Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Are these too small for this wall?

three3apples
9 years ago

I'd put the larger painting above the smaller one I think. The colors work well in this room, but I wonder about the scale. Thanks!

Comments (28)

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH holding them up. Too small?

• chispa
    9 years ago

It looks fine, but I think it would look better if you can find a third piece to make it more of a grouping.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, good idea. These are children's artwork, by the way (top is mine from middle school and bottom is my great aunt's from when she was 4). I have a great little pen and ink in complementing colors that our daughter just made that I can have framed.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think they are very nice and would look good there, and like the idea of the third. But I would want to consider if you are planning anything on the adjacent wall? If so, a grouping next to the draperies might seem like too much going on right there.

Beautiful draperies and wall color! With that red chair...yum!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Agree with a 3rd piece. And play around with the arrangement. Try the larger piece on the bottom or stagger the smallest 2 somehow.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love that top one! Looks like Beacon Hill, Boston.

I think they're too small and will get lost next to those very busy curtains. I think they should stand out more.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Third piece would be nice but if you use just two, then put the smaller one on top. Lighter frame would look better painted like the darker one IMHO. Pictures look good with your drapes.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boston likely inspired me. I also have loved brick row houses for a long time!

I don't really have anywhere else to put these except the adjacent wall, but you'd only notice them if you're coming into the room from the outside. Also, that wall is wider so the pictures would look even smaller.

I have nothing for the wall opposite this one, which has an identically-sized window and curtains. Do I need something for walls that mirror each other?

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I think I'd only have the two but I'd like to see them both in the type of frame.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

in the same type of frame you mean?

i literally just had these framed. the small floral is in a gorgeous gilt almost Victorian style frame and the architectural oil is in a brown painted frame.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also have this small watercolor, should I group it with the other two?

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

Nice artwork, and I think the colors are great with what you have. I would put the larger on bottom as well.

• justsaying
    9 years ago

Wow, you and your aunt were sure artistic - I think I was still sucking on my pacifier and dribbling when I was 4!

I think they would look better on the adjacent wall (to the right of where your husband is standing) because you already have enough going on with the drapes so I wouldn't add more pattern to that wall, IMO. Sconces or some kind of metal decoration would be nice next to the drapes if you think it needs something there. I would also put the larger picture on the bottom if going with the 2 pics but if going with 3 pics I would put the larger one in the middle, and as someone else suggested, darken the lighter frame. Just my 2cents and this is coming from some one who has a lot of holes in her wall trying to get it right!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Are you looking for a place for them because you love them (you obviously do - and should!), or because you feel a need to fill that space?

I think that wall is too small for anything - especially with the busy (but beautiful) curtains. Which was do the curtains open? I think they'd look better with the third piece on the adjacent wall.

These are delicate pieces, best viewed from close up - not from across the room. I would try to find a place in a hallway or bathroom, where one would naturally be closer to them.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm trying to hang them because I like them, not because I think that wall can't be bare. I think the colors work well in that room. I'll look at the adjacent wall.

My art can't even touch what our son is making--he's the tale Ted one in our family!

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

I'm a great fan of putting art in unexpected spaces (like this tiny oil painting by my daughter). I think your paintings will look lovely next to the window in that space. I also have an odd alcove that my architect created near a doorway, and have lined it from (nearly) floor to ceiling with a series of bas relief sculptures. I'm sure I've broken all sorts of rules, but I like it.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd definitely put them there. I would only put the two as they work well together and each is unique unto itself. Adding a third would take away from the cohesive look that of the two. I'd put yours at eye level and your great aunt's above it centered. Trust your own eye, obviously you're artistic. Btw, I'm an artist. Your work is lovely, I hope you kept it up over the years and, yes, it resembles my hometown of Boston.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those are so great. So, we have concluded that three3apples has no place for her art. Too bad. Well, we don't want it to go to waste, right?

I'll take good care of them!

;-)

Love them t3a.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Decided on this pair and I like them here. I'll figure out the opposing wall tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

in the photo these look way too tiny for the space. in person i think they look much better. i might put my oil opposite these next to the other window.

• chispa
    9 years ago

One thing that jumped out at me ... in the photo were you have the 3 paintings lined up on the floor ... you need to paint that vent the same color as the walls. The vent just ruins the pretty green wall. Pretty easy to do yourselves.

The True Value hardware stores near us will place any paint color into a spray can. That is the easiest way, several light spray coats to cover. I've also done it with a paint brush, you just have to do several thin coats .

I have several vents I have to do myself. I even had the colors placed in the spray cans, but haven't gotten to it yet!

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I do need to paint that vent, thanks for the reminder!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Threeapples, love the drapes and love the artwork. I can't wait to see your piece hung also.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. It really doesn't look this awful in person! Haha. I'll hang my painting opposite tomorrow, but I have no idea what to hang on the larger adjoining walls. Likely I'll do nothing for now and await the delivery of the last two pieces of furniture for this room and then take another look at it.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I like the composition you've decided on and I really hope you find a place for the third piece too. I also wanted to ditto what kkay said. I like art in unexpected places and art that draws you in to take a closer look. Makes a house more interesting iMO.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Very nice! Three would have been too much for that space and would have lessened the impact of the pieces IMO.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

That was such a good idea to use the two smaller pieces together and have your painting stand alone. Looks very nice!

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments.