Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Blog Viewer?

fluffybutt
10 years ago

I thought I saw somewhere that there is a thing that helps you keep track of the blogs you are following. Does anyone use one of these?

Comments (18)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

You mean something like bloglovin?

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure, I'll check it out--thanks. I'm thinking about something that you check and it will post if the blogs you follow have updates. That way you don't have to check each one.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooooh, that looks good!! Kind of like a Pinterest for blogs. Thanks!!!

• htnspz
    10 years ago

I used to use Google Reader but they are shutting down so I am trying feedly.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Marti. That is just what I was looking for.

• htnspz
    10 years ago

I tried bloglovin last night but because it opens up every blog page, it took a while to load on my computer (all of those images and ads).

At first I had problems with Feedly but I think I've finally figured out how to use it.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have that many blogs so it was pretty quick for me. I've never followed blogs regularly except for Mrs Howard Personal Shopper and Putting Me Together (fashion). But I'm going to start following a few more so this is great.

• htnspz
    10 years ago

When I was making the switch, I noticed I was following 176 blogs!!!!!!! So, yeah I need fast load times and a good spring cleaning!

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holy cow! What are your favorites?

• htnspz
    10 years ago

Let me raid my blog folder:
    No particular order

Coco+Kelley
    Design Dump
    Emily A Clark
    La Dolce Vita
    Classic Casual Home
    Greige
    Gold and Gray
    Elements of Style
    For the Love of a House
    South Shore Decorating

Young House Love: Their style isn't my thing but I like to keep up with what they're up to like a tv show

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I'm a little surprised more folks aren't using RSS feeds, especially Google Reader. I absolutely love GR, am sorry it is being discontinued. Have to figure out how to use feedly I guess, just haven't put time into going over and deciphering what and how to shift everything over.

Blog readers make life sooooo much easier if you like to follow favorites. However, I too have a pile of blogs in my feed that I need to cull. Guess that's the silver lining to shifting from one system to another!

Ann

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Be really careful with Feedly. I jumped on their bandwagon early on when the news hit about Google Reader shutting down - they are CNet's #1 recommendation and I trust CNet.. I liked it at first but then noticed it was a bully and interfering with my computer operation so I removed it. Sort of. I THOUGHT I removed it through Add/Delete programs but then noticed a shadow Feedly icon that would appear and disappear (depending on the site I was at) in the lower right corner of my screen. Did a search for Feedly removal and stumbled on TONS of complaints about it being a space hog and the same interference I had and that it doesn't allow complete removal!!! Everyone had the same shadow icon. Feedly continues to run in the background even after removal.

I'm in CO visiting my son now and last night he was able to do some computer guru magic and found where it was it was hidden - finally gone. Now I just have to figure out what to replace GR with - and fast since it disappears 7/1.

• htnspz
    10 years ago

huh,I don't know why it's on your computer. I have a mac and I did a search and nothing came up. I have it as a bookmark and that's all. It's just like google reader where I go to the website. Maybe they realized it was a problem and removed the option to download it.

• htnspz
    10 years ago

Just saw that there is a feedly button next to my browser and read that it is like an extension on the computer. So far no problems and don't see it running in the background. I'll update if I notice anything strange.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your list, htnspz. I don't follow many but I'm really liking:

Mrs Howard Personal Shopper
    Putting Me Together (fashion)
    Classic Casual Home
    Pure Style Home
    Maria Killam

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I used to use bloglines, but on the iPad, I use flipboard

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Thought I'd update this - after struggling to get Feedly off my computer I was hesitant to try another add on reader and set up a folder in my bookmarks just for blogs I follow. But that requires checking each one daily or whenever I want to see if there's a new post. So I caved and tried Bloglovin and I love it. In some ways I like it even more than Google Reader. It throws a tiny icon up in the right corner where I have extensions and it adds a number when there is an update to any blog I follow - I know right away if there are 20 updates or only 1 or none. It's not a space hog or a bully with other programs. Very simple and effective.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really liking bloglovin too. I don't have a whole lot of blogs that I follow but it's still much easier to just check that to see the updates instead of clicking on each blog.