Minimalist modern eye candy

Pipdog
9 years ago

I loved this home -- just had to share!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow zowie house

Comments (22)

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

Minimal but pretty warm and textural at the same time. Chock full of extremely expensive non-details.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love it :)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what a "non detail" is, but I do like this house very much.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Sweet! I love this house and the surrounding landscape.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I call it a "non-detail" because there is not an extra piece of trim anywhere including the recessed fixtures. Trim (supposedly) adds "detail" but the functional purpose of trim is to cover up imperfections. No trim means that visible imperfections are not allowed, and this lack of detail is thus very expensive.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

oh, okay, I get it. Although I'm not sure how it translates to the non-detail in my decidedly starter home!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Great location! A little too minimalist for me, hard to believe.

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

I'll just give my usual response....

Why exactly am I not living in CA?

(While I'm at it, how's "my room" coming in the new house Pip? Just let me know when it's finished and I'm on my way!)

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bee, construction should start in the next month, once I can get my indecisive head out of the clouds - I am suffering from a case of remodel block! Your room should be finished in Nov/Dec, when it's warm and sunny out here!

• sochi
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Loving the non-detail :)

Bathroom might be my favourite room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The house does a good job of getting out of its own way.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. I love the indoor outdoor connections.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Be still, my heart! Sigh.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Not sure why, but I never loved the stark naked look of the desert nor the bare minimalist home. It's beautiful for those who do, just not for me. I suppose my reason being, I can't hide "stuff,"

• rockybird
    9 years ago

i LOVE it.

Pipdog, what construction are you doing? An addition????

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I also love it a lot, I'm sure that in every day life there are more things here and there in the house but the bare canvas is very appealing.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

For all of you who love it and would love living there, are you talking about with your husband and a full-time housekeeper or sans the husband and just the full-time housekeeper? ;)

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I dont have any baseboard and it is not that bad, although I dont have kids. There is a way I believe to hide baseboard with drywall, but it has to be done before the drywall is installed. I bet there are imperfections to the drywall of this house, but it is not visible on pics. When I redo the floor, I will also be getting rid of the trim and frames around the doors. The less detail the better, as far as I am concerned! :)

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Love it!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

There are two ways to approach the minimal baseboard and one is to essentially have "none" or a groove that is recessed and about an inch high at the floor level and the other is to have recessed baseboard with a reveal: This gives you the durability of a wood baseboard with a flush appearance. It's a lot more work than being able to cover rough cut drywall and end cuts of flooring with a board and quarter round.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just can't get over that pool.

rocky, the original kitchen and 3 baths will be gutted and we're hoping to add a 4th bedroom/bath -- either by converting the garage and building a new garage or an addition on the side of the house, depending on what the city approves (persnickety city approval process). Long term we hope to overhaul the outdoor space by adding a pool, cabana and terracing the steep back yard -- probably 3-5 years as budget permits.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I am very jealous! I hope you keep posting so we can follow it all! I have the perfect spot for a master bath addition, which I would love to build. I just cant validate it as this house is already so large. Instead, I have decided to move forward on the landscaping.