Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

What would you do with this space?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

The space I'm talking about is the area where the desk is currently (behind sectional, next to window). We will not be putting a dining table there, so not sure what to do here. I kind of like having a desk there especially since we don't have one in our kitchen. It's also convenient. Once we remodel the kitchen this will change.

We have ordered a console table for behind the sectional facing the front door area. That is a three shelf wood table.

If it were your space, what would you do with it? Or, if you like the desk area, how would you change it up?

Comments (34)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Third view

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Simplest idea first --

Get some tall bookcases for the wall where you have the desk now and create a library.

Put the smaller bookcase that is on the left of the desk next to the window by the breakfast room table and move that chair and table in front of the windows in the other room or backing to the stairs.

Play with desk relocation options.

If you don't need the desk at all, swap it out for a game table and chairs, club chairs and a coffee table or some combination of those ideas. If you do bookcases with cabinets on the bottom, you could have storage for games, crafts, scrapbooking, etc. -- even a printer and the table could serve as desk space when more than one person needs to be working, doing homework etc.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have these bookcases downstairs in the basement. They are not as tall as the artwork on the wall, but I could put some things on them. Also, I could just do the two tall ones and put a chair next to them. If I did all three it would cover up a floor return.

• sameboat
    9 years ago

Bookcases against the wall with books and some decorative items, desk facing living room. It wigs me out to have my back to a big open room.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Love your home! :)

An excellent idea to simply add bookcases around the space .... adding even more of a library look and feel to the room! :) And the artwork above the desk is really pretty! :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think it looks nice how you are using it. If you don't add more bookcases, I might just put the two you have together to make a bigger case. I'd also think about adding an area rug to define the space to add some color and perhaps move your rocker into that area.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think putting bookcases on the back wall is a great idea. I also like the idea of putting the desk in front of the bookcases facing the front hall. It is really a nice feeling to see your living room or look out your window.
    I don't know how much wall space there is on your stair wall, but you could put shelving there with your desk facing the front hall.

• User
    9 years ago

I wouldn't add bookcases to that area. Instead, I would pull the desk out from the wall almost in a line with the first pane of glass in the bank of windows, and I would face the desk towards the room, not the wall. Then see what artwork you have and place that on the walls behind the desk. Whatever those two things are on either side of the desk, I would leave on that wall, but put the taller one in the corner opposite the window and the shorter one next to it. I would add at least one very tall indoor potted plant---a tree.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would kattykorner the desk and get rid of the two cabinets on either side. Maybe put a short book case under the art. I would love to work next to that window :)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Am I seeing things correctly? Do you have two staircases in your room area?

For the space in question, how about a nice game table and small sitting/reading area?

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

My kind of room. VERY nice and homey. I'm with the bookcase idea. Maybe add two leather club chairs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Seems like you've found a function for the space, so go for it... mail station/desk/library/study. Adding a bookcase is ok, but better to add usable furniture like a credenza for file storage, a place to hide equipment if you have a printer and such, a desk lamp so you can see what you're doing, wastebasket with maybe a shredder, etc.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Bookshelves and a reading chair, or the desk at an angle. Lovely house!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd put down an area rug similar to the one in your conversation area. Then I'd add the book cases on the back wall with books and interesting items. I'd then put a nice sized round table on the rug with wood and leather chairs. You can use the table as a desk but also to sit and chat with friends on holidays and visits. The art work could go on the wall opposite the window. It would be inviting to all and double as your office.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last view. Maybe the shorter bookcase would look better with one of the tall ones. Not sure what's off here.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd have that area made into a closet/rustic storage area, to go with your GORGEOUS FP/living room, with room to hang coats since it's just inside the front door.
    Something along these lines:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And I'd put some kind of a bench under the window on which to sit to put on boots/shoes, etc. Make it kind of an open mudroom sort of thing.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like it, especially if you would be using that desk area. Are you sure it's a return in the floor?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, not sure it's a return. Just a large vent - unknown purpose right now.

Another option is to put this hutch there. It is taller (about 10" more) and about as wide as 1 1/2 of the bookcases. It would bring the brown over to that side of the room also. would it look weird?

• nhb22
    9 years ago

This is a very sloppy Photoshop of the hutch in that space. Although I love the hutch, I think that the bookcases and darker color look better. I love the desk at an angle!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks NewHomeBuilder! That is awesome! I don't like the hutch either.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I like the desk at an angle too. There's something about it that seems so cozy.

I see you have a big honkin' rock fireplace like I do. lol. Don't you just love it on a cold winter's day?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is with the 3 bookcases. I have an old big chair (leather on the sides and upholstery on the seat & ottoman) that belonged to my husbands grandma that I could put at an angle next to the bookcases and remove the desk.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of bookcases

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I like the two bookcases also. Wouldn't put a third....Could you bring your desk out a little more....like 8 to 10 inches....looks a little scrunched for getting into the desk chair. Lovely to look out the window when your are working at your desk.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

What a beautiful space! I didn't see a printer so this may be a non issue for you. I'd still definitely face the desk out but not put it at an angle. I'd put a low table or credenza (for files/supplies) under the original artwork for my printer and some pretty desk accessories. And go from there. If you don't need a printer there or a place for supplies.........never mind! You are fortunate the space lends itself to many treatments.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like the three bookcases. After seeing more pics, I too would like to see the desk moved forward a foot or so. I think the angle works well in your room, although it would be interesting to see it perpendicular to the window (better view out window).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I thought that was a nook. in the first pics, it looks tucked back from the bottom of the stairs. So forget the closet iea.

I'd get a HUGE rustic wall unit of cabinets, doors and drawers.

• springroz
    9 years ago

I like the hutch. Put a tall plant next to it!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - where did you see this wall unit?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

christy, here is the site. I just found it in images as an example of what I kind of see on that wall to compliment your amazing living area and FP.

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic wall cabs

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 18:27

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You can do something like this (see link) Get the base and buy two of the tall matching cabs to go on top of it. You'd want to figure out how to attach them so they're secure!

Check out the others styles as well. Some nice stuff there, no doubt overpriced since it's RH. But, they're having a 20% off sale NOW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Create rustic wall unit

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 19:01