Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Help me pick my front door

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Attached is front view of house, in photo ground floor is photoshopped (not done yet)

EDIT -----------------
WE NEED TO HAVE DOOR ...
for ground floor access to under house storage (like for yardwork, etc) and to get to back of house without walking length (house is 65 foot wide). See layout posted on follow up thread.Just looking to make it have look of a front door - it DOES have access to upstairs.
END EDIT -------------------------------------------

Ground level will NOT be occupied per flood zoning except far right which is garage with window to look more house like, less elevated home.

Red lines bottom photo show all traffic has always been - this is direction is to sibling homes and to beach. Yet we're deciding to add a front door bottom middle to balance house (yellow square). Point being this door will rarely if ever get used - it brings you to stairwell from garage up into the house.
We intend to have door with 2 narrow sides panels.
QUESTIONS....

1. Do you think if we go with full panel glass door with the glass sides that it will look like is a disproportional version of the two windows above which are identical to each other.?

2. Do yo think if we picked full panel glass but with decorative black line (like used for stained glass) design on it that the contrast to the simple, no panes window of other windows will be nice accent or mismatched styles?

3. Do you think its best to go with a non-glass door with only glass as side panels?

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 16:13

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You might go with a french porte...a lift garage door that looks like french doors....

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is link to doors Im too pick from:

http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/ss/index.aspx

Attached are some samples I 'designed'. Wondering if number 1 and number 7 would be good matches

I like 8 & 9 but think fear they are mismatch for rest of house and will draw too much attention to the door when we consider left porch to be the focal point.

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS, appreciate any help

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the french porte suggestion but I shouldve first posted that link our contractor provided for us to pick door.

This is practically a faux front door

EDIT----
    its more for access to underhouse storage and passage to back yard although is at interior stairs to 2nd level but its location makes us want it to look more like proper front door while matching house front)

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 17:39

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I would think another window to match the two above if you want the house balanced.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Seems like a waste of money to me. Why not put some plants there? 3 tall evergreen types in pots or tall flowering something. Or some trellis's with climbing vines or something to balance out all the blue rather than try to balance out the windows.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd just plant trees.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I agree with the landscape ideas. It will be confusing to visitors to have a fake front door and it isn't necessary.
    Diane

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would do a window or plantings as others have suggested. I think putting a door there would confuse guests who would think it is the main entrance to the house.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you but door is a must - too impractical not to have it.

The house is 65 foot long and this will be the only entry to front of house on the ground level to access both storage and back of the house.

TO CLARIFY, SAID DOING it as front door to balance house versus a discreet front ground entrance thats not as nice as a front door. I will clarify initial statement.

If someone did come to house unknown would rather they came to that door (where we could come down interior stairs) then have them just come up on our front deck. Family / guests otherwise will use front deck.

Sorry that wasnt clear
    Really would appreciate input on a door.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for #6 -- BUT with plain windows ....

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you teacats

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Based on your clarification, I'd put in a plain front door with clear-view side panels (I guess what teacats said). It needs to be a simple, clean design to coordinate with rest of house.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Agree, #6 with plain windows.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ck and marti - I will pass on the swirly side windows, so pretty guess I just needed to hear what I suspected - not a match for the rest of the house front..

#6 with plain full length side windows it is then.

I really do like the door's tall upper panel, seems consistent with house tall rectangular windows too. Got lot more work to do on the surround but feeling good with this door choice now, thanks again !!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Yeah, that looks good! Hope you will post a finished photo when you are all done.