They look beautiful and comfy and the colors you used in the cushions and accessories are just yummy. I especially like the little aqua painted table. Indeed, that sunset is stunning.

Colorblind1961, the land just goes on and on! Love your moonbeam coreopsis by the front walkway. It just glows!That's one lucky little calico kitty!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Lynn,
    The sunset is so quintessential southwest. We are taking the kids in a few weeks, I am really looking forward to the distinct topography,flora and fauna.

Sue - so nice to see a beach that isnt lined with hotels and where there is still grass! So picturesque! Sigh...Now that our primary home has a large pond/mini lake, we are thinking of selling our lakehouse and getting a beachhouse. I don't know the area, though ... are you in New England by chance.

Color --- what a pretty yard. Youd never expect that in a new development. It looks like a farm!

• User
    11 years ago

Lynn- that sunset is incredible!

View out the side window and through the neighbors yard to the pond.

{{!gwi}}

Double rainbow at the middle school during my son's practice last night. Sort of hard to see but this was the first time I had ever seen one, maybe it's good luck for the upcoming tournament!

{{!gwi}}

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Mtn, yes, that's in RI. Just our little neighborhood beach, which we love because there is no parking, etc... so it's never really crowded. I don't have a photo, but from the other side of our house, we see the Newport bridge.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

It's hard to take a picture around the house because of the large Oaks, but here is a flower that was on my porch a couple of weeks ago. :)

• IRuehl
    11 years ago

I live in the city, but my back yard buts up the city's water plant, with ample 'forest in between. When I am in the back yard, feels like I live far away in the woods.

Looking up to my front porch

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AthomeinVA...beautiful! Such a lovely stretch of land and how exciting to capture a rainbow with your camera!

Oakley...awwww!!! That IS quite a lovely little flower you've got there. (She's absolutely adorable Oak...thanks for posting!)

IR, you've created a charming sitting area in the front of your house. It's an oasis in the midst of the city!

• IRuehl
    11 years ago

Thank you! the kids little blue chairs are my favorite thing about the porch.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Athomeinva, where are you???
    I am in Virginia, too, and I saw that rainbow. Perfect, glowing, and double for a few minutes.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Oakley, your grandbaby is absolutely adorable!! What a cute pic!
    Lynn

• colorblind1961
    11 years ago

stinky...thank you for the nice comments...lots and lots of land means lots and lots or work!!!

mtnrdredux...thank you...the development is actually 35 years old, with many different types of homes built in variuos decades...and, as most of the developments here in Chester County, PA, it used to be all farmland.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

lynninnewmexico - I love the colourful decks that you have put together. I can see having a margarita out there.

Unfortunately I don't know how to post (one day) but all I see is trees, trees and more trees.

• sis3
    11 years ago

This is our tropical courtyard. It offers a tranquil and shady place to sit on our hot Florida days.

The sunsets over the lake provide endless variation.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom, I asked AthomeinVA the same question this morning on the "Looking out your window" thread. She said, "I'm currently in a small town on the most southern out reaches of NoVA." I'm in Southeast VA & missed the rainbow!

BLF, yes, you've got to get posting, darling.

Sis3, wow, thanks for sharing more pics! That's amazing. Beautiful!!!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blfenton, maybe this will help?

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Stinky, are you anywhere near Danville or Martinsville? All of my family is from VA, my folks married and moved to OK., so my blood is definitely Virginian!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

lovely pictures everyone !! oakley, she's a real little doll !!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Oakley, your little flower is the prettiest bud in the garden! You are teaching her well too.

Most evenings we turn on the back porch fans and enjoy the views of the backyard. I don't do much work inside but do a lot of 'dirt therapy'.

This is to the left of the pond and patio.

Around the back corner.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakley, no. Danville is west of me in South central VA. I'm South, but as far east as you can go without jumping into the ocean (of course, lots of people here do go ahead & jump in the ocean!) The areas west of us with mountains are beautiful.

Funny, my father, who died when I was very little...I never knew him, had a sister, Janice, who married, moved, and lived her entire life in Oklahoma! I never met her. She's passed away now too. Anyway, small world!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See Oakley, your little flower is everyone's favorite!

Outsideplaying, I must have been typing while you were posting. What a pretty scene! Love your patio, perennials, and all those trees!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

A couple more. This is a shade bed I've been working on with a bottle tree for fun.

The view of one end of the garden. This end is perennials and herbs; the other is the veggies.

• natal
    11 years ago

Lynn, I love your front portal! I wish we could enjoy our screened porch May through September, but the humidity makes it so miserable.

Outsideplaying, you're only the second person I know around here who has a bottle tree. I finally got one this year. We lost our Japanese maple and instead of cutting it down we gave it new life. Not sure how long it'll stand, but for now we're enjoying it.

{{gwi:664640}}

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love all these views! The bottle trees are very cool!

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Natal, I've been waiting & waiting for pics of your beautiful yard. The bottle tree is cute, but please post some more pics!!! Hoping to see more of your plants, both flowers & veggies (With a cat pic thrown in too, maybe? You've got a new kitty exploring the territory, yes?)

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Great idea, Natal, for making the best of a lost JM! Bottle trees are supposed to bring good luck and ward off bad spirits. Good southern folklore.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I am in southwest Baltimore County, MD. I saw this double rainbow Thursday night. Taken from my front porch,facing due South. Same one? Only about an 45min.-hour drive from NVA.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Lovely pix, everyone...thanks for sharing!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Stinky, this is getting strange! In 5th grade I had a new teacher with a big southern drawl. I asked where she was from and she said Martinsville, VA. I went home and told my mom, and the teacher was at our house for dinner pronto!

Outside, I love your yard!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, Oakley. Come visit any time! I call it the 'farmette'...9 acres, about half in woods and the rest used to be pines we cut to build the house as it was old growth. We also raise pygmy goats. Always lots to do but DH is retired and he takes care of the 'farm' end and I do most of the gardening.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cooperbailey that's beautiful! I love your house, and that rainbow...whoo hoo!

Oakley that's funny. Thanks for sharing.

Outside, you have pygmy goats? OMG, how cute they must be! Any pics of them? (It does look & sound like you spend a lot time outside playing...& working!)

• User
    11 years ago

Cooperbailey- your pic is much better than mine, it is interesting that both rainbows could be seen over such a big area or maybe they were different ones, still odd.

Sis3 your view is so nice, I would love to look out to the water everyday!

Bronwynsmom- are you in NoVa? I was looking at your view in the other thread and it is so nice but I cannot imagine where it would be up here. Such a nice older town feel, maybe Leesburg (you don't have to answer that, too nosy of me!)?

• zoey75
    11 years ago

colorblind1961..Your home is beautiful! I hope you dont mind but you said you live in Chester County, PA. I currently live in NJ (Somerset county..very close to Hunderdon county) & we are looking into a move to PA. I know Chester County has a ton of towns, can you narrow down where you are or recommend a area? We have two kids 7 & 4 so schools are important to us. I love all the property you have. PA is a huge state & it is overwhelming to try to narrow down a area. Thanks so much!!!

• colorblind1961
    11 years ago

zoey...Thank you for the compliment. We live in a small town called West Grove, which neighbors the more well know Kennett Square and Chadds Ford. We moved here also from NJ for better schools, less taxes and more house for the money. Our school district, Avon Grove is listed as second best in our county...Chadds Ford/Unionville are listed as first. Four bedroom, 2 1/2 bath homes with 2 acres in my area average about $320K. Bucks County, PA is also very nice and has great schools, but home prices and taxes are higher.
    Tough to see, but I live right across the street from the Avon Grove Intermediate School and Penn London Elementary School...the main reason we bought this house. It's a wonderful school and a great neighborhood. We absolutely love it!

• zoey75
    11 years ago

colorblind1961 ... Thank you so much!! I appreciate your info so much,it is very, very helpful! Where I am in NJ the average 3-4 bedroom newer house (1990's) house is $450k (if you want brand new $600k & up)and the taxes are crazy over $10k a year for our small house. The schools are good but we would like a larger house with cheaper taxes. We currently have an acre but would love more property. THANKS AGAIN so very much for taking the time to answer me.

Where where you in NJ? How is PA compared to NJ?

PS-I am sorry for the interruption to this thread. There is no other way to contact someone on here privately.

• natal
    11 years ago

Zoey, there's an option for an email link on your member page. Looks like neither you or colorblind chose to utilize it.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zoey and Colorblind, please, chat away! Zoey, I used to live in PA (Bethlehem) & I know NJ is pricey! Your taxes ARE crazy! Many people worked in NJ & lived where I lived in PA. You CAN find what you're looking for in PA, Zoey! Much better value.

Colorblind, you are in such a pretty, tranquil area. I liked where I lived in PA too. Also, I used to have an Aunt who lived in Kennett Square. Beautiful. I always equate that neck of the woods with Andrew Wyeth. It's a very quiet, lovely place.

• zoey75
    11 years ago

natal...I appreciate the information but not your tone. I was unware of the option.

• natal
    11 years ago

Chat away, but be careful about sharing too much personal information.

• natal
    11 years ago

Zoey, I was just letting you know. There was nothing more to it. I would have emailed colorblind about too much personal info if she had the option.

• zoey75
    11 years ago

Natal..Thank you.

I have updated my profile to include the email option.

I wish this forum had alot more featues (private message etc) because I enjoy it very much!

• colorblind1961
    11 years ago

Zoey....I emailed you

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Hey, Colorblind, I live on the Main Line, closer to the city. Yes, you can get a lot of house for your money out your way. It kind of makes me sad to see the farmland turned into developments, although that is the way of the world. Your home is lovely. I used to work at a hospital in Chester County.

I am enjoying all these photos. Keep 'em coming.

• colorblind1961
    11 years ago

dedtired...love the Main Line as well...DH would like to live closer to Phila., where he has to make the long trek to work every day. The farmhouse (which belonged to all this farmland) and it's 91 year old proprietor live right across the street from me...he is a wonderful man who tells so many stories about how he used to go quail hunting down our street and had 300 head of dairy cows. I get the tour of his beautiful 8 room farmhouse every year when I bring him Christmas cookies...5 fireplaces, insane woodwork, tin ceilings and on and on. It's a gem!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

stinky- that is my next door neighbors house. :)

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Cooperbailey! I've seen your front porch, & thought maybe this was another side of your house. It's nice...I'm sure your neighborhood is lovely. And again, that is such a pretty rainbow!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Hi, S-G. I found a photo of our most recent twins, born last April. This is Lucy and Sally. When they are born, the pygmies look about the size of long-legged chihuahuas...very tiny. Most of ours are about 18" tall except for one of our original females that is a little larger. They are sweet and eat as much as the larger goats, but much easier to tend. We have 13 now. Sell many to folks in the area who like to keep them for eating pasture land and keeping fence growth under control.

• stinky-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, Goodness, Outsideplaying, I want one! Lucy & Sally are just too cute for words! They look so sweet. Thanks for sharing the pic. I just Love it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! Those are the cutest little goats. Hmmmm...wonder how the pups would like them? :)