Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Design tips for introverts/extroverts

nosoccermom
9 years ago

First glance looks like it's pretty accurate in my case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design tips for introverts/extroverts

Comments (26)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I am definitely an introvert and I think it's spot on

• camlan
    9 years ago

Interesting.

I'm definitely an introvert. I never thought about that being part of the reason I dislike open concept houses so much, but it does make sense.

And it also probably explains a bit why I want my whole house to be full of cozy reading nooks.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Another introvert here.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Introvert here.

When we redid our home we added more windows and they only have window coverings because DH wanted something on them but they are minimal. I have my own little reading quiet nook and definitely no open concept here. The designer suggested it and it was a very quick no. Very interesting.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm also an introvert, albeit not an extreme one. I like people and am fairly outgoing, but I need a quiet time and space to recharge my batteries. I like open concept, but with cozy areas. I overthink everything. :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Can I be half and half? I like my quiet time but other times I get bored and want some people around me. My home is a mixture of both...have some reading, relaxing areas and some open areas in the main part of the living/dining/kitchen areas.

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

grandmaof3, yes you can be half and half -- you would be called an ambivert. Even if that particular term didn't exist, introversion & extroversion are basically on opposite ends of a sliding scale. You can easily fall in the middle - many people do. :-)

• suero
    9 years ago

"Creating a plan for each room before you get down to buying and decorating."

That describes me to a T.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Introvert! I'm a bit confused by his "unobstructed" window comment, however. I do not want to feel trapped, but I must have window coverings that would allow me to shut out the outside world when needed.

• mdln
    9 years ago

This is great! Am sending to my builder.

Also an introvert, explains why I am having difficulty accepting my new open concept LR/DR - required to being the stairs in my 1920's house up to code.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Interesting article. I'm an introvert also. Perhaps all us introverts are here behind our keyboards...the extroverts are all too busy partying!

I did create a home that was cozy with reading nooks. Where we have more open space, it's still in human scale and manageable.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Errant - I wondered about that as well but I think its' the feeling crowded bit and needing the feeling of a larger personal space. But then why don't I like open-concept? And that's because the homes that have open-concept are very noisy and don't allow (usually) the existent of comfort corners.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Introvert here, too. I am quite sociable, but to recharge, I need to be left alone.
    At first I thought there was a mistake because I need lots of windows, ideally without treatment. Also, the main reason I never use my living room is because it is just too exposed and not closed off enough. Beds need to be in a corner, hate sitting with my back to a door, and need a window to look outside while working. But, hey, I'm claustrophobic, too.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Annie, I was thinking the same thing about all the introverts here. Maybe it's because we stress and fret about all the details so we come to GW to seek opinions, advice and some virtual handholding.

The extroverts are too busy to really give a sh!t. :)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Interesting article. I definitely lean toward the introvert end of the spectrum. I never tied that characteristic into my dislike of open concept houses before reading the article.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plus, the extroverts don't see the details. Half of the threads on the kitchen forum are about problems with workmanship, seams, cracks, etc., which most extroverts probably aren't even aware of.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Definitely an Extrovert here. But, I do notice many small details and my kitchen, that I had a huge part in designing, is packed with lots of very practical and wonderful details for staying organized . . . so Nosoccermon, not all Extroverts are like that (LOL!). Or perhaps my compulsive tendencies to organize everything keeps me from totally fitting into the true extrovert criteria (LOL).
    I do agree with many of the room characteristics, though. But totally disagree that "Trait: You often feel bored or lonely when you're alone." Like my sweet mother, who is also an extrovert, I am never bored or lonely when by myself. I also dislike background noise, but don't mind interruptions . . . as long as they're interesting ones!
    Fun article!
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Too funny! I went to see a comedian (Chonda Pierce) last night at a large church and was so happy to have the end seat with only the aisle and far away wall on my left. It felt free and non confining but now I realize why I liked that seat so much! Because I am an introvert of introverts. Not shy or insecure, just needing large amounts of alone time and space( I know I am an introvert, Infj -mbti).
    And I do notice every detail.....and have nooks of two chairs set up in several places of the house and yard.

• peegee
    9 years ago

LOL another introvert here!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I'm an extrovert and pretty detail oriented. But I do agree with the love for open concept, wanting to live somewhere bustling, and always wanting to be around others. It's a rare moment when I lock myself away to work - I'd much rather have other people hanging around for all but the most cerebral activities. I'd rather have my office in the middle of the home (on the dining room table) than away in a quiet corner.

I work in a disgustingly soul-crushing grey cubicle land and my cubicle faces onto a busy hallway. Whenever people come visit me they get super distracted and annoyed by the bustle, but I don't even notice all the weird loud conversations going on right in front of me. I actually prefer the activity. When I get deep into coding I just pop headphones in.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Another introvert here, and the article describes me to a T. Thanks for sharing!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The best description of introvert vs extrovert I found is how we recharge our brains or where we get our energy from. Introverts can be outgoing and social, but when they are exhausted, they need to be alone while extroverts need to surround themselves with others.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Bumblebeez, the best seat in the house --- church, cinema, classroom, you-name-it --- is on the aisle for a quick getaway :-)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I must be schizophrenic. I am some of all of the above.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Introvert here. Starting to see a pattern. Nosoccermom hit the nail on the head.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

the best seat in the house --- church, cinema, classroom, you-name-it --- is on the aisle for a quick getaway

This is the absolute truth. Don't even get me started about sitting in the backseat of a two-door car with windows that don't roll all the way down.

Last week I went to a chamber concert in one of the musicians' homes. Utterly gorgeous music. But the chairs were folding wood torture props. I had the luck/misfortune to be sitting in the main room in the front row. By the second half, I was dying. I needed to stand up and move around. But I was stuck where I was. There was no way I could have gotten up without knocking over a cello or creating a major disruption.

Next time I will have an escape route.