Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Deckover and Restore

anele_gw
9 years ago

We are finally going to work on our deck next weekend.

It is a red color (deck paint) from the POs. DH does NOT want to strip it. He plans to sand what is peeling and then paint over with Deckover.

I want to use gray on the horizontal surfaces and white on the vertical ones.

(1) Deckover does not come in white. I would use Restore only on the vertical surfaces w/the vertical formula sold. Any possible problems with this idea?

(2) Does it sound impossible to go from red to white without stripping? I really don't want to stick with the red . . .

(3) Any other thoughts on these products?

Thank you!

(x-posted in Porches and Decks)

Comments (10)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Are you pressure washing? On our deck we just pressure washed, primed, and painted. We had the primer tinted, but with white you may not need to do that.

LIght color on the horizontal surface will be hard. What about a lighter grey?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

i was interested in Deckover as well, but the reviews don't sound so great. So definitely following this thread.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would recommend against painting decks. They're high maintenance.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Poor quality products coupled with poor quality prep equals money thrown away and a redo much sooner than later.

• corgimum
    9 years ago

Prep is the most important part. I would recommend that you remove as much of the previous color as possible. Restore has very few good reviews. Deckover hasn't been around long enough to know. Based on my research you can plan on redoing the deck again next year if you use Restore. If you can find a solid or semi-solid stain color you like I would recommend that route. White is a tough color to use on an outdoor deck. If you are looking for low maintenance that is not a good choice.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I was talking with my friend the other day, and she said some of these deck products must be used on an unstained/unpainted deck. She is looking for someone to re-stain her deck and replace broken boards. She's not in my area, so I can't really help her from here.

We have a cocoa brown on our deck, and it shows very little dirt. We had a light green before, and it was horrible. We repainted the flat surfaces last year, and this year I only had to touch up. We used Valspar porch and floor paint.

• justretired
    9 years ago

Hi Anele

We finished using the Deck Over product about a month ago. I read the reviews and hope that we are part of the 50% that actually like the product a year from now!

Anyway, I would have to encourage you to remove all of the existing paint or stain before you paint with the Deck Over. I think that is the only hope you have that it will adhere long term and that you have recourse with Behr if it does not. We used the Behr stripping product (sorry cannot remember the exact name) that we found right next to the paint and which the employee at Home Depot recommended. When it was done we were down to bare wood, looked like new. At that point I would have liked to stain but we had already purchased the Deck Over and had it mixed in walnut so could not return.

It looks really nice right now so fingers crossed. I cannot comment on the Restore but I like your color choices. Good luck, I will warn you that, for me, the most tedious process was forcing the pudding-thick Deck Over into the cracks between floor boards!

Just Retired:)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gscience, we were not planning on power washing. Did a pro do it for you or was it DIY? When you redid the color, did you strip first?

RE: the light color on a horizontal surface-- that is where the gray is going. I am not sure how dark yet.

Nosoccer, yes, I have the same reservations.

Tibb, what do you suggest instead?

Holly, I hear you on the prep, but when you say low-quality materials, what is the alternative?

Corgimum, yes, I agree about Restore. I was only considering it for vertical surfaces, and only because of the color.

Just Retired, would you please tell me more about the product you used to strip the paint? I would prefer to strip the deck as well, but have to convince DH it is worth it.

DH is basing his opinion on our neighbors' experience. They had a painted deck, and only sanded (didn't strip) as needed last summer, and used Deckover. We had a terrible winter, with endless snow, and they said this yr the deck looks great with only a few minor issues. It's only been a year . . .but at least good so far. This is what has convinced my DH.

I suppose if we strip the deck, then we could stain, as Just said. If we go that route, what products do you recommend? Seems everything I read gets bad or iffy reviews, even ones recommended by pros. (And I know there are many factors, like prep, climate, etc.)

• justretired
    9 years ago

Anele

Here is the link. I do think you are giving the Deck Over the best chance of succeeding long term if you use this product. Of course, many have complained about the product so who really knows. Good luck. it is a lot of work!

Here is a link that might be useful: Behr Wood Stain and Finish Stripper

• justretired
    9 years ago

Just to clarify, I did not mean that there have been complaints related to the Stain and Finish Stripper. I meant that there have been mixed reviews about the DeckOver. Sorry if I caused confusion.

JR