Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I redecorate bathroom with green faux marble floor tiles?

Posted by KM2302 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 13:26

I'm no decorator and I need help! We finally got around to taking down the 90's wall paper off from our main bathroom but we are on a tight budget and can't replace the floor tiles (green faux marble) or the bathtub (dark tan) - we are trying to update the look with painting the wall and redecorating, but can't seem to come up with any sophisticated look.
We painted the vanity and mirror with bright white and thought we'll go with seaside theme but it's not going well. My husband thought the wall should be bluish green, but I don't know...it looks cheap to me. I was thinking blue-grey for the wall, but is that too weird with the floor being green?
Any help will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I redecorate bathroom with green faux marble floor ti

The wall color shown doesn't bother me as much as the shower curtain, which doesn't seem to go with anything. If you repaint, I'd choose something that's just a hair warmer and creamier than what you've got. Or you could try a light tan that's a few shades lighter than your tub, something close to the grout color.

I would hesitate to pick a "theme" for accessories and such, until you get the basics of the room down. .

o

Please could you post a much closer photo/shot of the tiles themselves -- and of the whole bathroom ....

Then we could see more of the shades and tones in the tiles -- on my monitor -- the wall color looks good BUT might be better in a darker or "deeper" toned version of blue-green ....

BUT another option might be to choose a dark beige-sand color -- to work with the bathtub and grout colors ...

Yes -- the two colors -- sand and sea would work with a seaside theme! :)

o

Here is the close-up of the floor tile - I don't think it's too ugly on their own, but I just can't find any decorating ideas using anything remotely like these tiles. I'll try and upload the other side of the bathroom

o

Here's the other side of the bathroom - it's a bit hard to get the whole bathroom in one shot, unfortunately :( We're still working on the medicine cabinet, so sorry for the big open "shelf" on the wall.

o

Here's the other side of the bathroom - it's a bit hard to get the whole bathroom in one shot, unfortunately :( We're still working on the medicine cabinet, so sorry for the big open "shelf" on the wall.

o

I agree that tan would be a nice color. Something that would tie in your vanity top, the grout lines, and the tub.

I agree about the showe curtain. I am a fan of a nice crisp white curtain!

Your vanity looks nice white!

o

I don't mind the color that's in there now, but a tan that matched the shower surround would work well.

Maybe you could get a sample of Covington Bosporus fabric and see if that tied things together. It might, or the colors could be off, you would have to see in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Covington Bosporus Flax

o

possible deeper richer blue .... for the walls

Perhaps switch to a plain white shower curtain?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Bella Blue 720

o
RE: 2 How can I redecorate bathroom with green faux marble floor

Possible sandy color ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Cocoa Sand 1122

o

I think since you have the green tile and the tan tub, you already have your color scheme.

I would paint the vanity a slightly deeper version of the tub color, and the wall a barely lighter version of it. I would choose a creamy white rather than a bright one for the trim. I'd paint the mirror frame black, and put two pairs of simple decorative iron brackets over the john to hold glass shelves. Alternatively, use bronze rather than black for both.

Palimpsest's idea of the Bosporus fabric is perfect with such a scheme. I'd make the shower curtain and a simple flat Roman shade out of it.

o

I would go for light and airy. I was going to say do it all out in fresh with white but see your counter is an ivory. So, soft creamy whites and ivories. The aqua bosporus might be pretty with that but you could still just do white fabrics, maybe a little of the aqua green of the floor in accent towels, a window treatment, or shower curtain trim so the floor color has some company. (I think the cabinet color is too white for the counter).

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:35

o

The Diamond Matelasse Shower Curtain from Restoration Hardware might be a nice choice, in one of the colors (Silver Sage?) if it matches your walls, or perhaps cream. It's elegant looking and high quality.

I wouldn't introduce pattern in the towels or accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: diamond matelasse shower curtain from RH

o

Try tan walls to match the grout - maybe lighter but to blend the tile and tub surround together.

Plain cream or a plain sage green (whatever matches the tiles) shower curtain.

Tan natural something (bamboo? cane?) accessories

And paint the vanity tan or cream. It looks glaring white to me.

o

Would you be up for re grouting in white?
Then hide the tub with a white shower curtain
And that takes the tan out of the picture.

o

I like the wall color. I would definitely do a white shower curtain!

o

Thank you so much for the ideas! I feel so much better now...I was feeling stuck.

Once again, thank you for all your help!

o

I don't mind the tile all that much but I find the tan grout to be distracting and doesn't really go with the tile color. Is there a chance you could change the grout so that it blends in more with the tile. The current wall color does not look bad with the tile but maybe a shade or too darker would provide more richness and contrast. I wouldn't worry to much about the tub color (especially if you usually keep the shower current pulled across it. You should definitely consider getting a new shower curtain.
If you keep the tan grout maybe a shower curtains like the one below (from Bed Bath and Beyond), would tie together the green, white and tan elements.

o

You can buy grout stain/colorant to change the color of the grout. I would get something that closely matches the color of the tiles.

o

I am thinking the "grout" is faux..the tile is not a stone. I think all would be fixed and lovely with a tan wall and shower curtain like badgergal found. The white vanity and wood trim are two hits of white. The tan wall and tan tub would be two hits of tan and a green in the shower curtain would tie the last element in. Paint and curtain are very inexpensive fixes, be happy. We had and avocado tub/shower surround with matching toilet. Not cheap to replace!!

o

Our porcelain hall bathroom floor is similar in color to yours. I thought I'd post a few pics since there aren't too many pictures out there with blue-green floor tiles. As you can see, we used a paint color very much like yours. No tan tub, but our vanity is stained wood so there's some brown in the scheme.

I think what's throwing me off in your picture is the shower curtain and the grout color. I don't think the tan grout works with the tile. I'd suggest either a white/ivory or a light gray.

o

If those faux tiles are vinyl, the "grout" is vinyl too.

I think a shower curtain like the one posted by badgergal above would help tremendously.

And--I just noticed that arcy already said almost the same thing!

o

Yes to working with what you have and embracing the green and tan color scheme. The "grout" color *will* look related if it looks deliberate.

o

I can clearly see from the close up picture of the tile that it is a ceramic tile with real grout.

o

Your tile may not be real marble but I think it's pretty. I would paint the grout, though, using an epoxy grout paint in a shade which will go with the other paint colors you choose - I bronwynsmom's suggestion, then match the grout paint to the lighter shade. It's pretty easy to paint grout, too. We did our kitchen floor and what worked for us was to use painters's tape along the edge of the tile, and going in one direction then go back and do the same thing in the other direction.

o

The tile is vinyl...she can't paint the "grout".

To me wall color reads a little too much on the blue side, it needs more of a yellow undertone to go with your tub & vanity top.

I think the clean white can work for trim and vanity, but only if you bring in more of the creamy/tan colors. I'd just stick with a fairly monochromatic theme-no prints because then you're really stuck with a 'theme'. You can bring in a print with wall art. I'd go more with texture than print, however.

In our main bath reno, we have the same tub configuration. We put in white/gray marble tiles with a light grout. The tiles have a touch of tan in them also. I went with a blue wall color-reminiscent of beach glass, and all white trim. We put up beadboard on the ceiling where there used to be a flurescent light tube box built in. I used brush silver accessories and bright white towels. For the shower curtain I chose a shimmery blue one from Ikea.

I don't have a 'theme' other than ahhhhh=it's just very calming to walk in there. I do have a stone Buddha and a couple of small shadow boxes of Asian coins.

In any case, I'd definitely get a different shower curtain-that one just does not work with your floor.

o

Honestly, on my monitor everything looks great except for the shower curtain, which should be bluish/greenish and some beige.

o

I think the color combo can work great...all you need is a pretty fabric to make a shower curtain out of that ties all the color together, and then look for some artwork that does the same.

This may not be your taste, but it is an example of a fabric that will work.

o

I think Annie's suggestion of fabric is great. The color is pretty, but the shower curtain is clashing. A beach theme doesnt have to be literal. A nice warm tan on the walls like SW Bittersweet Stem or Macadamia would camouflage the tub. You could do accessories like towel and soaps and bath beads in apothecary jars in a pretty sea glass color similar to your walls. I think that would feel very beachy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here