Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traveljunkie_gw

Any pictures of Living room/library

traveljunkie
15 years ago

I have an empty living room and I want to have a library/sitting area instead of a formal room that we never use. I just can't seem to find a picture of what I want to achieve. I want to do four fabric chairs (no leather) that are comfy for curling up with a good book. DH says no flower/paisly prints. The room connects to a semi-formal dining room and is right off the entry way. I would describe the rest of my house as transitional design. Any pictures of this idea would help tremendously. Thanks! I am trying to post pictures (not sure if it'll work)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/travel711/living%20room/IMG_1213.jpg http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/travel711/living%20room/IMG_1216.jpg http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/travel711/living%20room/IMG_1215.jpg http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/travel711/living%20room/IMG_1214.jpg (I had an armoire next to the pictures)

Comments (26)

• postum
    15 years ago

Almost got it - go back to photobucket and copy the tag for URL. Looking forward to seeing your pics! I believe I have enough books in my living room to qualify it as a library - not something that anyone will want to copy but I'll take a pic tonight and try to get it posted.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I think I do finally have it! I wish you could edit posts on this site then I wouldn't have made such a mess! Sorry the pictures are so dark, I need a new camera on top of a new living room! It may be too small of a space.

{{!gwi}}

There was an armoire in this blank spot

• alex9179
    15 years ago

Do you like something like the picture in the link below?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Just sort of randomly off the top of my head - why four regular chairs?
    Are there going to be 4 people using at a time, because it looks like the town library or because it fills the space with an even number?
    If its about reading comfort - I would want an ottoman or a chaise lounge or one of those big one and half chairs with an ottoman - so if its not about 4 people at a time you could have 3 larger pieces (or regular size) with one or 2 ottomans.
    I also prefer to put a drink or snack to the side on an end table vs. leaning over to a coffee table although that's ok too. Lighting on an end table is nice though and you can do so much mood with lamps and lamp shades.
    Men seem to like plaids? A mix of plaids and solids?
    And book shelves - lots of books shelves.

• jpatcucc
    15 years ago

My living room isn't anything like yours, but here are a couple of pics of my LR bookshelves.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the picture and making comments. I like that room picture but it's too formal for me. I might be going in the wrong direction with my thoughts since I don't want it to look too cluttered right when you enter the house. I have a picture that I've saved forever from a show home with the idea. The next picture I found on this forum I think. What do you think?

I am not opposed to another layout -- 1 1/2 chair or something else but we used to have a sofa and chair and the room was rarely used. I have 3 girls who love to read so I was thinking a little different than the usual. I was also thinking of doing a round coffee table in either wood or tufted leather/fabric that you could put your feet up on? Plus maybe an end table or two? Don't really want more ottomans since I have 4 others around the house that rarely get used.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted right when you did jpatcucc. I really like your bookcases and your room. I only have one wall I can put a bookcase on (the one where the armoire was). The ceilings are 12' so it would be awkward.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Oh.. I love the idea of a library in an unused living room. I turned the formal dining room in my last house into a library and I really miss it.

What I really like about the design you are thinking about is that it is so very cozy and intimate... it looks like a great little conversation area. A wonderful spot for tea or coffee in the afternoon and game of scrabble in the evening. Best yet, I can imagine great conversations and giggles with your girls. For those reasons alone, I like it and would move forward with it.

However, I imagine something a little less social as a reading space... but that is for the image I have in my head for a library space.

Again, I really think your designs are cozy and will probably support many more activities than just reading. For a family with kids, I would definitely continue in the direction you are thinking.. as long as you can fit 4 COMFY chairs in a circle in your space. Comfort will definitely be key.

Can't wait to see how it evolves..

• chat2taz
    15 years ago

Trvljunkie,

This would have sounded strange to me if I had not seen this on the new Denise Richards show. She has this same idea, four chairs with a table in the middle. I LOVE it and it looks so intimate for good conversations and book reading. Her new reality show is called "It's Complicated." Maybe you could tune it in and get some more ideas?

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Hi Traveljunkie,
    This would easily be my favorite room in my house, if I just HAD a room to use as a library. I've put a link here to ratemyspace.hgtv. If you do a search on that site for Library you will come up with over 100 examples of what people have done. Might give you some ideas.

If I could create this room, my primary goal would be comfort. I would want a super comfortable chair with a table beside it for a cup of tea, and a lamp. Then I would want 10x as many shelves as I think I need because I am a bookaholic. I think it would be a great idea to put two really comfy, upholstered chairs, one on each side of a mid-size antique drop leaf table, in front of the window. Put a lamp in the middle of the table, or a floor lamp by one chair. For me, reading is about being cozy and comfy, so a chair in the middle of the room wouldn't really work for me. An ottoman in front of at least one of the chairs would be really nice just in case you fall asleep while reading! The drop leaf table would be nice to use for a game of chess or backgammon, or even a comfy spot for dinner for 2-4 people.
    Just a few ideas. Lovely idea.
    Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: RMS HGTV

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

I like your idea. A friend had that arrangement in his living room, just four big cushy chairs and a table. But where is the lighting? A library needs good lamps to read by. Looks like it would be fine in the daytime, with all your lovely large windows.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I think it's a great idea. I have a similar LR and I have saved this picture (from somewhere in BHG) and always wanted this layout for sometime in the future.

• User
    15 years ago

Our library was a billiards room when we bought our house, all dark paneling and colours but with a 14ft ceiling. We built in bookshelves, painted the walls BM golden straw and the woodwork BM linen (I think) and are very pleased with the results. I had two club chairs and an ottoman which we use like you are proposing to use four, which I think is a wonderful configuration. We had an 8ft. sofa and two Martha Washington chairs for the room, too, so it has more seating options.

If I were going to do the four chairs grouped around an ottoman, I would definitely get swivel chairs.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

The following pics are of my living/library room..it also has pocket doors to read quietly !

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

here's another angle

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I have a pic that I printed out from this forum with a similar layout, but I don't have a scanner or any way to post it. I think the owner of that room was something like ZuZus Petals??? Does anyone remember this as well? Her room was more cottagey. I think the center table was white and the chairs might have been a red plaid...? And there was a fireplace with builtins, I think. Loved that room! I like the room mlraff posted above because it looks very comfortable, not stiff at all. Traveljunkie, the two pics you show seem less comfortable to me.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thank you for all the responses. I was away from my computer today and was so pleasantly surprised at all the information to look at! I can't wait to have time to puruse the websites that were mentioned. I hope there's a room with tall ceilings so I can get an idea of how to do bookcases. The first thing I need to do is find the 'right' chairs then figure out what else will fit. I have felt like the three bears looking at chairs--this ones too soft, this ones too stiff, too leather, too paisley, too expensive, too something! Thanks again. If I ever get this room done I'll be sure to post pictures.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw a picture on Rate My Space that had a cool library ladder on built-in bookcases. If we have room to build bookcases (and I can talk my husband into it) on the wall where the armoire was, would you line the top of the shelves with the top of the window? Something else look better? Would this look wierd being by itself on that wall?

• User
    15 years ago

sorry to hijack but.. slinky - what's your wall color? very pretty room!!

very pretty roomS!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Thank you sheesharee...It's BM Coral Bronze #1298.
    It's even more richer in person than what you see... I never tire of it, and I've gotten many compliments on it.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

The May cover of Southern Living has this exact seating arrangement with a lovely ottoman in the center. It doesn't have the library part you want but it's very pretty.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Southern Living information. I like that look with the ottoman. I found some chairs I like with tufted cushions --both back and seat cushions--(a LOT different than I originally wanted) but with the space/traffic pattern issues, they may work since they are 35" wide & deep and have straight sides. They have passed the comfort test from my family. I am having a dilemma with colors since I brought home 1 camel color and 1 dark chocolate color. I really like both colors. Any opinions on mixing different colors?

I also saw and liked a round all leather, dark brown ottoman and also a square one that has a tufted leather top, dark wood with storage drawers and two pull out drink/snack trays. Would the tufted one be too much tufting and too much square-ness?

I'd appreciate any input. I feel like I've lost my mind with this project...I used to think shopping for furniture was fun :) Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: similar to a chair I bought

• awm03
    15 years ago

I love to read and have always used our formal living rooms as reading rooms. Thought you might like the lighting set up in my current LR/library. Please excuse the mess. We're beginning a remodel soon, and I have catalogs & home magazines galore, plus the room is in flux.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sconces on book cases for reading

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like your room, it looks very cozy and inviting. The lights look nice in your room.