Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ski2die

Exterior Shutter Positions

TyBarr
9 years ago

So we are getting close to finishing our new home and need to decide where to put shutters on the exterior windows (e.g., they won't really close, but are just for decoration). We will probably stain them the same color as the door. The original plan shows them on all the windows, but we feel like it is too much. We are, however, having a tough time deciding what would look good for some with and some without. In other words, what do you think would look good as far as windows that should have shutters and windows that shouldn't.

See the attached picture of the house.

Maybe on all windows surrounded by stucco? Maybe the stucco windows, plus the two on the far right side? I would love your opinions to consider.

Comments (28)

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what the original plan called for

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Do you need any of them?

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not necessarily, AnnieDeighnaugh. Do you think it looks better without any? I feel like shutters, when done right, can really add to the look and feel.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I would do them all, as the plan calls for. I definitely donâÂÂt think it looks right to do none.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

If it were my house I would probably put them on every window except the one under the porch.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

With all the peaks and gables and exterior finishes on your home already, less can be more. Remember too that it looks bare right now without the landscaping. Once you add plants and such, it will look even better.

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Charlotte General Contractors Grainda Builders, Inc.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

My house has lots of peaks and valleys, mahogany door with side lights, leaded glass and an inset area from walkway as well as quoins and I have one set of shutters which, if I am facing your house, is to the left on that one set of windows. It is the only one that shutters feel right on.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

We recently put shutters on the windows that have the brick surround. We left them off the stucco. I am trying to work on a thread about them, now. But will probably not post pictures until tomorrow.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I would follow the plan. I like the way it looks. I definitely think the stucco windows need something - really plain looking. The stone windows probably could go either way, but I think it would look a little odd for half the windows to be shuttered and the other half not.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I would do shutters on windows only where you have enough room for them to look operational, regardless of if you plan to operate them. I'm not a fan of small shutters on double windows.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Oh, dear. It did not post properly. Never mind.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 18:25

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I need to clarify that we have contrasting trim around our windows where the stucco is applied, while you have the trim the same color as your stucco. Because of that, it does appear that you need something on those windows, so I vote all. However, you could probably get away without having to shutter the double window under the porch, or the one on the lower level of the right wing. As someone else mentioned, your landscaping will take the eye away from the window in certain areas. ;)

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

No shutters! Just no. Unless you need them to close for storms and such, of course.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I can't tell from the photo what trim there is around the windows. If it was beefed up and painted out...or maybe just painted, you might feel differently about needing shutters at all.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think the house has "too much" for shutters. Sometimes less is more.

Anything else and the design gets lost with all the stuff here, there, over there and up here and everywhere.

• bpath
    9 years ago

As Annie says, when you have landscaping in, and if you beef up the trim, even the stucco-surround windows won't really need shutters.

If you do go with shutters on any or all, may I suggest a single shutter on the left side of the little window up there? Not a half-size, as though the other fell off, but one the width of the window.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I decided to do some real estate looking at houses like yours in our area which are located in gated neighborhoods. In fact, one quite famous TV star lives there, and there are no shutters on her house nor any of the others which architecture is similar.

As Annie mentioned about beefing up trim in order to make more prominent what is there, had been done to a couple of those houses. I think I would do that and not add shutters.

Remember Coco Chanel saying remove one piece before you leave the house, meaning embrace the simplicity of less is more. I think she would remove the shutters from your design.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Another vote for no shutters. I would trim out the stucco windows in the same brown color used around the roof.

• coco4444
    9 years ago

+1 for naked windows! I'm in the camp that esthetically/architechturally, shutters should at least look operational if not be so. Hardly any of your window styles fit that mandate.
    House looks beautiful as is! Lucky you!

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! There is definitely a split between the all or none crowds. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

For clarification, since several of you asked, the stucco windows do have beefed-up trim on the top and bottom of the windows, although they are not a different color, as seen in the photo.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I like it as the plan calls for.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I like shutters as per plan. I think it looks unfinished without them. Will they be hinged? That looks soooo much better than just stuck to the facade.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I vote for the shutters also. Looks unfinished without.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Did you post this on building a home forum? There are architects there who will be Able to lend a different perspective.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think you lose the country manor feel of the house without the shutters, an austere look. It also looks unfinished. I'd stick to the plan as it was designed.

Maybe consider a simpler style than shown if you feel it is too much.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What Annie said.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Another thing the stained shutters would do for the house is balance the darks. The roof color is quite strong.

The house itself should be able to stand perfectly fine on its own without the support of landscaping, which takes a very long time to mature and can die off at any point.