Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faux68

Kitchen backsplash?

Faux68
10 years ago

My style is pretty transitional. I have some modern things mixed with some traditional classic things. The cabinets are traditional. I think the backsplash needs to be more modern to balance it all. What so you think of this? It is brushed so that should help with scratches, etc, right??

At night it took a brown tone. Do you see that now? I want more of a black tone.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Your photo is missing!

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Postings pix.

• prairiegirlz5
    10 years ago

I like the black countertop with the traditional cabinets. Not a fan of glass tiles, too modern IMO.

You could use subway tile with darker grout, and school-house style glass light fixtures and kitchen clock.

If you want a modern twist on the traditional look, use juicy orange for accessories (grounded by the dark brown) and a robin's egg blue on the walls to liven up the overall mood.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree with prairie. The tiles you are showing are more of a modern look.
    If you are set a on small mosaic or multi stacked tile, go with ceramic.
    What is your granite?

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the granite. I am not sure the picture is very accurate. It is a mixed metal look.

I thought it was ok to mix modern and traditional for a transitional look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of the tile you selected either...in the pic, it looks too flashy...too vegas...to go with the beautiful traditional cabinetry. I don't think subway tile will work either though.

I think you can select a better mosaic tile (stone, glass, or some combo) that will work well with your lovely counter and give you some modern flair and bling. For example, I love this kitchen...the backsplash honors the tradition yet adds some zest.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I love glass tiles and have them as our BS, but I just don't feel they work with your cabinets and counters. I agree, stone would be a better choice, or something like Fire and Ice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images Fire and Ice BS

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

For me, it's too many dark elements...dark cabs, counters, BS...there needs to be some relief and contrast. What are the floors? I think I would pick a tile that goes with the lightest color in your granite. But in the end, it's your kitchen and you should go with what will make you happy.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I'd choose something other than glass, especially if you plan to stay for awhile. The glass tiles are so trendy that once their day has passed your kitchen will look dated, plus they are so overdone. I think a traditional stone backsplash would be gorgeous.

I agree though -- get what makes you happy!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Or, perhaps something more traditional like white/cream subways with an accent strip of the tile you like.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

I wouldn't do the small, contrast-y mosaic with your style of cabinets. It's TOO modern/trendy, IMHO, to give you what you're wanting. Now, I'm not saying you need to do travertine or crackled off-white subways. You can tweak it a bit more than that. I'm just saying that the small square mosaic, or the thin strippy mosaic that you have shown, will look incongruous rather than morph magically into something "transitional".

If you want glass, consider a glass subway. It's a traditional form, but in a more updated material. If you want mosaic, go with a stone or ceramic, and go with something that stays in a narrower range of tones without the "bling". It's the "bling" that I think rings hollow to me when I see it in what is otherwise a lovely traditional/transitional kitchen with raised panel doors and rope molding.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

Caramel colored glass subway tiles would be pretty. I like that idea or a natural travertine or limestone backsplash that would give texture without color. The cabinets and counters are beautiful and you dont wont anything to compete with them.

• noellabelle
    10 years ago

I would pick something fairly subtle to let your gorgeous countertop and lovely cabinets be the one to shine. I think the glass would be competing too much with the counters. I have simple white subway tiles and love them with my whiteish granite, which is my kitchen's flashiest feature.

• rosie
    10 years ago

But subway was not traditional in its era, it was modern. It was flat, utilitarian, and above all, with sanitation issues in mind, easily cleaned. To me, subway is not traditional at all in the way those cabinets are, which throw back to a very different era and a completely different aesthetic. It's just currently...ubiquitous.

Faux68, I also would be wanting to add a little modern edge and interest to the picture. I don't have any tile ideas to suggest except that I would usually prefer to add the edge with art on a very simple background. Note that the use of art is itself downright edgy in that it's so uncommon compared to standard backsplash materials, also that the possibilities it offers are...fantastic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree with rosie...I don't think subway tile will give you the look you want at all. It reads cottage to me which is not where you said you wanted to go. It is also trendy, but not modern. I'm old enough to remember when subway tile was out before it became popular again.

You might also consider doing something with a design to the backsplash. GF used more modern shaped tile blended with a solid coordinating background which worked well with her granite and her traditional cabinetry.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I think rich colored glass tile (not necessarily a 3 by 6) would add a transitional vibe and some needed light reflection. I would also stay away from anything too busy - there seems to be a lot of pattern in the granite.

It would be helpful to see a wider photo of the kitchen.

This post was edited by deee on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 9:19

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I have the same granite. I used copper slate for my backsplash.

• User
    10 years ago

Back painted glass. In a COLOR. Like a soothing light olivey green for some contrast with the reds. Or bolder. Tone on tone. Like the orangey red from the Tan Brown granite.