Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color to stain doors?

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:46

Our front hall runs north-south about 9', then turns and runs about 30'. It's 6' wide throughout. The condo is an "industrial loft" meaning it has concrete columns, ceilings and some walls, some exposed conduit/outlets and some finished with sheetrock. The sheetrocked walls in the hall, and so far in the great room (that might change - I'd like to inject some color in the great room, and there are only two painted walls, the rest is concrete and huge windows, and the kitchen) are Benjamin Moore China White and Berkshire Beige.

The front door is very tall and wide, and is birch wood and stained a kind of greige with a blue undertone.

In the hall, there are 5 doors -- 2 for the coat closet, one for the bathroom, 1 laundry room (slatted) and 1 pantry. There's also a similar door off the great room, so 6 doors total in addition to the front door.

The question is -- my DH likes the doors unstained, but I think they look, well, unfinished. Would you suggest painting them white, staining them a natural color, or staining them to match the front door?

(I'll have the same question with respect to 4 doors in the master bedroom, but the color situation is different, so I'll do a different thread for that one).

I'll try to post pictures later, but getting the front door color to show correctly will be tough!

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color to stain doors?

The only thing I wouldn't do is stain them to match the front door as that would limit your decor options. In fact, if you decide to paint all of the doors, you could paint the inside of the front door, too.

You don't mention the floor material. If your floors are wood, you might consider staining the interior doors a similar color.

If you like the color of the doors, as is, you could always clear coat them to maintain the natural color, but give them a matte or satin finish.

Your decision really has to be based on your overall decor direction and the finish that would be cohesive with that direction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here