Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyhousewife

Please help me choose between these two samples of wood flooring!

nerdyhousewife
11 years ago

Here are the two color choices I'm debating.

We have a hodgepodge of furniture colors in our house, so it's a tie as far as contrasting with furniture.

We have a traditional style house with white cabinets and woodwork.

I'm worried the one on the left might be too red or dark, while the one on right might be too yellow or rustic. However, these seem to be the best choices in our price range, given all the factors we have to consider (mainly, 2 large dogs and glue down installation over concrete slab).

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I like the one on the left better.

Rustic is more on a darker scale, so I wouldn't worry about that if you're leaning to the yellower wood.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Love the left. I don't see red or dark at all. Rustic is the word that came to mind for the one on the right.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Hard to believe that there's no offering without a pronounced red or yellow tint. I guess I would pick whichever one I liked best with the furniture in my public rooms. I have older oak floors that have faded out to that sort of yellow-orange tone. It works okay with my furniture which is all medium-toned wood, but I sure wish I could have a nice neutral walnut color.

• nerdyhousewife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree it's very surprising that there isn't a warm brown option! I found a couple warm brown options in other brands, but those had a shinier finishes and more pronounced handscraping.

It may be the species - hickory. I saw so many beautiful warm brown walnut choices in the stores, but sadly, walnut is too soft and vulnerable for my two rowdy dogs.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

The one on the left for sure. It's richer looking.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

agree with everyone else. Love the darker one on the left. We just put down a floor similar to that one and were worried that it would be too dark but it wasn't and we love it!

• nerdyhousewife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the opinions! And thanks tfm1134 - that's reassuring to hear.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Gosh on my monitor the one one of the right has a warm brown look. I swear monitors are so difficult to trust. My friend and I were looking for a specific rug and her laptop and mine showed two totally different tones!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd choose the one on the left. If you have a lot of wood tones in your house, I think you'll like keeping the floor on the darker side to ground your things.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Definitely the left!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Left without a doubt.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

NHW, you'll love the Hickory. I think it's the strongest wood when it comes to floor choices. We have two large dogs, and one dog has nails that can't be cut very short because of the "quicks" in them, and she's never scratched the floor. I have, but not the dogs. lol.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

The one on the left is my preference, too. Very pretty.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

The one on the left is my preference, too. Very pretty.

• nerdyhousewife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone - you made a difficult choice very easy. I went ahead and ordered the one on the left. :)

Oakleyok: thank you for mentioning how your dogs haven't scratched the wood! I've been worried that the hickory won't be strong enough and I should have gone exotic... and I really didn't think exotic went with the house. So, hearing this calms my fears.

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

Definitely the one on the left. It's very pretty!