Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Picture Window Help..Pictures Attached

Posted by zoey75 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 12:57

I have a large picture window (and a smaller window) in my living room & have no idea what to do with it? (we have a 50's ranch)

I currently have vertical blinds with sheers but want to update. I would like something that offers privacy but lots of light too. I also love the moulding & dont want to cover too much of it up.

Here is a picture when my husband painted & finished the moulding ... please help!!

Thank you!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Picture Window Help..Pictures Attached

Separate white wood venetian blinds on each.

o

I agree - wood blinds. Get real wood, it's lighter in weight than the faux wood.

o

Thank you..I am most concerned about how the blinds would look since the middle section is 6ft. Do you think that is would be ok? I would love some pictures to better help understand any ideas..

o

I would get duettes to cover the window...they draw up very flat so can be hidden under a valance during the day and drawn down at night.

Then use dummy panels on the side and a valance over top...either a fabric one or a wooden cornice board.

The brackets would have to be moved up so the valances just skim the window tops, leaving more light and making them look taller.

o

Wood blinds or duetted would look great. No hanging fabric curtains or sheers. Depending upon your decor, matchstick or bamboo shades would be great. All of these suggestions should be installed within the confines of the molding.

o

Thank you all. The brackets are for the current winodw treatment & will be removed for any new treatment.

I have brilliance pleated shades in all my bedroom windows & love them.

I was thinking Silhouettes like this

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hunter+douglas+silhouette&view=detail&id=8A0182BF35371A06006752B030D6C09A143C3079&first=31

Or maybe a wood blind like this?

http://www.bing.com/images/searchq=hunter+douglas+wood+blinds&view=detail&id=A1EEEE2FA48A8F945AEB5CF2BB92451B918325F5&first=121

Do either of these ideas seem workable? I also would love a resource recommendation to make theae options more affordable.

Thanks so much for all your help!

o

Link from above. 2nd link doesn't work on my machine....

Silhouettes

wood blind

o

Sorry..try this one for the wood blinds.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hunter+douglas+wood+blinds&view=detail&id=649F1FA0C25CFC253777888DC0DE7F5ED555C310&first=0

o

Here is one more..

http://www.durashutter.net/product/images/hunter-douglas-Everwoods-pic.jpg

o

o

Thanks so much...

I am between the wood & the Silhouettes. Inside mount for either. Opinions greatly appreciated!!!

o

It may just be me, but wood blinds were very popular when I was growing up and I got sick of cleaning them and restringing them or getting new tapes...they were a total PITA. So when we moved into the old house, though the house came with custom made wood blinds for all the windows, the first thing I did was take them down and stash them in the basement. So I have a real aversion to those things.

I had the duettes up for over 20 years in the old house and really liked them...easy to care for and they only needed restringing when the cat decided to use the cords as dental floss!

But that's me and my experience.

o

Thanks...Would anyone be able to photoshop white wood blinds for me. Thanks in advance!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here