Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Is there any way to get crease out of area rug?

TxMarti
12 years ago

Tuesday Morning stores often have some nice looking area rugs, but they are folded down the center. I have a runner I bought somewhere else that was folded in two places, and those creases have never flattened out. I've had that runner for several months and it's in the garage so no big deal, but a big area rug with a permanent crease would drive me nuts.

Comments (22)

• alyssak
    12 years ago

If you lay it on the floor it should come out by itself. It probably a softer thread then your garage runner so it will fade away a lot faster.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I happened to watch million dollar decorators on tv yesterday, and they were instructing the staff of a swanky new place to use a regular household iron on the rug creases....

• User
    12 years ago

I recently saw on the Mil $ Decorators show were they used an iron set on steam to remove the creases in the area rug.

• WannBeHome
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest the same thing as bestyears and chijim. Steam!

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

I've been able to steam creases out of rugs with my steam iron as long as it hasn't been in that position for too long. I haven't been able to steam out the deep marks in my carpet from the legs of my old couch. What a pain.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'll try it on this runner and see what happens.

• User
    12 years ago

I've been able to steam creases out of rugs with my steam iron as long as it hasn't been in that position for too long. I haven't been able to steam out the deep marks in my carpet from the legs of my old couch. What a pain.

I seem to recall seeing you use ice cubes for those.

Jim

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Jim - thanks for the tip - I'm willing to try just about anything. Thanks again.

• peaches12345
    12 years ago

Definetely the ice works on carpet. Just put an ice cube in the furniture depression in your carpet and it will fluff the yarn back up. Done it for years.

• juleecat
    12 years ago

Ice cube, then fluff gently with a fork.........

• User
    12 years ago

Wow. I remember the ice cube thing. I swear I tried it and it didn't work. I may be super dense at times so could you give full instructions? I don't remember the gently fluffing with a fork... and I am not being facetious - so please do share. thanks

• CharBerry
    9 years ago

I've got same problem with my new area rug. It's on my new hardwood floor so really scared to try iron or steam. Have put heavy books (law books) and it still didn't come out. I have always heard of the ice cube thing.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

For a smaller rug, I'd take it outside to steam it. I would never do it over a wood floor. I've used the ice cube trick with finger fluffing. Hmmm, that doesn't sound very appropriate!

I just got a very worn rug from a shop and it has a corner that has curled. I think I'm going do the steam trick. Although, it's so steamy outside right now a few hours may limp it right up!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I would remove it from the wood floors then use a steam mop on the crease. It works much better than the iron and can't accidentally burn the rug. A clothes steamer works too.

• Ilene Perl
    9 years ago

I bought one from overstock, the creases from being rolled were horrible. I laid it in the sun for the day, it took them all out.

• dianarich79
    8 years ago

I just received my 8x10 area rug. Many many ripples. So I live in north Carolina..it is always hot and humid...so take it outside?

• Houseofsticks
    8 years ago

I used the rug grip rubbery material on mine and steam it with my floor steamer since I clean them when they come in anyway. I find it easier to flatten curled under rather than curled up. If its a small rug you can tape the backing across to help until walking and furniture placement help.

• phloxisaflower
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought a beautiful Surya 8 x 10 highly patterned wool area rug to use over neutral nylon wall to wall carpet in our den. Almost immediately a long narrow crease appeared that's not only ugly but dangerous. I've almost tripped over it several times. Local carpet stores either say nothing can be done or they're just not interested in trying.

We live in the California desert - very hot, very dry - 4 months of the year. Crease is right next to sliding glass door. So lots of hot dry air. Was thinking of pouring a large amount of water on crease and then placing something very heavy over layers of towels on the crease to flatten it out while it dries.

My other thought was taking a very thin razor blade or very fine sharp knife and slitting the crease in several places in order to let the fibers in the crease relax. I know both of these ideas may sound damaging and absurd, but no more absurd than tripping over the crease and damaging myself.

I know there are many of us out here with this same problem, and would very much appreciate any comments or ideas.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Be careful with ironing, I melted my area rug trying that.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

You need to be sure what the fibers are and check the backing. Wool on a jute or cotton back will take steam but nylon, polypropelene, viscoise, and other synthetics as well as a latex backing can damaged by heat and in some cases, moisture.

Don't put a lot of water on any rug -- that's a good way to cause mildew or rot. I'd try steaming if appropriate -- try face down as well as face up. If not, maybe some gentle heat -- even a hot water bottle or one of those bean/rice bag things you microwave and put on sore muscles or a ceramic bread warmer -- something to retain the heat, but not be too hot. I got a rug that was curlng on both ends -- set granite tiles on top for several days (nothing else).

• Marcia Williams
    5 years ago
    For creases in your carpet where you moved the furniture use ice cubes. Let them melt and dry then run the vacuum over the area.