considering getting bunk beds, with the thought that I could
make the bottom bunk like a tent..

We found a set of bunk beds at a tag sale last summer for
$75. Right after we bought them, then she started sleeping
in her old bed...go figure. They wanted a purple room, so
last year we found the bedding, painted the room, etc, but
before setting them up we first decided to replace the
carpet, which meant I needed to try to refinish the stairs,
etc. So we finally set up the room last month.

I just love how it turned out, and they do too. I tried to make
choices that they wouldn't outgrow for awhile. I recently saw
that the Centsational Girl blogger redid her dd's room with
bunk beds and the same bedding, so I feel like I had good
taste! : )

My daughter can close her bed curtain at night to turn it into a tent.

I painted wooden spice racks from Ikea to make them night stand/shelves to hold their bedtime stuff. I was thinking about mounted to the wall swinging lights, but when I saw the led clip lights at ikea, that was the much cheaper and easier option! I also made them each a french memo board.

Since their dresser and closet were overflowing, I got a cube system and used pretty paper to make labels for the contents.

I loved the mirror on the Centsational Girl room, and I was thrilled to find this knockoff at Target for around $40.

I was really happy with this valance. I found a ruffled bed skirt at overstock (for a fraction of the pb price), bought a full size, and cut off the back since it would never show on the bunk bed. Instant valance. : )

I have been in love with the aqua kitchen cart from ikea, and I thought it would be a good toy storage system. The bookcase is backed with wrapping paper.

And a peek of their closet....they wear the same size, and I
am jealous of their fun wardrobe.

Thanks for letting me share!

Comments (32)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So pretty! Love the curtain idea and the little shelf with lamps. Oh, and the ruffles!

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Sweet, SWEET room!

• lala girl
    10 years ago

What a great room! So many cool ideas for making it pretty and super functional. Lucky girls :)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

What I would have given to have a bedroom like that as a child. The room is adorable and you've put so much thought and love in to it. There's no doubt you're a wonderful mother. Great job.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

So nice! The colors are soft and wonderful and I love the curtains on the bottom bunk- so cozy.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

What a fabulous job! I love how you thought everything out to the smallest detail. I may steal some ideas from you for my daughter's room!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Wow! So beautiful and fun, I love it! Great ideas for storage, and adore the "tent".

Thanks for sharing, very inspirational. :)

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Love it. You did a great job. :) It is very sweet and so well set up for them both.

What did you use for the labels holders for the cubes?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Such great ideas..the kitchen cart...wrapping paper for the back of the shelves..the spice rack shelves...all very clever. Makes me wish my girl was little again!

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody! They both love their room, and my younger dd especially loves coming home to something different....she's disappointed on days that I don't change something! lol

The main thing they don't have is a desk. Right now, they do their homework in the kitchen or on a clipboard. I don't think I can fit a desk that would fit 2 people in there, but I am considering getting a white lack side table from ikea, and they could sit on the floor and have a work surface. I thought about a wall mounted drop leaf table with stools under the window, but the table height would be too low and I don't think there's enough room. They are enjoying having lots of floorspace to play, which they didn't have much of before.

The tent part was super easy to do. I just mounted a cheap white curtain rod on the inside, and hemmed a pair of $10 ikea curtains to fit. I spent a lot of time considering other fabric, and I'm glad I went simple.

boopadaboo, target sells dry erase labels for cubes. I figured my dd would wipe that off, so I just taped some paper on the dry erase part. She likes to reorganize the baskets, so I'm extra glad that I labeled them! I did see martha stewart cubes at home depot last week that had a built in window to label them. I would have probably gotten those if I'd gone there first.

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

So creative. I know my granddaughters would be in heaven with that room. Its so neat looking with a place for everything. Wonderful job.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

That is adorable and so creative. I love the ruffled bedskirt!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

So cute! Your shelf for the top bunk is a good idea. Love all your storage ideas. My daughter is expecting her first child next week. The baby's room is about the same size. I am sure she will need more storage before you know it. I will show her you pictures. Love the bedding, the tent and the valance. You put a lot of thought into the room and it shows.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Noella...this discussion was in another thread, but don't sweat it if you don't get a desk. Most people in the other thread were in agreement....kids don't use desks in their rooms for homework. When they are elementary age, they like the kitchen or DR. As they move into middle school, it becomes a place to plop stuff for boys and a vanity for girls. They like to do homework on their beds or on the floor through HS..college too probably. I have two boys and a girl, now grown, and they each had a desk...don't think I ever saw them doing homework on them. Definitely a vanity for DD...first hair stuff, jewelry...later makeup.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Just a thought. I wouldn't worry about a desk. It is perfect the way it is. I, too thought my son needed a desk. It quickly became a catch all and after a year, we gave it away. I prefer that my kids do their homework at the kitchen table. That way I'm there to supervise and help if needed. Also, the kitchen table is the BEST place (IMO) for art projects, drawing, crayons, markers, ect. It is too easy for markers or other art supplies to get onto pretty bedding or carpet (ask me how I know), even if initially intended to be used on the desk. I keep a roling 3-basket cart in my laundry room that holds art supplies. It is easily rolled out into the kitchen when needed.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Very cute!

I am also redoing my daughter's room and Centsational Girl's room is my inspiration too! My daughter chose a bright turquoise paint color instead of a calming purple one though. :)

I also saw that Target mirror and tried to talk her into it for the same purpose! She chose this ornate black oval mirror that I have to repaint. Maybe she will change her mind.

My thread was the one about desks. I decided for the desk. I used mine all the time when I was younger and my daughter was using her antique vanity as a desk anyway. That was getting too small for her. I repurposed a desk from another room so she can always change her mind again.

But two of these desks would look cute and size appropriate in your daughters' room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bookcase Desk

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

So cute! My bedrooms are small too and I never felt there was enough room for my girls to play. I love how you used smaller pieces for storage to save space. And the spice racks are the perfect thing for bunk beds. Very clever.

• User
    10 years ago

Precious !! I love all the storage ideas. I have only the one grandson and he just turned 19 months. I am going to show these pics to my DIL for ideas when they get a new place and need to decorate. You did a wonderful job ! c

• loribee
    10 years ago

Very cute....love the ruffles!!

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! I know that our home is quite small by this forum's standards, so we were happy to figure out how to maximize the space and storage in this room.

Joanie, I had a desk in my room, but I don't remember using it all that much. Our kitchen island is where most of the homework action happens, but using clipboards has been really helpful (and cheap) for us, as my younger dd gets pretty resistant to homework, and I tend to chase her down and at least she gets to pick where we do it.

Geokid, that's a great idea about a bookcase desk. It gets tricky for us, in part because every year we are not sure if we're going to move or not. We go back and forth about getting a bigger home where the girls will have their own rooms, so I don't want to do anything too far thinking yet. Another more likely scenario is that we might have to move as my dh works in a tenuous industry. So I will tuck that idea in my possibilities for the future. I can't wait to see your room! I got our bedding last fall, and I was so surprised to see it in the centsational girl reveal....I am really happy with the pb bedding, if you're also getting it. But I got cheap sheets at target that coordinate nicely.

• tarhlfan
    10 years ago

What a precious girls' room!! I know they love it :)

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

How thoughtful and fun! I think you did a great job and I know they must love it.

Beth P.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Wow! Great use of the space. I wish I had thought of something like that when my guys were little. Very lucky girls!

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful room and very ingenious storage and decorating ideas! Love the bedskirt / valance idea and all the other special touches!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Great room! I wish my room looked like that growing up. I really like all your ideas for storage. I have that same blue ikea piece. It is still in the box after a yr. I think I will take your idea and use it to store toys-LOL but it will be parrot toys.

I wouldnt add a desk either. I think it might end up accumulating clutter.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What an adorable room, and you did a fantastic job with it! Girls love 'tents' and places to hide away too. Yours is so special, and love all the storage you have created.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

That looks awesome! What a great job - it's so pretty!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the girl's bedroom! Oh how I wanted a purple bedroom growing up but my mom would not let me have this so as an adult for over 10 years, I had a purple bedroom. I would have loved a bedroom with the fun color choices you used growing up! I am so happy that your daughter loves her fun very pretty and unique bedroom!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Absolutely wonderful room, noellabelle! You did a great job.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 16:29

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I love what you did to the room , it really looks great

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I love everything! The tent idea was such a special touch for your youngest DD. I'll bet she's enjoying it. Painting the spice racks for the girls was brilliant! How practical, and cute at the same time! Great idea to cut down a too big bedskirt and get a matching valance in the process. I like the way your mind works!
    Lynn

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Adorable!