Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any way to get crease out of area rug?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 12:28

Tuesday Morning stores often have some nice looking area rugs, but they are folded down the center. I have a runner I bought somewhere else that was folded in two places, and those creases have never flattened out. I've had that runner for several months and it's in the garage so no big deal, but a big area rug with a permanent crease would drive me nuts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any way to get crease out of area rug?

If you lay it on the floor it should come out by itself. It probably a softer thread then your garage runner so it will fade away a lot faster.

o

I happened to watch million dollar decorators on tv yesterday, and they were instructing the staff of a swanky new place to use a regular household iron on the rug creases....

o

I recently saw on the Mil $ Decorators show were they used an iron set on steam to remove the creases in the area rug.

o

I was going to suggest the same thing as bestyears and chijim. Steam!

o

I've been able to steam creases out of rugs with my steam iron as long as it hasn't been in that position for too long. I haven't been able to steam out the deep marks in my carpet from the legs of my old couch. What a pain.

o

Thanks! I'll try it on this runner and see what happens.

o

I've been able to steam creases out of rugs with my steam iron as long as it hasn't been in that position for too long. I haven't been able to steam out the deep marks in my carpet from the legs of my old couch. What a pain.

I seem to recall seeing you use ice cubes for those.

Jim

o

Jim - thanks for the tip - I'm willing to try just about anything. Thanks again.

o

Definetely the ice works on carpet. Just put an ice cube in the furniture depression in your carpet and it will fluff the yarn back up. Done it for years.

o

Ice cube, then fluff gently with a fork.........

o

Wow. I remember the ice cube thing. I swear I tried it and it didn't work. I may be super dense at times so could you give full instructions? I don't remember the gently fluffing with a fork... and I am not being facetious - so please do share. thanks

o

I've got same problem with my new area rug. It's on my new hardwood floor so really scared to try iron or steam. Have put heavy books (law books) and it still didn't come out. I have always heard of the ice cube thing.

o

If you decide to steam it out of the rug be sure to put a damp towel over the spot to iron and do not directly iron the rug. Otherwise, you could possibly burn the rug! I have used this method to iron out furniture dents in my rugs before. But it takes multiple trials to do it.

o

For a smaller rug, I'd take it outside to steam it. I would never do it over a wood floor. I've used the ice cube trick with finger fluffing. Hmmm, that doesn't sound very appropriate!

I just got a very worn rug from a shop and it has a corner that has curled. I think I'm going do the steam trick. Although, it's so steamy outside right now a few hours may limp it right up!

o

I would remove it from the wood floors then use a steam mop on the crease. It works much better than the iron and can't accidentally burn the rug. A clothes steamer works too.

o

I bought one from overstock, the creases from being rolled were horrible. I laid it in the sun for the day, it took them all out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here