Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Frustrated with this nook!

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I posted awhile ago about my foyer/stairway nook and majority like the tall planter verses a table but I still am not loving the look. I feel like it needs something different but I just can't figure out what! I would love suggestions and ideas! I am wondering about maybe a chair or a column with a planter like you see at RH. I will post some pics!

Comments (106)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.avantgardendecor.com/store/plant-stands/scbps1030-b

This with a pretty pot and nice fern (even if the fern does not require watering).

• plumberry
    9 years ago

I think it looks best with nothing in the space. the stair/handrail detail and the decorative items on the wall behind the stairs are enough. Otherwise it looks too busy or overdone to me. Whatever you like will be good for you -you've done a great job so far.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I would go minimalist too, and either leave it empty or use something small. Just because you have a space doesn't mean you have to fill it up.

To me, anything along the back wall looks crammed; I like the idea of a corner table, umbrella stand or coat rack - something that makes sense near the door.

With all your "how about this" photos, I can't help but think that you have a LOT of stuff!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I think the original thing you had there was fine, perhaps the plant was just a wee bit too short to be proportional. The problem was the color. It didn't jump out. If the stand and flower pot was white it would show up better.

the big vase thing is a very contemporary look, which doesn't jiive with your home.

I have that sort of stair-nook problem myself. I have a tall hat stand there. It doesn't look right, but nothing in my house looks right, and everyone in the family hangs their hat on it now when they get home, so it may not look right, but it sure is functional. No more "Wherrrres my haaaaaaaaaaat! I caaaaaaannt fiiiiiind my haaaaaaaaaaaat!" There's something to be said for that.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

I'm guessing the builder intended a small lamp table there, hence the outlet. It is a small enough space that you could leave it empty, but I sense the outlet is demanding you place something there. Perhaps paint that to match the wall.

You might also place a narrow quilt stand there and drape a small quilt over it. That would soften the space and add color without fuss. Depending on your decorating style, there are quilt patterns that are formal, casual, seasonal, etc.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I like the little chest you tried there, with a lamp with a colored shade and a small tray. The front of the chest made you feel like there's something beyond, instead of a dead-end corner.

The round table with the glass top is also nice, with a trio of objects including a lamp. Just something that lets the eye flow around the space.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Of all the things you've tried, I like today's 10:02 post the best. It seems the right height, weight and color. I'd add a lush fern that doesn't go any higher than the bottom trim of the stairs and hangs over the edges at least a little bit to hide the glass (or look for a piece of marble or granite to replace the glass, or just take off the glass and put the fern on the pedestal).

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Seems like you want to go the live plant route but don't know what to place it on. My practical side says what a PITA to vacuum that will be! I would find a woodworker to add a deep floating shelf there that coordinated well with the stairs instead of anything I had to drag out regularly.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I think you have a lot of legginess/openess with the stair rail. To me, it needs to be a round solid shape--maybe have a hi-end fabric table cover made for the table in post 10:05, then put something like a great pottery bowl for keys
    (if it's not too low) or try a plant or lamp. Just don't go higher than the top of the newel post.

• just_imagine
    9 years ago

Agree with olychick about the fern. With all the hard angles in this corner, a soft flowing Boston fern would be a lovely contrast. Sit it in a simple wrought iron plant stand, with a small up light on the floor behind the fern for accent lighting in the evening.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about a large plant?

{{!gwi}}

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

IMO, it isn't the table per se, it's the shape of the table. I have the same exact niche, maybe a little larger, and have used a round table, which works perfect in the small space, The top is about even with the stairs. A table w/o the corners competing with the squareness of the space, is a good fit. I used a 2 1/2 ' tall vintage birdcage on the table giving even more height~silk plants inside. The table top is about even with the stairs. I think a round pedestal would also work if you don't have a round table, since I feel it's the shape that's giving you the problem.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty_cakes - would you mind sharing a picture? I would love to see it!

• voila
    9 years ago

Sending you a link with peacock décor. It would be nice to use some color and may repeat the peacock theme of your pretty picture. As usual for design toscano, some items are too-too but some are kind of neat. The peacock lamp with the blue feather design is nice, but the naked lady ruins it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: design toscano

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Unless you find something you really love that is really special and wonderful for just that spot, leave it bare. Instead, I'd rather see a runner up the stairs and make the stairs more important. Just paint or cover the outlet to match the wall. When and if you come across the right thing, you'll know it. Some things you just can't push...you have to let them happen.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the glass topped table you posted at 10:05 is perfect. Don't go with a bigger top. If anything, it should be smaller, or lose the top altogether and stick a fern on top :)

• voila
    9 years ago

Also agree with a plant being appropriate for your nook. The design of your home is a very nice open view, so blocking the design with anything too tall impedes that openness. Concur with lizbeth on round shape. Having had a fern in the house, I find them too messy. A peace lily placed in a large round planter (oriental fish bowl would be perfect) would be nice with a light activated night light in the outlet. Just buy a large lush plant and replace if needed. Again, look in consignment shops for large oriental fish bowl.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I too would feel compelled to put something in the nook.

I like your latest "how about this" glass topped table the best...and I like that you can shop in your house for ideas!! I wouldn't paint the base of the table black - too dark. I would put a fern or something. Even if you didn't go with that exact table, I like the proportions and shape a lot.

I also liked suero's red photoshopped vase, and I think I like them both because they are shapely and rounded with some heaviness to the bottom. The round thing is really working for me in that nook. The mirror also has rounded edges and the bottom of the staircase is rounded, so it carries through.

I'd like to see the glass console table first before final decisions, though.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

It's almost too small for a built in bench. Leaving it clean,open and naked is not a bad thing! But, if you are hell bent on decorating this space, why not just decorate the wall space? I floor clock? Or a wall of pictures using All the same frames?
    If you decide on a coat tree a pretty tall painted umbrella stand could compliment it.
    Again, sometimes less it more.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Having a really hard time, especially without benefit of seeing the missing console table and mirror on the right side of the foyer in context. I'm afraid those 2 items will add so much weight to that area it will be even harder to finalize something now. I agree something may be needed on the wall in the niche. Can you cut out some paper shapes (a couple of rectangles or maybe a circle and a rectangle) and tape them to the wall? It just looks bare there to me. The stairs and railing are beautiful on their own.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I also like the glass table. How about putting an orchid on it and maybe a nice picture or mirror on the wall next to it?

• User
    9 years ago

I would add a grandfather clock on the high wall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about three plant stands of different heights with plants on them, maybe stone statuary plant stands?

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

Lori,

After you posted the picture of the built in bench, I read no further. That is exactly the idea I was going to suggest when I first saw your original post pics! I think that would be perfect so please excuse if it has been determined that it can't be done. Like I said, I didn't read any further after I saw the picture!

• lv_r_golden
    9 years ago

You have a lovely house/ space. We have an area that is similar to yours with some differences. We have a very tight turn on the stairs and ended up with this narrow space that may be about the same size as yours. We both have iron railing. In yours you can see what is behind, up on the wall, the room behind (breakfast slider?), and kitchen.

We have a bare wall that is curved but does have real venetian plaster that goes part way up and there are windows up above that are stair step in size opposite to going up the stairs so hanging things on the stairway wall was never going work. We have travertine floors with wood treads, you have more wood.

Yes, this is an "artificial" (Costco years ago) palm that is in a basket that sits in an iron stand, just don't have a better picture but you can get the idea. I happened to have it from the house before we built this one. I am not a big fan of fakes but sometimes they work.....I tried a lot of things for this space and to me, this was the best.

I liked the beige/tan pedestal table you tried - It is nice....partially because it is a different, non-shiny texture....when I saw it the picture, I thought really, really large fern......I think the tall shiny urns or the slim plants are either too much of a repeat of the nice shine on your floors or a the general shape of the spindles...

I think a plant on the floor tall enough to soften the view of what is beyond the stair landing and in a basket (medium or dark) to add texture would be worth a try. It seems some texture would be a good addition.

I know most suggestions are for something round but I would try a square if you can find it, or at least seriously beefy for the space, (I vote for a basket) something beefy might unify the space as there is a lot going on in the overall view...then a big lacy plant. And if fake, I think it is good to have a type that you might have live in your area.......we are in greater San Diego.....palms are everywhere. Good luck...!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

some other options this one fits in the corner.
    Hall Entryway Corner Hat Bench Storage Rack

Hall Stand Hallway Console Accent Table Entryway Foyer Entry Furniture Table
    small table option can hold a lamp and a plant on bottom shelf

Coat Rack With Umbrella Stand Hat Tree

Hallway Storage Bench With Coat Rack & Basket
    provides a seat and storage

A similar situation addressed on Houzz
    [Inside entryway[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/inside-entryway-suggestions-dsvw-vd~736722)

Pressley Floor Lamp with Oak Finish End Table
    In my entry I have a lamp-table combo with a magazine area in the bottom. I have an antique copper container on the table we toss our keys in and that comes in really handy. I have a large fern in the bottom rather than magazines.

Floor Lamps With Table Attached

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Hi again lori. You asked me "Sassafras- thank you for your suggestions. If it was your space would you use a corner cabinet, a smaller cabinet then I have pictured, tall vase ( red won't work in my space so not sure about color) or maybe a simple round table?"

If it really were my space, I would add coat/purse/key hooks for my guests to hang stuff on, and a small bench to set stuff on (my guests arrive with bags of fun). No vase, it's not a place for vase for flowers or sticks display.

If a cabinet is what you want I would put a corner one there, and put a small lamp and maybe a short plant and a little knick knack or plate. DONE!

I like this shenanigan but would put a black one in that space sized to fit. And decorated as already mentioned. Nothing substantial at all.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Too bad it's June and not December. That's a great place for a narrow Christmas tree. Especially with the plug.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Lori, I like your last option of the glass table. I would then add a lamp. I love lamp light and the look of a warm lamp when you enter a house.

Gorgeous home!

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for all your help,ideas and compliments! Everyone has been so helpful and supportive. I also liked the small glass/pedestal table I posted yesterday. We use that pedestal for a end table in the living room. So, I would either need to purchase another or find a pedestal that works as well. The one pictured here was in the basement so I brought it up and stuck a fern in it. I would love a uplight behind it but I am not sure how to hide the light. Maybe just a night light in the outlet as suggested? Also, does this look out of date? I can't decide.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Your last picture fills the space the best and looks great. But I love lights in little nooks and hate to see an opportunity for a light go unused given that you have that outlet.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

lorishopaholic - just wanted to say, I like the concept of shopping in your house. It's fun! It's like when designers breeze in with a truck full of stuff to try.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would make the outlet blend in better and do a coat rack or storage built ins. Form follows function to me and those items would look like they were meant for an entryway and thus be lovely as well as useful there.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

The last picture looks nice and fills the space - the scale also looks correct.
    As for lighting it - maybe there is a small plug-in type rotating spot fixuture that you could use. I would avoid any cords.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. Seems perfectly scaled. I wouldn't think a houseplant would look any more "dated" than an artificial arrangement. It adds some color and life to the spot but lets that beautiful stairway be the star.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. I don't think it's dated but rather goes with the style of your house.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I think it looks very nice and the scale is good. You can always change it when you choose to.
    I would get a different plate cover for the outlet, either a decorative one or one that can be painted to match.
    As to an uplight with out cords you can look at some of the battery powered ones. You would need to turn it on and off if you wanted to conserve the battery.
    I have this exact one which puts out a nice amount of light, I use it in our RV. It could easily sit hidden behind your pedestal.There are other options on this site.
    Single Head LED Battery Operated Uplight

• bpath
    9 years ago

That looks just right! Don't you love shopping in the basement?

• ttodd
    9 years ago

It looks good! That base fills the area better than what was originally there. Good job!!!

• magnell11
    9 years ago

I think it is better if you put a table and make some statement table or you can also put small book shelf and lamp. It is very classy to have a bookshelf in the stairway. A coat rack will be also good for that space.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Yes to the fern :)

• oopsie913
    9 years ago

WHEW!!! I thought I'd never get to the bottom of these posts!! there must be about 6,349 at least! lol
    OK, I LIKE THE RED VASE ALONE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT IN THE CORNER, OR PLEASE TRY A VERY SMALL CHEST OR CORNER TABLE WITH A SMALL LAMP. LAMPS BRING SO MUCH WARMTH INTO AN AREA AND WILL EVEN HIGHLIGHT THE PRETTY STAIRS ABOVE IT. YES, I AM YELLING A SPECK SINCE THERE ARE SO MANY POSTS ABOVE THIS ONE....good luck very pretty house of what I can view. or, I can also agree that the area can just stand alone, but most of the ideas seemed to look like you were just scrunching something there unless it might look better to table or chest on left side wall :) And if you decide to hang a pic, hang low. IMHO

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I like your latest addition. I don't think it really makes a statement, but it fills the space just fine and adds a bit of visual interest. I'm another one who is partial to lamplight, and I'd probably find a way to utilize that plug to best advantage with a little lamp on a small, round table. I would probably consider painting the plug's wall plate the same color as the surrounding wall to help it blend in a bit more. I also don't care for the ginormous vases. They just seem a bit ... well, Dr. Seuss-ish to me somehow.
    ;-)

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think it just needs to be taller, fuller. If you do put something in the corner like an art piece on the wall and small table under it should go on the biggest wall, not the shorter wall IMO. A chair in the small space might look like a place for someone in "time out" in the corner. Your home is beautiful.

This post was edited by gr8day on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 8:46

• Anne
    8 years ago

Can you fit in a small chair and a table? I know it is doubtful that anyone would sit there but I could see it being library like.

• erinsean
    8 years ago

I like the pedestal with the glass top and the fern....You pictured the fern and pedestal and the pedestal with glass top. Put them together..pedestal, glass top and fern and that is my favorite. Later on, you may want to paint the pedestal but I really like it like it is.

• positively_patty
    8 years ago

I like the last picture with the fern, but the outlet really stands out. Can you paint it?

• User
    8 years ago

I think it looks best with nothing. The glass topped tsble was all wrong proportionally and the newest pedestal is also too "clunky" for the space. If you dont plan to use the outlet and dont like the look of it and your motivation for decor in this area is to hide it, why not get an electricisn to remove the outlet and have the drywall repaired and painted?

• Gracie
    8 years ago

Old thread, but I'm with you on the clunky pedestal, kswl. I remember this thread and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the original plant stand.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I'm not sure why this old thread was revived. I suspect Lori has her solution already.