Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

How many towels/sheets are really needed?

jakabedy
9 years ago

We've just moved and have MUCH less storage than we had before. Well, there's basement storage we didn't have before, but we don't have as much room in the main house, closets, etc. for things like linens and seldom/never used kitchen stuff. I'm going through linens to get rid of the scruffiest stuff, but then thought I might be doing it backwards -- how much do we really need? Maybe I should start from zero. It's just DH and me -- no kiddos at home. When we have guests, it will typically be two adults at a time, sometimes with a kiddo (under age 5).

We have a queen bed, and the spare bedroom has a queen. We've also added a daybed in my office that's a twin. Do we need one set of favorite sheets and a set of backup sheets for each bed? Or can I have just one set of back-up queen sheets to serve both beds? DH and I also have a set of flannel sheets for winter.

I was thinking just one set of twin sheets (daybed is new, so I have to buy everything for it, including the mattress), but then I thought it might be kiddos who use that bed mainly, so might I need a spare set there? And a good waterproof mattress cover?

As for towels, there are two full baths. The towels we have are discontinued in our color, but I could get some additional in a contrasting color and mix and match. Maybe a total of eight-each towels and washcloths, and four-each hand towels?

Comments (33)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think it depends on how often you change out linens and how often you launder them. For instance, I've read on GW of people who put out fresh towels every day, but only do laundry once a week. Obviously, they would need more towels than those who only put out fresh towels once per week and wash them once per week. I think you have the right idea to start from zero and figure out what you need based on your routines.

I always put a waterproof protector on all mattresses to protect them from accidents and dust, then I put a quilted cotton protector over that because I hate the way waterproof protectors feel.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd have two sets of sheets for each bed because sheets can get torn and mucked up and sheets have become SO expensive. I also wouldn't get a waterproof mattress cover because they are hot and uncomfortable. Instead, go to a fabric store and get a rectangular piece of that white flannel-coated plastic and just put it on top of the mattress pad where the child's torso (i.e.: most likely area to pee) will be, then put the bottom sheet over it. Inexpensive solution.

As for storage, look around your house and see if you can be creative about it. My house has NO storage space, and it drives me nuts. Do you have room under beds, for example, where you can push storage containers on wheels under there. Are there any alcoves in the house where you can add a door and shelves to create a closet (that is what I did, and it's been a godsend. Under bathroom cabinets? Any places you can put decorative baskets, say, but which have lids, in which to store stuff? To create more space for storing cloth items, roll them as tightly as possible, same with towels, instead of folding only. Fold them into the square, then roll them.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. I change all sheets once a week and launder the old ones while changing. They are stored at point of use. None of my mattress pads are waterproof except for the extra one I keep in my guest room for when my elderly mom visits.

Years ago I gave up on colored towels. All of my towels are white and interchangeable between rooms. Plus I can use bleach if needed.

I have way too many because my family is bad about not reusing. With only 2 adults..I wouldn't think you would need that many.

I think starting from zero and figuring it out sounds like a good plan. Plus you can justify getting all new stuff ;-)

• camlan
    9 years ago

I would say two sets of sheets for your bed. One set each for the guest room bed and the day bed. The guest room set can act as a back-up for your bed if necessary.

If necessary, you can put a queen fitted sheet on the twin bed for a night, or use the queen flat sheet as a bottom sheet.

It would be possible to cut back to two sets of queen sheets, rotating them through on your bed and just using the clean set on the guest room bed when needed, but I'd prefer three sets total.

Towels? How many do you go through, each, in a week? How often do you want to do laundry?

I'd say two complete sets per person--bath towel, hand towel and washcloth--for the bathroom you use most, i.e. take showers, do makeup and hair, etc. That would give you four sets of towels. Then two more for overnight guests. Then extra hand towels for the guest bath.

I live alone. Daily, I use two bath towels (one for me, one for my hair), and a hand towel. Those get washed weekly and put right back in the bathroom. I have extra hand towels and switch them out every other day.

I have another set of two bath towels, two hand towels and two wash cloths. These are for guests, or when I'm behind on laundry, or I need to use a towel under hand-washed clothing that needs to dry, or wrap up a cat for pill-taking.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I would say three for you and two sets each for the other bedrooms. I like lots of towels but do a linen laundry once a week.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I read it here or not but somewhere I read to store extra sheets between the mattress and box springs of the bed where they will be used.

I'd only have one twin set - you can use your flannel sheets in an emergency - they actually can be very comfy in hot weather. You not only have to worry about bed wetting but upset tummies, so I'd want all over mattress protection. You can buy 100% cotton waterproof covers now.

I'd like to have at least one extra set for my own bed, besides the flannel - in case of illness or other situations where no one may want to be doing laundry. Probably only one set for the guest bed, but that can also be an extra set for your bed if needed.

I don't like to be tied to doing laundry in order to have an immediate change of towels or sheets. Sometimes life just gets in the way and I may have time to change things out but not launder immediately (like in the case of back to back guests).

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I didn't know you could buy 100% cotton waterproof mattress covers! Cool.

And they don't make you hot?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

redlover, I just ordered one for my king sized bed that I share with my 4 year old grandson when he sleeps over. I've used medical type flannel/rubberized barriers when he was younger, but wanted something more comfy for him. I'll let you know how it is. This is the one I ordered, they have others.

edited to update on mattress pad:
    Reporting back from the "how many linens do we need" thread about the 100% cotton waterproof mattress pad I ordered. Well, it came today, it's wonderful quality, but the tag says 100% polyester! The packaging says 100% cotton, nothing about polyester anywhere. So I went back to BB&B online to read the ad again and I just didn't read carefully enough. It does say it is filled with polyester 80% and 20% rayon with polyurethane backing (as opposed to the tag which says none of those things, just polyester, 100% Ugh. Back it goes.

Here is a link that might be useful: waterproof cotton mattress cover-NOT

This post was edited by olychick on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 12:04

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think I might be a towel hoarder. :)

I have nice ones, only in white. As they get funky/dingy, they go to a lower shelf. I use them for lining cat carriers, kneelers when scrubbing the floor, drying sweaters. Having all those towels gives me a sense of security. LOL. No, seriously. I'm ready for a flood.

Growing up, our house was long and had huge plate glass windows on either side. Beautiful views. Every window leaked. When we got a really good rain, every towel in the house was pressed into service and lay rolled up along the sills.

If you decide to get rid of old towels, may I suggest you donate them to your vet or local animal shelter. They need them badly. Old blankets too.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I have the flannel on each side (with rubber/vinyl in middle)
    crib pads on all of our beds with a cotton mattress pad over them. IIRC two of the pads, side by side are big enough for a king bed. I think I got mine at Babies R Us. On the sheets I would want a spare for each bed; just experienced kids visiting and everyone getting sick in the night and lots of sheet changing. I like to be prepared!

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. We do wash once a week and don't use extra towels in between. I only have one set of sheets I like right now, so we've been washing them and putting them back on the bed.

We do have decent storage if I pare down. It's been a struggle with DH wanting to hold on to lots of old, worn out, mismatched towels. I've gotten past that hurdle and am thinking "if I could do it right from the beginning . . ."

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Linelle - don't feel bad - I am a linen lover apparently and have multiple towels, sheets, etc. I also keep old towels for use around the house.

Jakabedy - I have heard of people storing a folding set of sheets between the mattress and box springs.

I have a waterproof pad on all our mattresses also. You never know when someone might get sick, night sweats, whatever. Mine are the waterproof stuff underneath, and the top side is quilted cotton.

I would definitely have at least two sets for each bed and then the flannel ones for your bed. Not sure about towels.

tina

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

We have tons of towels because DH won't shower without a fresh towel. He will wash them, so I've gotten over it. It just depends how long you will re-use a towel before washing.

We do have two sets of bed sheets per bed.

Sorry to hear you had to sell your fabulous MCM home.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Gee, I'd like to see camlan wrap a cat.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I have one set of sheets for each bed. When they get washed/dried it takes only a couple hours WHEN NO ONE IS USING THE BED. I also have one set of towels for each bathroom. We don't sleep continuously here or shower several times a day. I used to have some spare bed sheets, but then I decided I liked the more expensive ones, so they are either on the bed or in the wash here. Why waste storage space? Besides I change my mind on colors every year or so. Why buy two sets when one will do? to each his own.

-Babka

• kswl2
    9 years ago

We have one set of summer sheets and one set of winter flannel sheets for each bed, they are taken off, washed, and put back on. If your bed and the guest bed are both queen size, three sets of sheets should be plenty. With respect to linens, quality over quantity is def the way to go.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Seems to me that one set per bed and one set of towels per week is really barebones. If you absolutely never have guests I suppose it is possible....but there are so many "what-ifs". What if a guest leaves late and another arrives before you have finished drying the sheets. What if a sick child has an accident and you don't have time to do a laundry. At least two sets per bed, and using the same towel all week.......hmmmmm.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Vedazu, since our laundry is done more often than once a week, we could probably "get by" with two bath towels per person. We do have a stock of nice percale pillowcases that fit all the pillows in the house as ours are changed almost every day. We have a fair number of guests but also a lot of family who turn up--- a son in college who is here for weeks at a time, an adult son and daughter who stay with us fairly often, and my mother, who is overnight once every few weeks. No "sheet accidents" here in years :-) but if and when we ever have visiting grandchildren I would rethink the linen supplies.

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone. My plan is to round out the towels so that we have 6-8 of everything. As for sheets, I'm going to get two nice new sets of queen ecru sheets, making three total -- they can all rotate. I'll get one set of twin sheets and see how that goes. All the remaining odd things and bad-purchase sheets will get donated/yard-saled post haste! (Including those odd little close-out curtain panels that I would buy from Tuesday Morning because I loved the fabric and would do "something" with them "someday" and have been carrying around for 15 years).

Now, back to finishing assembling the new storage cabinet in the laundry room (needed a home for the vacuum, the dog food, bottled water, DH's "house" tools, etc.), and finishing organizing/prettying-up DH's office (more baskets needed for all his computer and saxophone bits and bobs).

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

We also moved last year and have less linen storage than in our previous home.

I save the clear large zipper bags that comforters come in, and keep the extra sheets and blankets in these. I just shove them under the bed in the room they go on.

On a sad note, last month we had a close friend pass away, and had house guests come and stay for the funeral. We had all beds, plus 2 sofas in use for sleeping. I would keep some extra comforters and sheets if you already have them in deep storage for these infrequent but not impossible events.

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

I was the one who shared storing an extra set of sheets between the mattress and boxspring. I did this when the kids (4) were home. We had decent storage, but it was just easier to place them where they would be used.

Now I only have one set of sheets for each bed. We wash, dry and put them right back on. No storing, no folding. If the one wears out (which it can take years), I just go out and buy new. I'm trying to simplify my life as much as possible. I do have a few extra pillows cases in case someone is sick and for makeshift beds that need pillows.

The towel situation is kind of tricky. We've had way too many towels for each of the rooms with a ton for when visitor use them on our lake. Trying to simply even more, I think I will pair down to 1 set for both my DH & I, and one for the guest room. If we need more for some reason, I will tap into the beach supply of 5 or so towels. I'm going to do this as a trial and see how it works out. I know growing up in a humid environment this would never have worked, but in a very dry climate, towels dry quickly and never have any odors after a week when I'm doing laundry.

I find it funny that some think going a week with the same towel is gross when they likely don't have a problem wearing the same clothes for 16 hours at a stretch. It takes me approximately 1-2 minutes to dry, so in a week I've used the towel a max of 14 minutes - and I'm as clean as I can be when I'm using it. That beats the 16 hours many of us are in our clothes all day. If the thought of having to go a week with the same towel is gross, wouldn't an hour or so in the same clothes be gross - with the dry skin cells exfoliating and sweat that our bodies naturally give out throughout the day.

Jakebedy, I was surprised you moved away from that beautiful kitchen of yours! Your was always a favorite of mine. How is your new kitchen?

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Seems to me that the person that does the bulk of the laundry (in my house that is me) ends up reusing towels more often and having less personal dirty laundry.

The rest of the family thinks there is a magic laundry fairy.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I have so many lines and towels for our bedroom/bathroom. It's just us now, but have an overabundance for the other rooms, as well.

Anyway, I purchased a new set of towels about two years ago and have found that we like them so much, I am washing/drying and setting them back out before DH gets home from work at night. We have not used another towel set in at least 6 months.

Same for the sheets. After my parents died a couple of years ago, I took a set of cotton King sheets from their house. They were several years old, but in very good condition. DH and I love them, as they stay cool. Other than using Jersey sheets in the cooler weather, we have reused these sheets over and over again. that's after washing, of course. they come off the bed in the morning, go in the W/D, and then back on the bed that evening. :)

I have several sheets sets in my linen closet that I don't even like. I could easily get rid of them. I also like the idea of storing sheets between the mattress. What an idea for those with limited space. That's kind of like storing your trash can bags under the liners in the can. :)

• camlan
    9 years ago

Growing up with six siblings, my mom cut down on the towel laundry by buying each of us two towels. They were color coded--oldest brother had red, next had blue, as the girl in the family I had pink, etc. The kids' bathroom was not the most color-coordinated room in the house.

You used your towels and only your towels after a bath or shower. If you left them on the floor in a wet heap, you used them wet after your next shower. Woe betide you if you tried to use a sibling's towels and got caught.

Mom washed and dried all the towels once a week. If you wanted yours cleaner than that, you were free to wash your own towels whenever you wanted to, as long as you added in enough other dirty towels or clothes to make a full load.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

For linens, I follow the rule of one to be used, one for the wash and one spare. For towels, that would be 3 per person. Hand towels are per room except for the kids who each have their own color. We follow this same number per bed, although in your case, I think 2 per bed could be sufficient.

My biggest consideration is illness. If there is a stomach flu and I am unable to keep up with laundry, I want back ups for whenever life gets in the way of me making it to the washing machine.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, sounds like not only do I hoard towels but also sheets and duvet covers.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I broke down today and put out different towels from the linen closet, as I am washing the dirty towels. I decided to soak the dirty towels in vinegar for awhile to freshen them and they will not be ready for this evening. My DH will be so surprised to see white towels instead of gold. :)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

"My biggest consideration is illness. If there is a stomach flu and I am unable to keep up with laundry, I want back ups for whenever life gets in the way of me making it to the washing machine."

That is so true! I would never want to be without at least one extra set. And besides, I LIKE pretty sheets and changing them up. And quality is indeed important but you can have quality and quantity, although I'm not exactly hoarding sheets LOL!!

I do like towels changed out more often than weekly - especially in the hot months. Fortunately there are only the two of us so it's not a big deal.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I am also a towel hoarder. I have enough kitchen and bath towels to last me until I die. They still have the tags on them. Once in a while I break out a new one.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Olychick, thank you for the link to the waterproof cotton mattress pad! I have a waterproof liner that I purchased from Sleepy's several years ago when I bought my new mattress. It drives me crazy because it doesn't fit well and bunches up. I must be a direct descendent of the Princess and the Pea because just the tiniest wrinkle fells like a rock ledge to me.

I have six sheet sets mostly from trying to find that perfect set. I like a crisp feel and it is almost impossible to find. I will soon be buying linen sheets in hope that they will be crisp enough for me. I just gave my DD one of my sheet sets because she needed extra.

I suppose I have a mild case of towel hoarding. I have four sets for myself, two sets for DH, 4 towels for my pupsters. I have a monogramed set for each of my DGS for when they spend the night with us. We also have numerous older towels that we use for miscellaneous tasks.

• jakabedy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the inquiries about the move. Once we get this new house sorted out I'll post some pics. We went from the great MCM place in Alabama to a much smaller pueblo revival style in Santa Fe. It's a whole different kind of charm and we're still sorting out what works and what doesn't. But I have hardwoods and vigas and nichos to make me smile when I'm frustrated with furniture!!

I have to say that I have just recently bought my first new wooden furniture since 1996 (a bed for the guest room and nightstands for our room). We've always bought antique/vintage and/or made do with something we already had. I almost had a heart attack paying about $700 for two nightstands -- but it's really not that much in the whole scheme of things when it's good quality stuff that is bought FOR THE SPACE.

This post was edited by jakabedy on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 9:53

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Uhm, H&M has an online home sale going on right now --- I can never have enough duvet covers. And those towels.... with coordinating bath mats and shower curtains....
    I also have to say that I was surprised by the quality of their duvet covers.

Here is a link that might be useful: H&M home sale

• peegee
    9 years ago

What LucyStar said; "I am also a towel hoarder. I have enough kitchen and bath towels to last me until I die. They still have the tags on them. Once in a while I break out a new one."----ahhh, this applies totally to me!!

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs