Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

New Thread - UPDATED desk area

Christy Bell
9 years ago

So, I'm not completely sold on the bookcases on the wall, but thought I'd go ahead and start decorating to see where I'm at. I'd love opinions on the space and if you think I'm headed in the right direction.

If I didn't do the bookcases, I would place my large piece of art on that wall with a tall plant or something next to it.

If I kept the bookcases I could also lose the desk and add an upholstered chair there (leather on sides and has an ottoman) that belonged to my husbands grandmother, with a side table - after we get our console table that will go behind the sectional sofa.

For some reason I'm feeling indifferent about this space. Not sure why. What am I missing?

Comments (36)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View 2

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about one bookcase and your art? Would you consider angling the desk the other way, so you would be looking out the window? It looks a little like a reception area to me as it is. I also think I'd try the other large cabinet you pictured in your last thread (can't recall what it was) if it isn't too much of a bear to move around. It might look more decorative and less "officey".

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL - Yes, a reception area! Perspectives are always so good! I'll give it a try.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the bookcases, but I don't like the table-y looking desk placed in a corner. I might like it if it was a more substantial desk. What if you turned it so the bookcases were behind it? Then you could also look out the window. I would add something on the open side of the table to give it a little more presence, and I'd also add a rug.

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

Can't remember from your first thread, but do you use this desk? To me, the area does look a little like a reception areaâ¦."Welcome to our home" :). I think it also looks a little "brown". I don't love the bookcasesâ¦.maybe the other hutch or lose all of that & just put art on the wall. If you plan to use it as an actual little office, could you put the table that now sits behind your sofa onto the wall where bookcases are, with art above. Then it could house a printer, shredder, etc.

It's such a cool spaceâ¦.needs to have a purpose!

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do use the desk for my laptop only. No printer or anything else needed. We do have an actual office in the house. Eventually, we will have a large buffet (one that extends out into a dining table) that will go on this wall under art. My vision was to also have two chairs with a table in between in front of the bay window once we get the buffet or have the chairs flank the buffet and double as seating for the table. All this right now is temporary and am using items I already own. I could paint the bookcases a distressed gray or something. Could also paint the backs of them a pretty color. Got them off Craigslist so I'm open to changing them up.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I think it needs some contrast - monochrome is fine with me so long as there is some variation in lights/darks but everything in the room seems to be of almost the same light brown.

I would paint the walls a nice medium blue, but if painting is not in your plans maybe a rug or some curtains to bring in an accent color or some variation in the intensity - much darker or lighter color?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I got the console table I had ordered. I think the scale is much better - chunky. However, I'm feeling overwhelmed by brown/wood. I'm actually considering a sideboard where the bookcases are painted in a distressed yellow or something (color) with art above it and the console table where it is, or switching them - console table under art and sideboard behind sectional. What do you all think? Or, maybe you like it the way it is and it just need tweaking. Don't know why this is so difficult. I did decide that the desk is too delicate for the heavy furniture we have going on.

This post was edited by christyinco on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:34

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up view

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Console Table - not decorated yet

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view. Old desk/drop leaf table in that place for now - not sure that it works.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I need something under the mirror to balance the room (like a bench) or two chairs centered under the window as a conversation area?

• rgps
    9 years ago

I rally like this new arrangement. The chair is begging for a snazzy-a$$ pillow to join it. How about some color there.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Saw this on Craigslist - only $150 and is 81" long x 36" tall (would fit that bookcase wall great). I could repaint it another color. Thoughts?

http://denver.craigslist.org/fuo/4555484675.html

This post was edited by christyinco on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:10

• teacats
    9 years ago

Your whole room looks warm and wonderful -- if you need a dash of color -- look for some fun (and easy to change) accessories -- like filling the big bowl on the console table with green or red apples. Simple -- but effective!

I do like the desk in its new place -- still usable and handy!

Yes -- consider a small painted cabinet under the mirror by the front door (always handy!)

Add a standing lamp by the reading chair -- and yes -- if there is room -- another chair would look great too! For a quick dash of color -- add a colorful pillow! :)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks teacats! I did add the lamp and a side table - looks better. Going to look for a small cabinet this week and perhaps a coat rack in the corner by the door with some hanging pictures (move that shelf). I'll post more later.

This is a picture I saw as an inspiration to adding two chairs in front of the window.

This post was edited by christyinco on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:36

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was another pic I found for inspiration. The chairs are covered in the same fabric I have on some of my pillows on sectional!

This post was edited by christyinco on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 15:08

• amykath
    9 years ago

Christy, that is a steal! I would be all over that!!!! I wish I lived in Denver.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

#1 - I like this arrangement a lot. Not too busy.
    #2 - I would love that whatever it is thing. It would make a great buffet.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh, get that piece! It's gorgeous and will give a whole different feel to that area. I really don't like being so critical, and I know you are trying different things to get it right for you, but to me that area went from a reception area (with the desk) to a waiting room (without the desk). :-) If you get that new piece, I think the horizontal orientation, maybe with some great art or perhaps your round mirror over it, some lamps on either end, will look better than the tall bookcases. I might then look for a piece that is taller (like a secretary or ?) to go by the door.

I wouldn't have the console table and the desk both behind your sectional. I'd be inclined to have the console on the stair side where the desk is now, but it might depend on whether you get the new piece as to where I think the console should live.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That piece is great, and perfect, and functional. Perfect.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - another buffet I saw today. Not as long but taller. Already grey color and would work with the Ikat fabrics I have going on. Still a good price and closer. Thoughts?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - another buffet I saw today. Not as long but taller. Already grey color and would work with the Ikat fabrics I have going on. Still a good price and closer. Thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the first one for that spot much better. Maybe hang a huge mirror or piece of art over it, or install open shelving?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love the first one, and it's color :)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like the first one much more.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay! Going to see the first buffet tomorrow morning. Will update later.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'm chiming in late (I was on vacation last week).

I love the first buffet thing you showed!

I think part of the problem with the bookcases is that they are not meant to be pushed together, because of the trim on the bottom. So you end up with a gap in the middle instead of one continuous piece, and to me it feels like they were put there temporarily while you figured out where to put them. I love bookcases, and used to have 3 in my living room. When I painted a few years ago, I took everything out, and only put one bookcase back in. The room feels SO much bigger!

You have a lot going on in your room, with the furniture, fireplace, plants, and view of the kitchen. The bookcases - and the items on them - tend to get lost in the shuffle. I think the sideboard/buffet piece with artwork over it will make that wall more of a focal point.

Do you have another room that could use the bookcases?

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for all the support and suggestions you've offered. I went to see the buffet today and it is a no-go. In very rough shape and not even worth the $150, plus left outside in the rain - yuk.

I actually moved the new console table I have to the bookcase wall and hung the art above it. Moved the desk where the console table was for now. I think I would still like a buffet type piece that could go behind the sectional when you first walk in the door. I will just keep a lookout for one that will work. At least I have an idea now of what I need. I'll post new pics when I get a chance. Needless to say - bookcases are out.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So here is a picture of the art above the console on that wall. It still needs more. I just think I need a large piece on that wall. I'm considering the piece of furniture below - from Crate and Barrel. Large (83" long x 33" h x 20" deep). Would come up 3" higher than current console and fill up more of that wall with it's length. I could then find a buffet/sideboard to go behind sectional. I think I could find a sideboard in a smaller size more easily and the cost would be more manageable. I would return the current console table I have.

Another option is to purchase a sideboard (with slats in doors) from RH Outlet. It is 79" long and about the same width and height as the one from C&B. Move current console table back behind sectional.

What do you all think? I'm also considering the two chairs in front of the window with this new grouping. Keeping it simple and functional.

I don't know. It's starting to feel like I'm going backwards. I haven't painted this wall yet and maybe I need to do that to get a better feel. The color I'm painting this room is Nantucket Dune by SW.

This post was edited by christyinco on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:24

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Console from Crate & Barrel for under art.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RH Buffet at Outlet

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of course another option is to just add a round table with chairs in that corner - art on the wall. Good deals on Craigslist.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/fuo/4504927994.html

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like this best of all you've done, but do think you could use a more substantial piece there. The art really adds to the space, I think. Can you take a pic from farther away, like the other ones?

Would your family use a table and chairs there? Like for a game room?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

LOVE the RH buffet! It's perfect, has the heft and depth you need, and will be great for storage. It's gorgeous to boot.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A final update..... I went into Pottery Barn yesterday and ended up talking to a design consultant in there. Showed her pics of my area and she laid it all out for me - and made it seem so easy. She said keep the bookcases (could paint them grey if I wanted), do two chairs in front of window with table in between with lamp. Console table behind sectional on door side and other console/desk on other sectional side. Add a small cabinet under the round mirror.

She told me that my problem is that I've been trying to squeeze everything in the corner and need to add flow, hence the other chair and table under mirror. I moved everything into those positions and it feels great. Much of what was suggested by you all. I don't have the other chair or cabinet yet, but will post final pics when I do.

Thanks to all for your support and patience!