Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Question re tipping

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

There's a thread on the Kitchens forum this morning about tipping delivery people. We are having a new sectional delivered. It's very large and will have to be carried up a flight of stairs. They'll also have to move the existing couch into the hall (to be picked up by Salvation Army). Do you tip in that situation? If so, how much is appropriate? (We've been hit-or-miss so far ---- we did tip our movers, did not tip the contractors' guys or the appliance or cabinet delivery guys, don't remember whether we tipped the RH delivery people who delivered our table and gigantic mirror).

Comments (6)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, you should tip delivery people who bring in heavy stuff (esp. since these companies pay them garbage in the first place).

I think it's $20 per person, esp. if stairs are involved.

You can Google it and get a consensus.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I just contributed to that thread--interesting!

I admittedly tip too much, not that that's a bad thing. But it's from having such low expectations of what standard service should be anymore. If a delivery guy smiles and says good morning, and then delivers the item unbroken, I get giddy about what great service was provided, when, in fact, it's what should have been expected. My expectations have been beat down over the years, and I'm easily impressed by a hint of politeness and undamaged goods.

I guess the argument for furniture delivery could be whether you paid for the service. If you paid for the service, and they deliver it, what, exactly, warrants a tip? Again, though, if the delivery person was polite and the furniture wasn't damaged, I'd be thrilled to pieces and give him a $20. A sectional up a flight of stairs may warrant $30.

The Salvation Army pickup? Yes, I would tip.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

In general, I don't tip delivery people, but when they do something extra like move an existing piece of furniture, I'll give them $10 - $15 per person and say something like, "Thanks and have lunch on me."

Recently, I had a glass table top delivered and all they had to do was bring the top in and set it on the table. They kept futzing around with it and I could tell they were trying to elicit a tip. I gave them a nice smile and a thank you...no cash.

Nobody gives me a tip for showing up to do my job, so I don't feel obligated to tip others for doing theirs. However, when they provide a valuable extra service like one of my mail carriers and the parcel delivery people who leave my packages by my front door which requires them to climb a flight of stairs, I'll leave them a gift card two or three times per year to say thanks.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I tend to tip delivery people, movers, etc.. since I suppose they are not paid much, so I feel the extra $ help them out.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I'd tip them if I could. I'd probably tip them $10 per person in my area.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Oops. I had no idea! I just had a large box delivered full of patio furniture. It was up some steps. Sorry delivery people!!