Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

If I love French Country, am I going the wrong direction?

msrose
13 years ago

Here's a picture of my new house which has dark cabinets in the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here's my furniture.

I eventually want to get a sofa similar to one of these:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'm thinking about buying this desk, which will go where the previous owner has a china cabinet:

{{!gwi}}

I also need a TV stand and dining room table and chairs. I love dark furniture, but I'm wondering if I'm getting too much of it and should I mix in some ligher off white pieces or what that even look right?

Laurie

Comments (17)

• les917
    13 years ago

If you love dark furniture, then that is the right direction for you. However, if you are concerned, perhaps think about a wood table with a glass top and some type of upholstered ParsonÂs chairs for the dining area, just to lighten up the feel of the overall space.

Also consider bringing in things like a mirror over the fireplace to bounce light in the space, perhaps some glass apothecary jars and metallic touches, again to keep from having everything dark.

If your artwork is coming in from the other space, consider changing out matting to something a bit softer in tone, too.

Very nice new digs!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I don't think you need light colored wood furniture in order to have a french country look. And it could be tricky to get light colored wood to fit in. I like what you have chosen so far. The desk is pretty, but is it practical? It would not be for me as a computer desk. The previous owner's hutch gives some interesting height variation.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The sofas and the desk you are showing are more English inspired than French. Your coffee table is French inspired.

This sofa (image from 1stdibs) is French:

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

As is this French Provincial Desk (also 1stdibs). Much of this furniture did have a dark finish. If you are going for a French country look, the shape of the things you are looking at is wrong, not necessarily the finish. Are you sure its not more English country you like?

{{!gwi}}

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

graywings - Just curious, what's not practical about the desk? The front of the drawer folds down for a keyboard. I've never actually had one like that, so I didn't know if it would be more awkward to use.

palimpset - hmm...I've never heard of English country before. Since I seem to like both, can I mix them? Is English country a little less fancy than French country?

Laurie

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Here's a great commentary that I found on the Internet about the differences between English and French country. Unfortunately, the author wasn't listed or I would give them credit.

In English Country style, you'll see fabrics with florals, especially roses, along with plaids and stripes. The colors are sometimes faded. French Country fabrics have saturated colors like brick red or golden yellow, and one common design is to have a small repeated element (maybe paisley, or a small bouquet) that is bordered by a color that makes it stand out from the background. Another common French design is toile, a solid color fabric with a drawing in a second color, repeated over and over. Occasionally toile is multi-colored.

French Country wood furniture has gently curved carvings, while English furniture has straighter lines. French furniture and accessories might have scrolled ironwork. English Country style features a lot of wicker furniture, and bamboo. Both will use cane. English upholstered furniture might have button tufting, turned legs and casters.

On the walls in an English room, you'll find framed botanical prints, or other nature prints like seashells or insects. Paintings might be horses or dogs. French rooms are more likely to have paintings of farm animals or birds, and tapestries. Both styles can have paintings of landscapes.

Teapots and lace are examples of decor in English Country rooms. Walking sticks and canes would be nice in a more masculine room. Books are good everywhere. Country French rooms look good with fruit, because they're filled with fruit colors.

Ralph Lauren has an English Country collection here:
    http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/rlhome/coÂ

Pierre Deux is the place to go to see French Country:
    http://www.pierredeux.com/

Hope this helps!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

forhgtv - Thanks for the great description! I can't seem to find the English Country collection at ralph lauren. Can you tell me where to look?

Laurie

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Go to the Home & Design Tab, then Collections, then Hudson Valley and/or Bedford Manor. There used to be still pictures. I think I may have some saved. If I do, I'll post them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph Lauren TV

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

This first one is Bedford Manor:

This is Hudson Valley which is sort of Lauren's idea of an upstate New York eclectic home:

• User
    13 years ago

I can't comment on the styles, but the new house looks wonderful and your furniture (present furniture) looks great-- I love your taste!

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

forhgtv - I really do love French Country, but when it comes to picking things for my own home, I think I am leaning a little more towards the English Country. Either one is beautiful, so I don't guess it matters. I have toile in my bedroom, but dark furniture, so maybe that's a combination of both :)

sheilaaus - Thank you! I haven't moved in yet, so when I look at the pictures, I still can't believe this is my house.

Laurie

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing styles. I love eclecticism. I always call my style "eclectic traditional" because I have furnishings that reflect English, French, Italian and Asian influences all mixed together.

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing styles, either, although I think it's good to have a predominant style.

If you went to a nice home in France decorated with antiques , there's a good chance the home you visit would have some English pieces in it, and visa versa. :)

• megsy
    13 years ago

msrose, wrt that desk -- where will the tower go?

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

megsy - I'll probably set the tower on the floor. I have one of the smaller ones and it's sitting on top of my desk right now, but I'm not sure I want to do that with such a pretty desk.

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Laurie, consider a desk that has hidden CPU tower storage. That way you're tower won't be visible, only your beautiful desk. I am trying to link to a pretty desk by Kathy Ireland, but it doesn't seem to work for me right now. Excuse the copy and paste!
    http://www.computerdeskexperts.com/Cobblestone-Cherry-Computer-Desk-with-Hutch-EX03985.aspx?afid=shoppingcom_cde&mr:referralID=e2a339a2-7d3a-11df-8652-0026b958ace7