Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Disadvantages sofa backed up to a window?

kam76
9 years ago

The only real wall in our living room is one with a 9 foot window 2 feet off the ground. I think the best furniture placement would be to have the sofa back to this window but I am wondering if there are reasons why I shouldn't do this that I am not thinking of. If I can't put it against the window I will need to go with more of a love seat style couch and it will be off center from my fireplace. I will try to take a picture when I am out there today.

TIA!

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I had the sofa in front of the window at our old house and I liked it. I put a mirror on the wall opposite so we got some of the light and the view when sitting on the sofa, but a lot of the time, I was laying on it or reading and appreciated the natural light from the window.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I have my sofa in front of a north window....mainly because of the doorways, fireplace, TV and other windows. The only negative reason I can think of would be that the sun/light might fade your sofa. Mine is quite old and I keep a throw over the back of it which would help with the fading.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

That is where mine is. I agree that the only negative is that the back will fade. This would only be a problem if you move and the back has be be seen.

I too like to stretch out and read with the natural light.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I have had many sofas in front of windows. I agree fading has been my biggest issue. Live in AZ so we put sunscreens on just the windows behind the couch. They allow us an unobstructed view out. Looking in is only from the backyard so we don't care about that.

Also any concerns about how it will look from the outside looking in? If you have the room to do so, I love the look of a sofa pulled away from the window with a narrow console table behind it. Then you can add a reading lamp. Stack some books or decorative elements. Good place to set down a glass if no end table handy or you're sitting in the middle.

Also by pulling the sofa out a bit -with or without a console table- less interference with drapes if that's a concern.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

As others mentioned - fading can be a problem.

If your window has drapes that you open and close you need to leave space for them.

Depending on the window hardware in relation to the sofa, it may be slightly more awkward to open and close windows reaching across the sofa.

It is lovely to sit on the sofa, enjoying the sunshine, a cup of tea or coffee and a good book.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Another issue would be if your television is on the opposite wall, you will have quite a bit of glare from the window requiring some sort of window treatment to block the glare.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I always like to be able to look out a window rather than have my back to it, but Annied's solution of a mirror to reflect the light and view is a great one.

Is it possible to float your sofa and not have it against a wall? Pictures will help.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I will tell you an advantage-- it is (IMO) very trying to decorate the a large expanse of a wall behind the sofa. Windows are instant, living art. I agree that pulling the sofa away from the window is helpful, esp. with window treatments (that way nothing presses against them at all- not the sofa, not humans, not other animals).

One downside in my last house was privacy. Blinds down = too dark for the day. Up = everyone could see in. They'd even report back as to what they saw . . .

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

"They'd even report back what they saw" ?????? CREEPY

plantation shutters. As much light as we need during the day but total privacy at night.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

PhoneLady, yeah!!! More than once! It was people we knew, but still. We bought expensive wood blinds as soon as we moved in, but a yr later I took them down as I just hated the look in that room. It had a large picture window so it was just too much wood. Very heavy. Shutters would be the same.

Our new (but old) house has limited windows in the LR. Very hard to see in. On one hand, the darkness is a pain, but there is so much privacy.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Anele........I hear ya! We moved from CT to AZ. Wildly different architecture. We loved all the openness of the windows on the back of the house facing the backyard and the pool. So what did we do?? DUH we bought wood blinds and covered every window. Down the road we realized that due to the block walls, we could not see a blessed thing in any of the neighbors' yards/houses .....and they surely couldn't see us either.

So we took down all the blinds except ones in bedroom where we needed them to block light. Expensive mistake but that's life. Sitting here now just relishing the unobstructed view of the swaying palms. Life is good!!

Shutters are on windows on the front of the house facing our courtyard so that works well and they are very pretty. But I can see how that would not have worked for you.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

One thought would be the view from outside.

My old house had high windows that came this low and I had couch against it. The outside of this window faced a yard that was never used.

My new build will also have same high / low windows. The window will have couch up against inside and also outside as this is seating for front deck.Intend to try to pull sofa off wall inside but like you, may not work and have to leave it at window.

• sundance510
    9 years ago

My biggest problem with it would be psychological. I really wouldn't like to have my back to the window, especially at night. But..... I'm odd. I've had several factors that have made an impact on me. My father was a police officer and now my husband is too. Neither of them will sit with their backs to windows or doors, in public or at home. Also, because of DH's schedule, I am home alone a lot at night and his job doesn't exactly make friends. I also have had experiences with the "unexplainable" over the years that will always stay with me. So basically, I'm weird like that and would probably never be comfortable with my couch in front of the window.

Also, my curtains would be a pain to open and close. I feel like I need to add something to make me sound more logical!!!!

• dretutz
    9 years ago

Sundance, I am with you. Raised in family of law enforcement officers, I cannot sit with my back to a door or a window. Plus, I love looking outside: all my downstairs windows have great views of birds and plants. I guess I am not much of a daytime reader--save that fun for when I can't be outside or watching the sky and trees from my windows. Back to a large window would give me the shpilkes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks dretutz! I learned a new yiddish word today! Shpilkes! perfect!

• dretutz
    9 years ago

You're welcome, AnnieDeighnaugh. I never know when one of those words will slip out. I grew up in a big Irish immigrant family in a neighborhood of Jews from the schtetls of Eastern Europe. My early language acquisition included Yiddish and Spanglish. My colleagues often tease me for the strange expressions--especially under stress.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County